• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I've a request of the 9.3x57 shooters onboard. What components did you choose for you favorite load?
    I don't want data, I have tons of it and don't want to start a whether or not it's a good idea to post data debate. Just your components.

My two favorites are:
    232 Norma Vulcan, H4895, Norma cases, CCI or Wolf primers. This in my M46 that was D&T'd and bolt bent in Sweden before it made it's way to Simpsons. It has gone hunting.

285 PRVI Partizan, H4895, Federal 8x57 necked up, CCI or Wolf primer.
    This is loaded so that with the factory iron sights POA = POI at 100 yards in my unbuggered, original M46. The chamber is a tad long, so I use necked up brass fire formed for this one and keep the loads separate. This original M46 goes to the range once in a blue moon.

270 Speer and 250 Nosler AB shoot accurately, but I have settled on the 232 Norma for deer and the PRVI bullets are cheap and look like business.

Anyone getting good results with Alliant or spending for the Norma and Vit powders?

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    270 Speer and Win 748. CCI Primers. Norma Cases

Im approaching the Max load according to which data you're looking at and still have smokey case mouths. These husky chambers are big and loose. With no pressure signs at all, I might work the load up a bit more to try to get a little better seal and performance. But this load is shooting accurately and hard so why mess with a good thing.

Chrono'd at 2029 from my 19 inch barreled and scoped Husky. Very accurate (0.7 in a@ 100 3 shot group) for this rifle and hits like a Mack Truck on deer. Took one at 70 yards this year and actually the hooves flying in the scope. Ive seen older negative reviews of the 270 Speer, but I have not had those results. Accurate and mushroomed nicely with large exit hole. Good bullet.

Im in the process of working up a H4895 load with the 270 also.

I tried one box of factory 232 Norma rounds, but my rifle wouldn't shoot them accurately at all.

Hope this helps

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Thanks.
    They all seem to be so different. Mine don't like 748, 335, or 3031. They do better with the 4895s and Reloader 15.
    The 270 Speer is a good bullet in the 9.3x57 even if too fragile for the 9.3x62 velocities. Likewise, the PRVI will open up on a deer.
    I stole all the data I could find online and Big Bore Rifles. A website in Italy and Load Data website had the most data for the powders most commonly available in the US.
    Gunboards has a thread on it, but they spend pages and pages swaging 375 bullets, hollowpointing Speers. Once you gleen the useful stuff out, it all comes down to the same loads with 748, Reloader 15, and H4895.

Last edited:

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    There was some good loads worked up in Handloader Magazine a few years ago. Pm me if you want the screenshots of them.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    There was some good loads worked up in Handloader Magazine a few years ago. Pm me if you want the screenshots of them.

i have them, thanks. I got my first 9.3x57 from SARCO back in 2005 and have shot them every year since.
    I can say the PRVI does a bang up job on black bears. You hear it "thump" them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom