• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Do not use a gas lock that stops to far from 6 Oclock and force it to time. I do not know why but it will make accuracy go south, I know this from experience

:thumbsup:
    I used to watch Ray Parkinson go through a bunch of different locks to find one that he was satisfied with when it indexed. It's good to have a bunch of extra parts to choose from!

Orlando

I had piles of NOS gas locks and I actually spent a lot of time on the range messing with locks that time differently. I actually noticed absolutely no difference in accuracy with a lock that timed correctly and one that didn't with the exception of a overly tight lock

Maybe if building a completely match blown rifle it may be a worthy mod but just the lock itself I don't see any benifit

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I had piles of NOS gas locks and I actually spent a lot of time on the range messing with locks that time differently. I actually noticed absolutely no difference in accuracy with a lock that timed correctly and one that didn't with the exception of a overly tight lock

Maybe if building a completely match blown rifle it may be a worthy mod but just the lock itself I don't see any benifit

Yeah, for the average run of the mill shooter, it does not make a noticeable difference because the skill of the shooter is not up to that level. Ray built the best for the best. In that instance, it does make a difference.

Orlando

I do not consider myself a average, run of the mill shooter
    In the past after I had did the gas lock testing I talked to a retired armorer that actually worked on NM builds. Basically this mod does nothing for accuracy by itself. If building a NM rifle it is a worthy mod as it keeps the stress off just the barrel threads and puts the lock against the bevel in front the gas port pads .
    All this does is keeps the threads form stressing/loosening from long term recoil.
    Standard Garands when originally arsenal build never had timed locks. One was picked off the pile and installed on the rifle
    I also have a tool to trim on the gas lock bevel to get a exact time. Again, IMO a waste of time and energy on a standard rifle no matter what the experience of the shooter

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good discussion, thanks guys!

Looking down the barrel towards the front sight my lock times at about 1 o’clock and I just back it off the slightly more than half turn to the correct position.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I do not consider myself a average, run of the mill shooter
    In the past after I had did the gas lock testing I talked to a retired armorer that actually worked on NM builds. Basically this mod does nothing for accuracy by itself. If building a NM rifle it is a worthy mod as it keeps the stress off just the barrel threads and puts the lock against the bevel in front the gas port pads .
    All this does is keeps the threads form stressing/loosening from long term recoil.
    Standard Garands when originally arsenal build never had timed locks. One was picked off the pile and installed on the rifle
    I also have a tool to trim on the gas lock bevel to get a exact time. Again, IMO a waste of time and energy on a standard rifle no matter what the experience of the shooter

You have way too much cool stuff!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom