• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    A while back I posted about a older marlin that I had bought over 20 years ago then sold it, only to buy it back a few months ago.

Anyway I have finally have all the stuff to reload for it. I noticed it had some catchy cycling when I had it the first time. Well last night I loaded up some light 240gr cast swc loads to just shoot some cans with. I knew I may have some cycling issues with the semi wadcutters so I only loaded 5 live ones and a dummy. My buddies 1894 runs lswc just fine so I figured give it a try.

Dummy round hung up on the top of the breach, complete jam. Said to myself ok I was half expecting that. Tried a factory loaded rem 240 gr flat point, which is what I alway shot in it, same result.

I looked into A condition called the marlin jam but I don’t think that is it. I’m curious if it has something to do with the carrier. I don’t have much experience with lever actions and that’s why I’m asking for some info from anybody that knows them better than I do. I can take it apart but I’m not sure what I’m looking for.
    Also is there any tuning that can be done to smooth up the action a bit too?
    Thank you.

Edit: not sure why my pics are always upside down

Attachments

• 2CC760DD-4CB9-4986-B9F6-3D31B0A55774.jpg
      2CC760DD-4CB9-4986-B9F6-3D31B0A55774.jpg
      95 KB · Views: 132

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    @firemn260

Make sure the bolt face is smooth , so the cartridge rim and head can readily slide across it while feeding and cycling.

And in your photo... is the extractor , maybe, digging into the rim ?... or casing the feeding to bind ?

Look over the extractor thoroughly, especially the claw and depth of it. If the extractor claw is "off" somehow, I would think that could cause feeding and less then smooth cycling.

Check for sharp edges on the extractor and possible marks on the brass rim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom