• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Ok, hopefully the pictures uploaded. Originally I had a 16" HBAR mid length Ballistic Advantage barrel but it was heavy at 35 ounces, so I put a Faxon 16" fluted heavy match barrel w/ 1:8 twist 223 wylde (27 ounces) with melonite gas tube, and badger ordnance gas block . The lower is fully ambidextrous LWRC. The upper is left handed stag receiver with their nickel boron bcg, and bravo company handguard, and PSA ambi charging handle. Troy industries flip up iron sights, and surefire three-prong flash hider. I eventually want to put a suppressor on it. I also want to find a carbine training course in the Gaithersburg/Frederick area.

Attachments

• AR-15 pic.jpg
      AR-15 pic.jpg
      385 KB · Views: 125
    • AR-15 close-up of barrel w flash hider.jpg
      AR-15 close-up of barrel w flash hider.jpg
      430.9 KB · Views: 128

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Nice
    I used the same barrel on my friends left hand build and it shoots very well.
    Next pictures must be taken with an non neutered mag lol

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    RRomig,

Thank you! I'm really liking the weight savings on that Faxon barrel. Yeah, I've got to get some standard capacity magazine. Going to see if I can find some gun shops in Virginia, WV, or PA to pick up some magazines.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Ok, hopefully the pictures uploaded. Originally I had a 16" HBAR mid length Ballistic Advantage barrel but it was heavy at 35 ounces, so I put a Faxon 16" fluted heavy match barrel w/ 1:8 twist 223 wylde (27 ounces) with melonite gas tube, and badger ordnance gas block . The lower is fully ambidextrous LWRC. The upper is left handed stag receiver with their nickel boron bcg, and bravo company handguard, and PSA ambi charging handle. Troy industries flip up iron sights, and surefire three-prong flash hider. I eventually want to put a suppressor on it. I also want to find a carbine training course in the Gaithersburg/Frederick area.
    Nice rig. I really like the fit and finish of Faxon barrels, although I have heard they are pretty wildly overgassed. This was some time ago, though, so perhaps it's different now. That reputation alone has kept me from ever buying one.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    SkiPatrolDude,

Thank you for the heads up on the overgassed possibility. If I have issues, maybe I'll swap out the badger ordnance gas block with an adjustable gas block and/or put a heavier buffer in such as H3.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Nice rig. I really like the fit and finish of Faxon barrels, although I have heard they are pretty wildly overgassed. This was some time ago, though, so perhaps it's different now. That reputation alone has kept me from ever buying one.
    I’ve only experienced OG on a 6.5 creedmoor and luckily it had an adjustable gas block. Ever since then I’ve always installed agb on all my builds and as it normally goes they are not needed. I’ve used a few faxons with no issues. So maybe it is just an older issue.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    My first set of ordered furniture arrived today & is installed. Went with the Romeo5 for right now with some flip up sights w/ fiber optics. Just waiting on my Warhammer charging handle, BAD ambi selector, and Bravo Company vertical grip. Then it’s off to Va to the range for some practice and mags.
    381592517746d623d35cd73fcc054ebc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    My first set of ordered furniture arrived today & is installed. Went with the Romeo5 for right now with some flip up sights w/ fiber optics. Just waiting on my Warhammer charging handle, BAD ambi selector, and Bravo Company vertical grip. Then it’s off to Va to the range for some practice and mags.
    381592517746d623d35cd73fcc054ebc.jpg

Try bumping the red dot forward one slot on the rail. Just be sure to not let it come in contact with the handguard.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Try bumping the red dot forward one slot on the rail. Just be sure to not let it come in contact with the handguard.

I was looking at a bunch of yt videos and everyone basically had a red dot on the 2nd notch. Seems too close to the handguard, but I’m no expert with this stuff yet.
    498e529c321341d7384e49da098837af.jpg

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I was looking at a bunch of yt videos and everyone basically had a red dot on the 2nd notch. Seems too close to the handguard, but I’m no expert with this stuff yet.

It appears that it’s not touching the handguard. I think you’re good to go in that position. Generally speaking, you want your red dot as far forward on the upper receiver as you can get it.

I’m a total optics snob but my friend has put his Romeo 5 through its paces and it’s held up well. Good optic for the $.

I would consider some blue loctite for the mount threads.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

At that angle it looks like it is touching the first rail section of the handguard. Put it back where it was. My mistake on spacing.

Allan R

Dec 22, 2023
    Baltimore
    Thanks for this great post!
    Answered a lot of questions, some I didn;t even know I had.
    Just got a Ruger SR 556 because I learned on the M 16 and was comfortable with it.

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    Well i saw one held on by screws might not look as good. I want to get green or wood grain hand grip and stock. Ack the fake bird cage is for standard barrels can somebody find one that fits please.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom