• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I saw they were sold out of FF carbines. I liked the Mutant. Nutnfancy just did a review of the Gen2

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Clandestine sent me the video of the KS-47 Gen 2 last week. Looks like they made necessary improvements. Funny thing was when he saw mine a couple of months back, within 2-3 minutes he diagnosed what needed to be done to make it more compatible with AK-47 mags and these are the steps that PSA has taken (and should have before putting the Gen 1 out to market).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

exactly, so this confirms psa just ignored their customers complaints on the gen 1 rifles.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The upgrades can be done to an existing G1, but it isn't cheap.

I can modify the Bolt to G2 specs, do reliability work to the bolt & carrier, and add a Colt Extractor Spring which exceeeds what PSA did to the G2, but the work runs $145.00

I can also modify the feed ramps to monolithic specs, but that runs another $95.00

Adding in the magazine stops is another $125.00.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    The upgrades can be done to an existing G1, but it isn't cheap.

I can modify the Bolt to G2 specs, do reliability work to the bolt & carrier, and add a Colt Extractor Spring which exceeeds what PSA did to the G2, but the work runs $145.00

I can also modify the feed ramps to monolithic specs, but that runs another $95.00

Adding in the magazine stops is another $125.00.

going based off of what you listed here, I'd bet this is why psa just kept kicking the can down the road and ignoring the problems.

Anyone with a gen 1 been in contacted with psa recently regarding having the gen 2 mods done to the gen 1 under warranty?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    going based off of what you listed here, I'd bet this is why psa just kept kicking the can down the road and ignoring the problems.

Anyone with a gen 1 been in contacted with psa recently regarding having the gen 2 mods done to the gen 1 under warranty?

⁣⁣Did you see in their new video about the Gen 2 that they show the Magpul feed lips, lol. I had heard that they advised some Gen 1 owners in the past to use a bipod to solve the problem - hope this isn't true. Don't know if they're now offering to Gen 1 owners to ship their rifles in to get a Gen 2 upper receiver installed, or minimally selling some of the upgraded parts at a discount to Gen 1 owners that register their rifles with them (or provide proof of ownership).

Despite the issues with Gen 1 KS-47, I still like PSA and the rifle. PSA always puts out an inexpensive product, and won't invest the time or development of AR assemblers that someplace like BCM might. I'm fine with this, in part because SOTAR does upper service work that with my PSA investment, still comes out less expensive than other places that I also shop (for AR-15 complete uppers). Invariably I usually have SOTAR examine my non-PSA stuff too, and Clandestine has found problems, albeit not like some of the PSA AR-15 upper issues (non concentric threading at the muzzle preventing potential use of suppressor, canted front sight posts/gas blocks, etc). PSA has also been good to me when I've had an issue and contacted them - their communication was good (within a day or two) - and they replaced something at expense to them, standing behind their sale. Because I'll likely have SOTAR look at what they do after a potential fix, I've chosen to save time and skip the PSA return step in most instances and just go to SOTAR directly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AC_DC

Aug 11, 2020
    Close up pics of inside the upper, the upper's interior dimensions and exterior dimensions are wider than a standard AR upper.

Bringing this back from the dead.

Stumbled across this thread from a google search, best and most relevant content I could find on the KS47.

------------------

Just picked up a KS47 Gen 2 lower with a BCA reciprocating side charging upper. Previous owner was strapped for cash and didnt have the time to mate the two.

I've test fit the upper/lower and marked the areas that need to be removed to widen the upper's inner dimensions to accept magazines.

The part I'm missing is "depth". Anyone have the depth measurements for how far into the upper to mill out? Looking at the magazine feed lips, it looks like there might be a couple depths to consider. I'd prefer not to mill too deep so the remaining material can also act as a over-insertion tabs. If not, I guess I could pick up a digital caliper and measure the magazine while in the lower to get measurements, but figured I'd ask here first since this thread had the most detailed info I could find.

I know I should just pick up a KS47 upper from PSA and call it a day, but I like the idea of a reciprocating side charging upper for this build, like it's combloc cousin.

Thanks!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm attaching the AR-47 mods. They may or may not work with the KS-47. YMMV, etc.

(I'd just buy the upper, personally.)

Attachments

• ar47rec1.jpg_original.jpg
      ar47rec1.jpg_original.jpg
      44.3 KB · Views: 361
    • ar47car1.jpg_original.jpg
      ar47car1.jpg_original.jpg
      26.3 KB · Views: 265

AC_DC

Aug 11, 2020
    I'm attaching the AR-47 mods. They may or may not work with the KS-47. YMMV, etc.

(I'd just buy the upper, personally.)

Thanks!

So I understand what I'm looking at, these are the specs for modifying a standard upper for an AR47 build?

I was under the impression AR47 builds used standard lowers with stanag-compatible magazine. If so, why would there be a requirement to modify the upper?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was under the impression AR47 builds used standard lowers with stanag-compatible magazine. If so, why would there be a requirement to modify the upper?
    The AR-47s were AK mag lowers. The upper needs to be modified to fit them. PSA is not the first company in this game by a long shot.

n4chtm4hr

YEET
    Oct 9, 2019
    Dirty Burnie
    Bringing this back from the dead.

Stumbled across this thread from a google search, best and most relevant content I could find on the KS47.

------------------

Just picked up a KS47 Gen 2 lower with a BCA reciprocating side charging upper. Previous owner was strapped for cash and didnt have the time to mate the two.

I've test fit the upper/lower and marked the areas that need to be removed to widen the upper's inner dimensions to accept magazines.

The part I'm missing is "depth". Anyone have the depth measurements for how far into the upper to mill out? Looking at the magazine feed lips, it looks like there might be a couple depths to consider. I'd prefer not to mill too deep so the remaining material can also act as a over-insertion tabs. If not, I guess I could pick up a digital caliper and measure the magazine while in the lower to get measurements, but figured I'd ask here first since this thread had the most detailed info I could find.

I know I should just pick up a KS47 upper from PSA and call it a day, but I like the idea of a reciprocating side charging upper for this build, like it's combloc cousin.

Thanks!
    So where did you end up getting a lower? Or did you have it before they apparently just stopped restocking them? I have a similar upper to yours (side charging BCA) that I sent to a machine shop down in SC to be milled to take AK mags. Ordered a KS47 complete lower without noticing the fine print about them not shipping complete receivers to MD. Only issue is the stripped version of that lower is nowhere to be found. Now I have an upper on it’s way back and need to find a KS47 (or similar) lower to put it on.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    The AR-47s were AK mag lowers. The upper needs to be modified to fit them. PSA is not the first company in this game by a long shot.

I prefer the all AR version. They solved the x39 magazine issues a while back when they
    switched from aluminum to stainless steel magazines.
    Only weak point is the extractor if your shooting steel case ammo and what else would you shoot ?....kinda the whole point of owning one and I have 2 now. One is a side charger.
    I also own a CMMG Mutant which uses a AR10 bolt so no broken extractor issues but also no bolt hold open.
    The Mutant is a tank and my most accurate x39 rifle and I have quite a few x39 rifles.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I prefer the all AR version. They solved the x39 magazine issues a while back when they
    switched from aluminum to stainless steel magazines.
    Only weak point is the extractor if your shooting steel case ammo and what else would you shoot ?....kinda the whole point of owning one and I have 2 now. One is a side charger.
    I also own a CMMG Mutant which uses a AR10 bolt so no broken extractor issues but also no bolt hold open.
    The Mutant is a tank and my most accurate x39 rifle and I have quite a few x39 rifles.

Been wanting a Mutant since they came out...when I get around to buying more guns its first on my list. One AK (NHM-91) and a couple thousand rounds of 39. Oh and I bought the thing in 1995 and haven't fired it!

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Been wanting a Mutant since they came out...when I get around to buying more guns its first on my list. One AK (NHM-91) and a couple thousand rounds of 39. Oh and I bought the thing in 1995 and haven't fired it!

I have a Mutant and its extremely well built!! I really enjoy shooting it, and it suppresses excellent!!! I need to save up for the pistol version!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom