• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gtrnn

Apr 9, 2020
    For 2011 pistol, is the speed holster with magnet a good choice in 3 gun match or in tactical division? 1) is it secured enough to run around with a pistol? 2) is it legal in tactical division? I'm assuming it is since I didn't see the rules say otherwise.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    while the double alpha race master magnetic holster does have great retention when locked, most including myself don't trust them enough to use them in 2 & 3 gun. at the least, there is little protection from mud, gunk, etc getting in the barrel or action when going prone or kneeling etc.

i use a blade tech wrs, that has the hood. that baby ain't coming out no way no how unless i want it to. there are some newer models that have a little easier activation but this works just fine for me.

then i do use the race master magnetic in uspsa and steel and related matches.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don't shoot a 2011 for competition but I use a Safariland GLS holster and love it. They have models that will fit 2011 pistols

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've seen people using minimalist holsters like that in 3-gun, but it's not optimal. With the amount and kind of movement involved, get something with better protection and retention for a holster. Dropping your pistol will get you DQ'd fast.

Gtrnn

Apr 9, 2020
    Thank you all very much. I'll look for Kydex holster. Is there any other bracket system that has a clip on feature like Safariland that works for other Velcro belts like Double Alpha or Black Scorpion?

Gtrnn

Apr 9, 2020
    I wonder if any Kydex holster has a cutout for a Gas pedal thumb rest. Is it something that needs to be custom made?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    GLS is a pretty good option IF you're not using a sling for your rifle. If you're using a sling, you might want something with a thumb release.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    This is exactly what I used before I sold my 2011. It is a great holster and that gun aint ever coming out if you don't want it to.

Someone like red Hill tactical can probably do what you're looking for.

Sorry, quoted the wrong person.

Gtrnn

Apr 9, 2020
    GLS is a pretty good option IF you're not using a sling for your rifle. If you're using a sling, you might want something with a thumb release.

Great advice. Thank you. Do many matches around DMV area or in drivable distance require sling for the rifle? I remember seeing a range somewhere here listed the sling as highly recommended but I don't see many matches on YouTube that used slings.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I shoot 3Gun at York IWLA, they require a sling for Rifle and Shotgun Stage by Stage/Match by Match. Not every Match and Not every stage. If you shoot there, bring both.
    I have only shot 1 match at AGC and no sling was required that day.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Great advice. Thank you. Do many matches around DMV area or in drivable distance require sling for the rifle? I remember seeing a range somewhere here listed the sling as highly recommended but I don't see many matches on YouTube that used slings.
    They're a bit uncommon around here, from what I've seen. Some people obviously like them because you can use them to steady yourself a little better for longer unsupported shots.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    I don't shoot 3 gun, but if you have to run around with the holstered pistol I would not use a race holster. In fact even in USPSA when shooting Limited I ran a kydex holster because I found the race holster wasn't really worth the trouble. My draw times are basically the same with both.

The other day I was practicing with a IDPA legal holster. (no drop offset) I'm shooting CO and using the exact same rig for USPSA and IDPA. I decided just to see how fast I could draw the gun and get a shot off on a 3 yard target. Getting in the .65's wasn't that hard. Not scooping, not hunching my arm up to get my hand close to the gun or any of that stuff.

The holster really isn't a big deal.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    The issue isn't "should I use a race holster", it's "should I use a holster with active retention". Race holsters are not terribly useful in multi-gun.

Active retention like the lock they all have? My first recommendation would still be kydex for the reasons listed in my post above.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use a Nerd Coffin for my 3-gun STI. It does its job of protecting the pistol and the draw is easy. I used it for a year, shooting 3-gun, USPSA, and Steel Challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom