VCDL working on getting VA-PA reciprocity back.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Cross posted from the PA forum

VCDL is working on legislation to have VSP use a NICS check for VA resident permits that hopefully would make PA start recognizing VA resident permits again

PA's reason for dropping VA was that VSP uses a VA database instead of NICS for background checks. They do use NICS for non resident permits. PA no longer recognizes any NR permits however.

This is from yesterday's VCDL update:

Quote:
    3. Pennsylvania dropping reciprocity with Virginia

VCDL has consulted the Virginia State Police on technical questions in an effort to find a solution to restoring reciprocal rights between Virginia and Pennsylvania.

I will be talking to legislators about putting in a bill in the 2019 General Assembly session that that will add a NICS check requirement for CHPs.

Hopefully that will fix reciprocity concerns with Pennsylvania. If successfully passed into law and Pennsylvania is satisfied with the final law, we will likely have reciprocity restored around July of 2019.

This would only allow VA residents to have reciprocity with PA. Doesn't change no reciprocity for VA NR permits.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Cross posted from the PA forum

This would only allow VA residents to have reciprocity with PA. Doesn't change no reciprocity for VA NR permits.

Did anything really change (either VA or PA law) from before and after PA made the decision to drop VA?
    I didn't think PA even uses NICS, I thought they had their own system (PICS?) just like VA does for their resident permits.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not that I am aware of. The Bloomberg tool PA AG just decided to use an existing difference in the two systems to drop reciprocity.

WI only recognizes VA NR permits because NR permits get a NICS check and resident permits do not.

If VA fixes this WI would start recognizing VA resident permits I’d guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom