Opinions on Remington 783 vs Ruger American?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I see you can get a Remington 783 with scope for $356 on Grab A Gun. I figure the scope can go on a 22 and replace it with a Nikon. It seems like the Remington action and barrel is as good or better than the Ruger American. What do you all think?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Get the ruger, but start saving for a replacement stock. That remington is garbage from a bankrupt company.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I say this as a Remington guy! 700 or nothing.

Iirc in like 12 years it started with the 710, then 715, Then 780 and now 783. There’s a reason they keep changing the model numbers. I wouldn’t buy it.

Not sure about the ruger, so I’ll say nothing. Personally, the 700 isNt much more, I’d go for that.

BTW: Nikon has exited the scope business. If you see any selling, they’re close outs/ discontinue. At least as far as new sales go.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I would go with the Ruger. I had a similar dilemma when I bought my Ruger American Predator. I had originally gone to Cabelas to look for a Remington 700 but tried out the 700, the RAP, and a Bergara B14 (wish I had bought the Bergara). The Ruger action felt better to me than the 700. Plus, in my case, the Ruger had a detachable magazine which I preferred.

I will agree that you will very likely want to eventually get a different stock for it.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The Ruger American series is a quality gun. Don’t even worry about the stock being flimsy, just take it off and file down the inside so it doesn’t touch the barrel and it will be just fine. It’s a 1000y gun for a cheap price.

I thought about getting the 783 because I’m in the market for a 16” .308 or 6.5cm but I’ll probably just have a Ruger barrel chopped down.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The Ruger American series is a quality gun. Don’t even worry about the stock being flimsy, just take it off and file down the inside so it doesn’t touch the barrel and it will be just fine. It’s a 1000y gun for a cheap price.

I thought about getting the 783 because I’m in the market for a 16” .308 or 6.5cm but I’ll probably just have a Ruger barrel chopped down.

Not sure if Ruger does or not, but I could swear that there was a 16" variant of the RA series in 308....

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Not sure if Ruger does or not, but I could swear that there was a 16" variant of the RA series in 308....

It's 18". The Ruger American Predator. It's not exactly a thick, target barrel, but it's a little beefier than the standard Ruger American.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If determined to get a Remington...forget the current product lines and find a nice 788...available and they shoot above their price class. Laminated and polymer stocks are available as well. I've had a 788 in .308 and it shot super well. I have one now in .223 and it's a tack driver.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I had a 783 in .30-06 and it would shoot sub MOA with hand loads. Never had a problem with it. I also have the Ruger American magnum in 300 win mag, it shoots well but only with handloads that are longer then mag length. Either way I think you will be happy. Curious how many posters have actually had a 783.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'm a BIG Remington 700 fan.

In this particular case, I'd take the Ruger American rifle, and I'm not really a Ruger fan, at all (for rifles).

As I get older, I'm liking the Ruger 77 and now the Hawkeye, though.

Three of my friends at the sportsman's club have the Ruger American;

.30-'06

They REALLY like them.

IF you can find it, the Savage Axis is a VERY accurate rifle, for the $$$.

I have a Savage Axis in .308, and my son has both the '06 and a .243.
    I've not shot the .308 (won it in a raffle), but, my son has shot his quite a bit and loves that '06!!!!

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    When I sold guns for Gander Mountain Probably half of the 783’s we sold (or found when unpacked) had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom