• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    1st build

So I want to build my 1st ar and I want to be legal in md. I know my timing is really bad but here I am. My understanding of md laws is that for a ar15 rifle chambered in 5.56/.223 it needs to be 29 inches long overall and has to have a heavy barrel greater than 16". So am I correct in assuming that if not chambered in 5.56.223 say .300 blackout or 6.5 grendel it does not have to be heavy barrel? I don't seem to be able to find any hbar 5.56 assembled uppers so I'm thinking of going to something else for starters. Thanks for any guidance

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I want to build my 1st ar and I want to be legal in md. I know my timing is really bad but here I am. My understanding of md laws is that for a ar15 rifle chambered in 5.56/.223 it needs to be 29 inches long overall and has to have a heavy barrel greater than 16". So am I correct in assuming that if not chambered in 5.56.223 say .300 blackout or 6.5 grendel it does not have to be heavy barrel? I don't seem to be able to find any hbar 5.56 assembled uppers so I'm thinking of going to something else for starters. Thanks for any guidance
    The "29 inch over all length is a minimum length requirement in Md for short barrel rifles(rifles with barrels shorter than 16") and has nothing to do with standard AR 15s.
    The rest of your question is true.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The "29 inch over all length is a minimum length requirement in Md for short barrel rifles(rifles with barrels shorter than 16") and has nothing to do with standard AR 15s.

Technically it does. *ALL* rifles must meet 29" not just SBRs. Bullpups like the Tavor and PS90 get caught in this rule. So, technically ARs have to he over 29" too. Now, it might be impossible to get below that w/ any normal AR that has a 16"+ barrel but it technically still has to meet that requirement. ARs are not exempt from the 29" rule.

Just trying to be clear for Cyclops.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Technically it does. *ALL* rifles must meet 29" not just SBRs. Bullpups like the Tavor and PS90 get caught in this rule. So, technically ARs have to he over 29" too. Now, it might be impossible to get below that w/ any normal AR that has a 16"+ barrel but it technically still has to meet that requirement. ARs are not exempt from the 29" rule.

This is correct.

In summary, to be considered a long gun / rifle at the federal level, it must have a 16 inch barrel AND must be at least 29 inches in length overall (stock extended). You will have no issue with any AR with a 16 inch barrel.

But since we are in MD, the heavy barrel requirement adds a layer.

Ballistic Advantage, Stag Arms, Criterion, and Rosco all make good HBAR barrels. Delton does too but isn't in the same league as the above. Criterion reigns supreme of the ones mentioned, but at nearly double the price.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    In summary, to be considered a long gun / rifle at the federal level, it must have a 16 inch barrel AND must be at least 29 inches in length overall (stock extended).

The federal rifle OAL limit is 26". It does not apply to SBRs.

The MD limit bumps that to 29" and applies to all rifles (incl SBRs.)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

That's right. I forgot about the stupid Travor thingy.

Rim fires are exempt from (some of) these regs.

I stand corrected.

outlaw

Apr 29, 2012
    Ocean Pines
    milling machine and jig on the eastern shore?

is there anyone with a jig and milling machine willing to guide me with my ar 15 project?

outlaw

Apr 29, 2012
    Ocean Pines
    thanks for responding, i have no jig or milling machine so i would need the use of one, i will buy appropriate bits but would like to have the use of the jig and milling machine and a point in the right direction.

outlaw

Apr 29, 2012
    Ocean Pines
    thanks, it looks like the law says i need to buy my own jig and cannot borrow one? i think i will go that route and with the help of utube, i appreciate your time, bob

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Want to finish off a lower build and looking for decent 20 ”barrel, free float hand guard combo to finish it off.
    Open to suggestions from here rather then make uninformed choice on my own.
    Want a target shooter from this one rather then home protection battle rifle build.
    This is my first build from ground up so be gentle
    Thanks

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    RRA or Krieger?

"Want a target shooter"

Just suggestions, both fairly $$$ intensive.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=158

On the expensive side, but my RRA Varmint .223Wylde's are both shooters, and the only other RRA Varmint I've seen at a range was also a shooter. Another alternative, a Krieger pre-chambered SS Varmint weight barrel in a free-floated upper/handguard etc. of your choice.

Or a good custom barrel (i.e. Krieger) with a 6ARC chambering . . .

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Hey guys had a question for you. I'm looking into getting/building my first AR. I'm still getting the laws down on what's legal and what's not. I wanted to just make sure I have it right.
    So AR-15'S chambered in 223/556 and operate on a DI system must have a hbar barrel (does this mean "heavy barrel"), otherwise it's banned in Maryland. If it is piston operated it doesn't need to have the hbar barrel.
    If it's chambered in any other caliber it's legal as long as it isn't DI operated.
    Am I correct on this? Just trying to make sure I have it correct before I go buying anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom