• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    In my case, my SBR is 29.5" so I did mean > 29". The stupid part to me anyway was MSP signed my Form 4 Sept 12th, which shows a pre Oct 1 purchase and the gun was 29.5", yet they still wanted Engage to send them a dated receipt. It was a Form 4 so there was no 77r at the time of sale.

Finally approved July 16th

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have the tools needed to complete a lower build and can help you with it.

I will be taking you up on this later today if you or your smith have the time, after I pick up my lower from you.

See you later today.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In my case, my SBR is 29.5" so I did mean > 29". The stupid part to me anyway was MSP signed my Form 4 Sept 12th, which shows a pre Oct 1 purchase and the gun was 29.5", yet they still wanted Engage to send them a dated receipt. It was a Form 4 so there was no 77r at the time of sale.

Finally approved July 16th

OK, just checking.

Last I read, is pre-Oct 1 can be made into <29", post-Oct only >29".

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What tools would I need and how complex is it to install parts into the stripped lower

Putting a lower together is really simple. I watched a YouTube video on it and the most complicated thing is getting the trigger in, which was actually easy, and then driving in the little rod/dowel/pin (forget the proper name) for the bolt release. I bought a set of starter punches so I could get that pin started. Other than that, I don't think I used many special tools to put my lowers together. I have the armorer's wrench for the recoil spring/buffer tube and to install the barrel nut on the upper. Also bought the lower holder and upper holder for the bench vise, which makes working on these things a lot easier.

Honestly, the beauty of the AR is that it is really simple to work on once you have done it once or twice.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bench-vise-blocks/ar-15-m16-lower-receiver-vise-block-prod25011.aspx?ctl00$ucheaderSearch$btnSubmitSearch=Search

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bench-vise-blocks/ar-15-ar-style-308-upper-receiver-block-prod17094.aspx?ctl00$ucheaderSearch$btnSubmitSearch=Search

W_Donahue

Jul 26, 2014
    I want to know about the legality of buying an HBAR ftf from a PA resident. I have had a local gun shop owner tell me I can buy a HBAR ftf from a Maryland state resident, but I don't know if anything different applies to out of state purchases. I really just want to be sure because this HBAR was built on a seekins SP223 stripped lower which I really want SOLELY for a SBR build. I'd rather not have my door kicked in and my dog shot when I send in for the tax stamp.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I want to know about the legality of buying an HBAR ftf from a PA resident. I have had a local gun shop owner tell me I can buy a HBAR ftf from a Maryland state resident, but I don't know if anything different applies to out of state purchases. I really just want to be sure because this HBAR was built on a seekins SP223 stripped lower which I really want SOLELY for a SBR build. I'd rather not have my door kicked in and my dog shot when I send in for the tax stamp.

Out of state purchases MUST go through an FFL. No face to face sales across state lines.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Out of state purchases MUST go through an FFL. No face to face sales across state lines.

And although you're not spelling it out, it's my understanding that in this case it could be done through a PA FFL given that it's a long gun. Might need to check ahead with FFLs in the particular area of PA to see which ones would.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

NOT legal according to Federal Law.

ALL firearms purchases across state lines (buyer and seller reside in different states) MUST transfer through an FFL. And the buyer must be physically present at the FFL at the time of purchase. The seller does not.

So both of you could go to a PA or MD FFL and have the FFL transfer it. Or the PA resident could sent it to an FFL that will accept it (not all will accept shipped firearms from a non-FFL) and you go pick it up there.

Heck, the PA person could ship it to Texas if you wanted to go there in person to pick it up. :)

But no FTF across state lines.

From BATFE Top 10 FAQ:

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?

Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I have (or will shortly) a POST 10/1 lower that I want to SBR. It's not on the handgun roster, but this is irrelevant on a form 1, right? As long as I keep the OAL >29", am I GTG (in theory)? Also, am I correct that the HBAR requirement only applies to bbl's >16"? So my SBR can be any barrel profile? If I'm understanding everything correctly, the only difference in the form 1 world post 10/1 is OAL must be > 29".

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Hello: I'm new to the AR community. Can someone explain the "evil three "restrictions? Thanks.

You can only have one of these features on your rifle at one time:

Flash hider
    Folding Stock
    Grenade Launcher

On a standard AR 15 it will come with a flashhider. Just don't add a folding stock or grwnade launcher and you're fine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Instead of "Rifle" substitute " semiautomatic centerfire rifle" .

I know the Thread started out with AR-15's , but don't want someone in later years searching for info to get wrong impression. Rimfire not subject to evil features, nor 29inches. Neither manually operated or single shots.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Instead of "Rifle" substitute " semiautomatic centerfire rifle" .

I know the Thread started out with AR-15's , but don't want someone in later years searching for info to get wrong impression. Rimfire not subject to evil features, nor 29inches. Neither manually operated or single shots.

Just to clarify since it was a little confusing to me how you wrote it.

Manually operated (bolt, pump, lever action, breaks action, etc. so long as it is not semi-automatic) centerfire rifles are exempt from the evil feature test. As are rimfires of anytype (semi-automatic rimfires are not subject to evil feature test).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Just to clarify since it was a little confusing to me how you wrote it.

Manually operated (bolt, pump, lever action, breaks action, etc. so long as it is not semi-automatic) centerfire rifles are exempt from the evil feature test. As are rimfires of anytype (semi-automatic rimfires are not subject to evil feature test).

Let's just clear it all up, because there is a difference between fixed magazine versus detachable magazine:

§ 4-301(e) Copycat weapon. --
    (1) "Copycat weapon" means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;
    (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (v) a semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock; or
    (vi) a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Buy any of those in Maryland and you are in trouble if you get caught.

Edit to add: So, if you are looking at a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with a fixed mag that can only accept 10 rounds, then you can have a flash suppressor, folding stock, and grenade launcher on it. lol

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Let's just clear it all up, because there is a difference between fixed magazine versus detachable magazine:

§ 4-301(e) Copycat weapon. --
    (1) "Copycat weapon" means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;
    (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (v) a semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock; or
    (vi) a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Buy any of those in Maryland and you are in trouble if you get caught.

Edit to add: So, if you are looking at a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with a fixed mag that can only accept 10 rounds, then you can have a flash suppressor, folding stock, and grenade launcher on it. lol

Isn't that a hoot. Now where can I buy a fix mag. rifle with a grenade launcher. Do any even exist?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Yes, of course. Forgot about that. So has anyone figured out how they can legally possess the grenades that can be shot out of the SKS? In other words, the ban on launchers on guns with a detachable mag (ARs) is pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom