• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    I am looking for guidance on storage law.

Am I able to store some of my collection at a family members house, inside of a safe? I am not sure if that is within the law or if everything I own, needs to be at my residence.

Any legal eagles know anything about this?

This is extremely timely for me, as I am putting my house (back) on the market and considering how best to reduce the volume of my belongings overall. I have two easy-to-move safes (one key-operated, the other biometric) and my friend has offered to let me store them (and their contents) on his property. At this time, I do not intend to store magazines there (and probably no ammo either).

If I'm distilling this discussion accurately, this should be OK so long as:
    • I have no reason to believe anyone residing in the house is prohibited
    • I include only "transferable" firearms (i.e., handguns and long guns currently available for sale in MD are fine, but my M1A is not)
    • I don't include any NFA items because no one at that residence is part of the governing trust.

I am definitely interested in informed (and even some WAG) opinions and recommendations here. Or do you think this is BGOS BS, and that a couple of standing safes in closets would be NBD if you're trying to sell your house? (I live in western Baltimore County if that helps.)

Last edited:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I would think that a designated collector letter would be useful in forming an affirmative defense to a charge of illegal transport if one were traveling to a friend's house for an informal display.

What if you're on travel and need to sleep at a hotel or friends house? You're saying that in Maryland you can't? What if you're heading out of state, Wouldn't FOPA cover you regardless of where you were going? That would be hard to prove though.

Bottom line, this is why you never let enemies of the constitution search your car under any circumstances.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I’d be wary of trying to raise a FOPA defense while still in MD as a MD resident.

You could prove you were headed out of state but MD position might be you are a MD resident still in MD so MD statutes still apply.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I’d be wary of trying to raise a FOPA defense while still in MD as a MD resident.

You could prove you were headed out of state but MD position might be you are a MD resident still in MD so MD statutes still apply.

So what if you're heading to a shooting class in Georgia overnight?

That still raises questions about the legality of taking it to a hotel or something. Shouldn't hotel be considered a part or your residence?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I mean for for all they know you could be heading to the National forest to do night shooting. That's a bonfire activity, and if you're me it's probably not a lie either.

I'm just saying, where do you draw the line?

It just goes to show you should never consent to a search or open your mouth.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I mean for for all they know you could be heading to the National forest to do night shooting. That's a bonfire activity, and if you're me it's probably not a lie either.

I think heading into a state forest at night to light a big fire and start shooting may introduce some other legal wrinkles.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I think heading into a state forest at night to light a big fire and start shooting may introduce some other legal wrinkles.

National Forest. Except in some restricted areas it's legal.

And I'm just saying...the whole law is bogus.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

FOPA applies to the states in between where you are traveling, if you start or finish your trip in Maryland, Maryland law applies.

If you happen to stop in Maryland for the night at a hotel, FOPA still applies.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So what if you're heading to a shooting class in Georgia overnight?

That still raises questions about the legality of taking it to a hotel or something. Shouldn't hotel be considered a part or your residence?

In GA, the hotel becomes your residence and GA rules apply.

My question to you is, why are the police questioning you about the handguns you are transporting to GA?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you started your trip outside MD and you stop in MD I disagree. Your trip has stopped, MD is now your destination and MD statutes apply

IANAL

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If you started your trip outside MD and you stop in MD I disagree. Your trip has stopped, MD is now your destination and MD statutes apply

IANAL

Are you referring to a trip from state A to state B with an overnight at a hotel in Maryland? If so, ATF has provided guidance that FOPA still applies.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Why would BATFE be issuing legal opinions on a Federal transport statute?

The problem still remains MD may feel once you have stopped, you are no longer traveling through MD, but-that MD is now your destination

See Revell vs Port Authority of NY and NJ.

The court ruled if you stay overnight and possess the firearm the state law applies. No FOPA protection

IANAL

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why would BATFE be issuing legal opinions on a Federal transport statute?

The problem still remains MD may feel once you have stopped, you are no longer traveling through MD, but-that MD is now your destination

See Revell vs Port Authority of NY and NJ.

The court ruled if you stay overnight with your Firearm the state law applies. No FOPA protection

IANAL

So to drive from Maine to CA, you need to do so non-stop?

I don't think that was the intent.

NJ/NY may THINK that is the case, but so far it has not gone to Federal court.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I assume if you leave your firearm locked in your vehicle per FOPA you might be ok. That is not what happened in Revell so taking your firearm into your hotel might remove FOPA protections. In the Revell case the court ruled NY law applied not FOPA

YMMV

The court on Revell ruled he had no FOPA protection because he took possession of it and went into his hotel.

NY and NJ prohibit this. Probably fine in other states

I suppose he could take it into a hotel in MD but who knows what MD will do?

Not saying what is legal because IANAL

Last edited:

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    Why would you want to store them anywhere other than where you live? Mine are all stored in my home.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Some of us don’t have a choice. My high rise does not permit firearms or ammo. As a result...I vault at my local range (they offer that as a service).

Another circumstance where it might make sense is if someone in the house is a prohibited person. This lets the person who wishes to exercise their 2A rights do so without putting the other person at legal jeopardy.

I am sure there are other circumstances (kids in home, spouse does not like having firearms in home, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

304tothecore

Sep 10, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    I didnt think about prohibited persons. As far as living in an apartment that doesnt allow it: I did too, but they couldnt come in and look through my personal belongings and they have to notify you 24 hours in advance before coming in.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    What if you're on travel and need to sleep at a hotel or friends house? You're saying that in Maryland you can't? What if you're heading out of state, Wouldn't FOPA cover you regardless of where you were going? That would be hard to prove though.

Bottom line, this is why you never let enemies of the constitution search your car under any circumstances.

FOPA only covers you when you start a trip in state A, are transiting through state B on your way to state C. State A and C are your source and destination states and you need to comply with their laws. So, for instance if you're doing a cross country trip, never schedule an overnight in states like NJ or NY. One you stop for the night the hotel room is considered your residence and you need to comply with the local laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom