• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    When 7N6 becomes available at inexpensive prices again, I can see the appeal. I have an S&W 5.45 AR and a DIY from a flat AK74. Both are excellent shooters. Currently, I can reload .223 cheaper than 5.45 selling today, so I try not to open the spam cans I have been hoarding since the armored piercing import nonsense.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Price point?
    The fixed stock models they just released were at $899. Sold out in about 2 minutes apparently. Supposed to be folding stock models releasing soon, prob for $100 more.

If they release a folding stock model with an FN CHF/CL barrel, a lot of folks who are regretting not collecting an SLR 104FR will jump on that.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    When 7N6 becomes available at inexpensive prices again, I can see the appeal. I have an S&W 5.45 AR and a DIY from a flat AK74. Both are excellent shooters. Currently, I can reload .223 cheaper than 5.45 selling today, so I try not to open the spam cans I have been hoarding since the armored piercing import nonsense.
    What caused me to get rid of my 5.45 guns was the lack of bullet selection. I am not sure what the market is like overseas, but it would take a lot to convince me that 5.45 can anything that 5.56 can’t. Besides turn a $1000 AK into a $2400 AK, which was pretty awesome for me.

Now that 5.45 ammo prices are starting to come up, I should be able to sell all my mags and ammo pretty easily. I thought about hanging onto the 5.45 ammo and building an AR upper to use for training, but just don’t want to deal with it. Trying to simplify my firearm collection, not make it more complicated.

ETA: Now that I’m out of Maryland, the fact that I can own AK pattern rifles in 7.62x39 helped a lot with my decision. Between 5.45 and 7.62, the older, slower 7.62x39 is well supported by American ammunition manufacturers and occupies a useful middle ground between 5.56 and .308. I am getting rid of my Vz58 soon, so that I can just keep one type of commie magazine around. Even though the Vz58 is arguably a better firearm than most AKs . . . Sigh . . . Just not the aftermarket support that I would like to see.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.

As I understand it, 7N6 will not be allowed to come in again unless the ATF changes their mind on it. Commercial 5.45 yes, but no more 7N6 can come be imported. Been that way for about a decade.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What caused me to get rid of my 5.45 guns was the lack of bullet selection. I am not sure what the market is like overseas, but it would take a lot to convince me that 5.45 can anything that 5.56 can’t. Besides turn a $1000 AK into a $2400 AK, which was pretty awesome for me.

Now that 5.45 ammo prices are starting to come up, I should be able to sell all my mags and ammo pretty easily. I thought about hanging onto the 5.45 ammo and building an AR upper to use for training, but just don’t want to deal with it. Trying to simplify my firearm collection, not make it more complicated.

ETA: Now that I’m out of Maryland, the fact that I can own AK pattern rifles in 7.62x39 helped a lot with my decision. Between 5.45 and 7.62, the older, slower 7.62x39 is well supported by American ammunition manufacturers and occupies a useful middle ground between 5.56 and .308. I am getting rid of my Vz58 soon, so that I can just keep one type of commie magazine around. Even though the Vz58 is arguably a better firearm than most AKs . . . Sigh . . . Just not the aftermarket support that I would like to see.

IMHO another knock against 5.45 is you really can't deer hunt with it. Okay, yeah, you can hunt with ANYTHING if you put your mind to it. But would it even be legally in ANY state? Most of the states that allow 22 caliber rifles for deer hunting, also have minimum energy requirements, which 5.45 isn't going to manage in any commercial loadings and I doubt you could goose it by handloading to sufficient power.

The only loading I am aware that might even be remotely ethical would be Hornady black, which loads a 60gr ELD-M. Even then, that's real light, small diameter and not super fast for a deer (and "not wanting to get shot with it" and truly ethical are different stories).

Where as a 7.62x39 is just fine for deer.

I can't hunt deer in MD with my M1 carbine either, so yeah that isn't a requirement to own a gun. Just saying it IS a knock against it. Ammo is generally more expensive. Limited loadings. Much more limited power close range, can't really use it to hunt deer. 5.56 does everything 5.45 does and more or less better in almost every scenario.

I'd still like a rifle in it, but so many others I'd rather have (like an AK in 7.62x39).

I am very curious about PSA's 6.5 Grendel AK. I am already balls deep in to 6.5 grendel. Would (well, should) be perfectly MD legal. So long as it is accurate (or accurate enough), it should be great for deer hunting. Cheap steel cased ammo available. Unless PSA screws it up, no worries about "is the bore and ammo diameter properly matched", unlike some 7.62x39 manufacturers who use .308 bullets rather than true .311 diameter.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The way I look at it, my stock of 7N6 is a "war reserve". At least one case of it is...I'll expend the contents of a can on training (if I don't sell it). But in general, the commercial ammo is practice ammo, MILSURP is fighting ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom