• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I came REALLY close on an X model .44 and even found 1 in stock at Bass Pro in Hanover. The Wal Mart bargain sealed the deal on the Big Boy, more than $200 cheaper. Of course, that's worked out REALLY well so far. They did make it right and the action is functioning perfectly now. We'll hopefully see how it shoots this weekend.

Personally, I don't mind the .22 style loading tube at all.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Personally, I don't mind the .22 style loading tube at all.

Yeah, it reminds me of the one I had on my very first "real" gun, a Remington Nylon 66 .22LR (that my brother subsequently broke over a bed-frame foot board in a fit of High School rage). Even if you only load 9 rounds into the tube plus one in the chamber, 10 rounds of .44mag out of 20" barrel should solve most problems you're likely to encounter in North America.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Me too which is why I haven’t bought the x model and have asked Henry to make a wood and steel big boy .357 side loader.

A threaded model would be a plus :)

X model is tempting though

Hold the threaded for me, but yeah. I find it hard to believe that Henry isn't all over this. Makes so much sense. Maybe this year's SHOT show??

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    Same here. Got a .45-70 a month or so ago and just haven't got around to firing it.

When I got my part from Henry I really wanted to cycle the action with ammo to make sure it didn't just break again. I didn't want to use live ammo because an inadvertent hammer drop could be catastrophic. It dawned on me that snap caps would be perfect for this. I got a pack of six on Amazon. The only thing you're not getting is recoil, but I don't think that's what broke the ejector in my rifle.

Here's the .45-70 version, 2 for $9.69.
    https://smile.amazon.com/ZOOM-Government-Precision-Snap-45-70-mm/dp/B000MITU2O/ref=sr_1_1?crid=O4DOUTEGPFHJ&dchild=1&keywords=45-70+snap+caps&qid=1601379566&sprefix=45-70+%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom