• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I've been having some unsatisfactory issues at MSAR (Maryland Small Arms Range). I am hoping that someone who works here or knows the owner can do something. I've been going there for years, and lately, they don't seem to rent all the lanes or close a whole section of the range when people are waiting. I hope I can get some satisfactory resolution. Due the the drive I'm going to forgo there facilities for awhile. I've wasted too much time

This is what I sent.

Today, 12/31/19, I came to the range in the afternoon to shoot. Only one of the two pistol ranges was open and the other was about half full. I proceeded to the counter for service and was informed there was a waiting list and that I probably wouldn't get in today. (It is a two hour round trip for me.) I told the counter guy that the open range had either 4 or 5 open lanes. I then discussed this with the manager on duty.

This has happened to me the last 4 trips, where they state no lane is available and I have to wait. I can see multiple open lanes. Waiting isn't that much of a concern, but not knowing in advance whether or not I'll be able to shoot at all is a concern.

I'm not sure I understand his business model, so it's hard to make recommendations if lanes are open and I cannot get in. If it was busy, I'd understand.

Maybe you could offer some kind of reservation system with a cancellation fee such that you don't lose any money with a no show. You clearly have the lanes.

I live in Prince Frederick and have bought many firearms at your business. I've been shooting there since the old location, probably since 1990.

At this point, I'll probably go elsewhere where if I wait, it will because there are no lanes, not because they wont rent the open lanes. It's just kind of insulting to drive two hours and see open lanes and know shooting is not an option.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Yes! Glad I'm not crazy. Waited an hour for long gun and they had all 5 bays wide open when we got in....no clue why this is their model.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    About the same. I'm going to start there. 50 to 60 minutes one way if not in rush hour.

Fred’s in Waldorf also has a range. I have never used it but I know they have one. This may also be another option.
    I have never had a good experience at MSAR. It is usually due to unsafe actions by other shooters. The gun shop is a joke as far as I am concerned. I get not ever shop is going to have great prices but, paying 20% above MSRP for commonly available guns is not going to happen on my part.

Edit: i have not been there yet but, I have heard good things about flat broke shooters range. I believe the owners are members of this forum.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Consider joining the 12th Precinct Pistol and Archery club in southern A.A. County. Roughly the same drive.
    Meetings first Monday of the month 7:30 pm
    $50 Initiation, $120 per year. Unlimited use. Online calendar for range blackouts. At times I'm the only one on the range, but I work shift work.
    CMP and AGC affiliate.
    I can take you for a tour if you like.

http://www.twelfthprecinct.org/

Cobol2Java

Feb 10, 2020
    Lothian
    I've gone to MSAR and there were times when I was the only one in the pistol range; then a little later one other person joined me.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    My last trip to MSAR: 2001? 2002? Sometime around there.
    I do want to get back to the PG County skeet and sporting clays place. Great place from what I can remember, but haven't been there since ~1997 or so. Time flies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom