• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    My walk from the barn to our farthest stand is +/-400 yds, I carry my crossbow with it's quiver and the seat pad(s) for the stand or my gun. Knife is on my belt, butt out tool n string is in a cargo pocket. Fone and hanky in back pockets, I'm wearing my headlamp and I have 3 more pants pockets for snacks and a drink. In cooler weather I have 2 shirt pockets and if it's really cold 2 coat pockets also. Living where I hunt I can travel light.

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    I basically have to walk my butt off for most spots. I'm not exactly a lightweight backpack hunter but I do have to travel a mile for several spots, more for the deep woods spots.

My pack is an LL Bean Blaze Orange day pack and inside:
    • Hunting License
    • Zip Ties
    • Alaska Knives Whitetail Skinning Knife
    • Ammo wallet for 30.06
    • Several big and small ziploc bags for nasty bits of deer I like to eat
    • Uninsulated Dishwashing Gloves
    • UA Balaclava
    • UA Glove Liners
    • Ragg Wool fingerless Gloves
    • Firesteel
    • Petzl Headlamp
    • Garmin Monterra Android GPS /w 24K Topos loaded
    • Deer Drag
    • MRE Toilet Paper
    • Field Stripped MRE of dubious quality
    • Extra MRE Heater
    • Source 2L water bladder with insulated drinking tube
    • EPIC Bars (The Bison and Lamb are my favorite)
    • Clif Mojo Bars
    • Peppermint candy for "lipstick on a pig" breath scent management

During Flintlock Muzzleloader Season I have a Possibles bag I made from a Russian military surplus gasmask bag. I generally go much lighter with this setup. In it I have:
    • 6x .50 Cal Lead Round Balls
    • Daisy Cutter lubed wads in a plastic baggie
    • Powder Measure pre-set to 100g
    • Brass Powder Horn
    • Priming Powder dispenser
    • Nipple Pick (giggity)
    • 1 spare flint
    • Small screwdriver for adjusting flint jaws
    • Ball Starter
    • Ball Puller
    • Patch Puller
    • Deer Drag
    • Knife
    • Gutting Gloves

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    taking a picture requires unpacking... and generally I keep it packed after Sept 7th so that I can leave at a moment notice (my schedule can be funky).

I have most everything pictured except the call (dont use em). I also have an extra deer drag, plus extra ropes. I also have 3 small portable hanging work lights for night gutting (hang on tree). Plus a bottle of cover scent, obviously.

Not pictachios, snickers or Kind bars. Plus, where legal, some treats for the deer.

Oh and I dont use the tree hanger pictured I just carrabiner stuff to a hammock strap around the tree.

I get ya about the unpacking for pix. In my case I was doing my season load-out and figured I'd snap a pic. My hunting won't start until late October.

For all you "minimalists" out there...:beer: Most guys I know who carry only the bare necessities usually seem to be the first ones out of their trees. I go in before sun up and come out after sundown most days. No matter the temps(colder is way better that warmer). I love to just sit out there and enjoy nature. :o

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have a 100 yard walk to my stand. Weapon, license, coffee, and snacks.

My kill kit if I think about it. If not I walk back to the house to get it if I need it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depends. My minimalist is a surplus Multicam buttpack.

License
    Zip ties
    Two pairs of latex gloves
    Three tags (because I am an optimist and my neighbor who I hunt with a lot often doesn't remember to bring one)
    Folding knife
    Gutting knife
    First aid kit with added quik clot and trauma pad
    Black diamond LED head lamp (cosmo I think?)
    Black diamond LED lantern (don't recall which one, the 4 AAA one)
    30ft paracord
    1qt canteen
    Rangefinder or binos (8x32)
    Long sleeve camo shirt or ACU Multicam jacket (I'll usually tie around my waist while still hunting once I warm up)
    Usually a snack bar or two. Maybe a small haggis of trail mix.

Haven't don't this crossbow yet. For ML I'll keep a 35mm film canister with some foam and a dozen primer caps in it. 1 quick reload tube with 5 sabots and 240gr .44 cal XTP bullets. 5 premeasured charges of FFFg 777. My muzzleloader. For rifle leave that stuff behind and either an extra clip with 8rnds in it in addition to what is in the rifle or 5 rounds in a padded holder tucked in a pocket in addition to the 5 in the rifle (AR vs .308 bolt action). Shotgun I'll take 8 rounds in a pouch.

Going heavier all of the above, except it goes in a Midway Rendezvous pack. Probably more food. Maybe a 12oz thermos with some hot soup if planning to be out all day and it is cold. Usually some dried fruit and jerky in addition to the snacks mentioned earlier. Likely long underwear/base layer goes in the pack. When I setup, I put it on, when I go to still hunt if no success on a morning sit it comes off and goes in my pack to go back on for an evening sit. Probably a deer call. Probably a 2nd canteen. Almost certainly an extra pair of socks for while I sit. Also hat, face mask and gloves.

Usually I take a pack if I will be out all day and won't make my way to my car mid day for lunch. And/or when it is later in the season and cold.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depends. My minimalist is a surplus Multicam buttpack.

License
    Zip ties
    Two pairs of latex gloves
    Three tags (because I am an optimist and my neighbor who I hunt with a lot often doesn't remember to bring one)
    Folding knife
    Gutting knife
    First aid kit with added quik clot and trauma pad
    Black diamond LED head lamp (cosmo I think?)
    Black diamond LED lantern (don't recall which one, the 4 AAA one)
    30ft paracord
    1qt canteen
    Rangefinder or binos (8x32)
    Long sleeve camo shirt or ACU Multicam jacket (I'll usually tie around my waist while still hunting once I warm up)
    Usually a snack bar or two. Maybe a small haggis of trail mix.

Haven't don't this crossbow yet. For ML I'll keep a 35mm film canister with some foam and a dozen primer caps in it. 1 quick reload tube with 5 sabots and 240gr .44 cal XTP bullets. 5 premeasured charges of FFFg 777. My muzzleloader. For rifle leave that stuff behind and either an extra clip with 8rnds in it in addition to what is in the rifle or 5 rounds in a padded holder tucked in a pocket in addition to the 5 in the rifle (AR vs .308 bolt action). Shotgun I'll take 8 rounds in a pouch.

Going heavier all of the above, except it goes in a Midway Rendezvous pack. Probably more food. Maybe a 12oz thermos with some hot soup if planning to be out all day and it is cold. Usually some dried fruit and jerky in addition to the snacks mentioned earlier. Likely long underwear/base layer goes in the pack. When I setup, I put it on, when I go to still hunt if no success on a morning sit it comes off and goes in my pack to go back on for an evening sit. Probably a deer call. Probably a 2nd canteen. Almost certainly an extra pair of socks for while I sit. Also hat, face mask and gloves.

Usually I take a pack if I will be out all day and won't make my way to my car mid day for lunch. And/or when it is later in the season and cold.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    From a thread that helped Neot start out

attachment.php

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    550 cord on top for deer dragging. 550 cord is stronger than you think. Plus I carry extra if additional strands are needed.

The trick is to fashion a handle. I will admit, I don't have to drag a deer more than 100 yards.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    550 cord on top for deer dragging. 550 cord is stronger than you think. Plus I carry extra if additional strands are needed.

The trick is to fashion a handle. I will admit, I don't have to drag a deer more than 100 yards.
    You must hate your hands.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That is what a handle is for ;)

Never use your hands. There are plenty of sticks to choose from in the woods.
    I have several nylon "drag straps" (as I call them). Really they were safety belts that were included in older treestand purchases, before it became normal to include harnesses. About 6 or 7 feet long, 1-1/2" to 2" wide in a loop with a cinch buckle. Best drag strap ever, similar to what you can buy as a commercial drag strap, but these were free (sorta I suppose). Wrap one revolution around the hand & you're off, plus the cinch buckle slides down around the neck, no tying knots etc... You can also loop around your shoulder for more leverage if needed. And you can't tie this too tight that you have to cut it free, like parachord.

Sorry to all for straying off OP topic....

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    For all you "minimalists" out there...:beer: Most guys I know who carry only the bare necessities usually seem to be the first ones out of their trees. I go in before sun up and come out after sundown most days. No matter the temps(colder is way better that warmer). I love to just sit out there and enjoy nature. :o

My ADD ( evan at age 55) wouldn"t go for that. I've never been able to sit in a stand for more than 3-4 hrs after sun-up, my mind starts thinking of all the other stuff that needs doing. :sad20:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I get ya about the unpacking for pix. In my case I was doing my season load-out and figured I'd snap a pic. My hunting won't start until late October.

Definitely a minimalist. After I shoot a deer, I'll pack my stand out and grab my deer cart - a three minute walk each way :D
    I generally stay in from an hour before shooting light until 11:30 - 12pm for the morning hunt and get back out by 2pm and stay until dark for the evening. Those two hours really help! I've tried to stay in all day, but I just start to fidget - which is obviously bad.
    Know you're limits and all... ;)

I read that as I "nut behind my house..."

Which made the rest sound really creepy and peeping tom like.

Yikes! Sorry for the confusion :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    550 chord for dragging? Dragging what, squirrels?

Any port in a storm...

I start out with two drags in my pack. Soon enough, you'll find yourself without a one. Then you scrounge for anything that will work. Para-cord will do the trick. Tie it into a big loop with a water knot and double or even triple it into a smaller loop(doing this makes it easier on 'sensitive' fingers) and haul away.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Was gonna add first aid kit but I think I see one in Outrider's picture. At minimum I carry some band aids, clot gauze, and tourniquet.

Had a guy one time cut the hell out of his thumb in a big field one night, I had a first aid kit in the truck and had to run out and get it. (the truck) so we tied it shut with whatever we could get off his sleeve until I got to him.
    It was like 12 or 14 stitches he got over at the Hospital in Cambridge that night and i think it was opening day but he was there for a week hunting from Baltimore and it ruined his whole trip.
    I used to stash stuff in the woods when I was younger, in a polyethylene bag. Usually like a road flare, a jar of cold packed meat
    some 3/8 rope trail markers stick matches and those little foil blankets. A cheap Chinese hatchet. If you shot something decent heavy plastic sheeting made for an easier drag.
    Now you can just call it in, quarter cape and pack out with a frame. Or get the boys to do it. Thats what they're for right? I don't even think I could run across that old field anymore. This was pre four wheeler and cellphone. I don't know how we survived.
    I only go about a mile in at the Marsh anymore at tops, about a hundred yards to where the phrag starts and maybe not even that much this year.
    Getting tired of it I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom