• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    AAA card and cell phone.

I’d add some warm clothes/blanket/food just in case it’s cold and you’re waiting awhile. Cell charger would be a good idea as well.

One thing I forgot to add in the OP is that I carry a few hundred bucks cash hidden in my truck in case I need to buy gas/tow services/tire repair/etc.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Fire extinguisher (mounted under driver’s seat)
    First aid kit
    Adventure Medical trauma kit (QuikClot)
    Tick removal tool
    Emergency thermal blankets
    5-6 bottles of water
    Ponchos
    Bear Grylls basic survival kit (it was a gift - https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/equipment/all-equipment/bear-grylls-basic-kit-31-000700)
    Bear Grylls fixed blade survival knife
    Bic lighter
    Paper maps (in case GPS is down)
    Jumper cables
    Battery jump pack (Li-Ion from harbor freight)
    12V air compressor
    Basic tools in toolbox (wrenches, screw drivers, SAE and metric sockets)
    Military shovel (also has a hatchet head and a saw blade)
    Tow strap
    CB radio
    HF/VHF/UHF ham radio
    Spare fuses
    Spare tire (check pressure two times each year)
    Mace (2% CS)
    Tire thumper
    Work gloves
    Flashlights

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’d add some warm clothes/blanket/food just in case it’s cold and you’re waiting awhile. Cell charger would be a good idea as well.

One thing I forgot to add in the OP is that I carry a few hundred bucks cash hidden in my truck in case I need to buy gas/tow services/tire repair/etc.

I normally dress for the weather.

If I am carrying my day bag, I have a cell phone charger and some spare cash.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    A dog leash. Strays can be tough to corral or lead anywhere.

The dog leash idea caught my eye. I guess it makes sense if you come across a stray pet. I wouldn’t have thought of that before. I could probably rig up a temporary leash with a thin cargo strap if needed.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not so much for local travel, but if you're going cross country, etc... Carry a major spare part native to your vehicle. Like if you are in BFE and the local mom and pop garage says "Well, if you had the part we could fix it." Really the only 2 things that come to mind is a water pump and serpentine belt. I used to do this with certain motorcycle parts when I did my cross country and back road jaunts.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Not so much for local travel, but if you're going cross country, etc... Carry a major spare part native to your vehicle. Like if you are in BFE and the local mom and pop garage says "Well, if you had the part we could fix it." Really the only 2 things that come to mind is a water pump and serpentine belt. I used to do this with certain motorcycle parts when I did my cross country and back road jaunts.

I still carry a spare rotor under the seat of my R90. Saved my ass in Indianapolis

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

I’ve heard of people carrying spare fuel pumps.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yea I got stranded in a snow storm about 6yrs ago and had to walk a few miles without winter clothing and regular loafers. I got home frozen and soaked. Since then I keep a change of cloths along with a hoodie and a pair of boots tucked under the rear seats. When I got my Explorer in 16 I realized it had a ton of space under the middle seats and rear cargo area. I’ve since added just about everything on your list along with the following.

First aid and trauma kit
    Fire Extinguisher
    Jump Start Battery Charger
    A gallon of drinking water plus a life straw and some purifying tablets
    Various knives and hand tools
    Some freeze dried food enough for 2 ppl for one day.
    Some emergency mylar blankets
    HT radio plus a cheap hand crank solar powered AM/FM weather radio.
    Flashlights
    Pepper Spray
    Some Emergency cash

Here is what it looks like with the seats up and my weatherbeater cargo cover removed.
    de544a2e09999b7bee9a76e123054a73.jpg

Here is with the seats in their normal position.
    37336d297295776c4c4a80db86062e7c.jpg

For work I carry a bunch of stuff that is normally in my car and would double for an emergency. I’ve got a Dewalt Li powered angle grinder, sawsall, impact driver, led light. Also carry additional bottled water, PPE gear and an AED.

LoL. I think I just got the same battery jump kit you have. Been using it a few times now. My wife’s, vans battery seems to be at the end of its life. If I don’t run it for about half an hour every 5 days it won’t crank over. Enough voltage it’ll try, but dies trying to crank after turning over about 2-3 times.

Since right now we aren’t driving anywhere...haven’t always remembered to fire it up and run it. The battery jump pack works great though when I’ve needed to fire it up.

I’ll replace it when I can, but not making a trip out just to replace it and sure as heck don’t want to pay shipping on a 60lb battery

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Really, with modern cars, what issues have you had, that you can actually fix roadside?

In the 70s and early 80s, I used to carry tools and some spare parts (points, rotor, plugs). But these days, no longer. Most times, things that go wrong, you can't fix. Unless you plan on carrying a computer and cable. :D

A lot of cars these days do not have spare. Just a pump and goop.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Really, with modern cars, what issues have you had, that you can actually fix roadside?

In the 70s and early 80s, I used to carry tools and some spare parts (points, rotor, plugs). But these days, no longer. Most times, things that go wrong, you can't fix. Unless you plan on carrying a computer and cable. :D

Well it seems that this thread doesn't apply to you, then does it?

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    In the cab
    Case of water
    Fire extinguisher
    Vinyl gloves
    Inverter
    Blanket
    Glass/seatbelt cutter
    Flashlights

Toolbox
    Get home bag
    Bottle jack and a 4x4 block of wood.
    Socket set
    Straps
    M12 air compressor
    Small tool box of various tools.
    Roadside triangles
    Tarp if i have to get under the truck
    Hitches
    Jumper cables

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Flat tires and dead batteries are two big ones.

Note that most of the preps aren’t specifically repair related, they are being stranded related. Warm clothes, food, water, cell charger, shovel, recovery strap, etc.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

I'll add a serpentine belt and appropriate tools to change also.

Nice to haves- are recovery straps (even if your vehicle isn't required) helping someone else on the way is a nice gesture.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here is what it looks like with the seats up and my weatherbeater cargo cover removed.
    de544a2e09999b7bee9a76e123054a73.jpg

If I can make a couple recommendations.

Take that Tundra bottle extinguisher and put it in panel in the driver's door. I keep a small towel wrapped around mine to keep it from rattling.
    You'll never get to it buried under those rear seats. And put one in the passenger door also. In case you're unable and if you have a passenger, they have quick access to one.
    Also,

Take that slime brand air pump and throw it in the trash. Look into getting a Viair pump.

What I noticed about those cheap ass pumps, is to get any performance out of those, you need to jack that tire up to take pressure off so it can pump well.
    Viairs don't give a fck.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The best tire pumps don't go off the cigarette lighter. You hook directly to the battery terminal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Note that most of the preps aren’t specifically repair related, they are being stranded related. Warm clothes, food, water, cell charger, shovel, recovery strap, etc.

I was not questioning those items.

I am talking about basic tools for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom