Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Scott's Backlog

After retiring a month or so ago, I began working for Scott's a couple days a week. I can tell you he is often backlogged 2-3 months (currently estimated at6 weeks - 2 months...but that will change as business picks up prior to hunting season). That said, he will often get to work on something much more quickly than that. For example, when he has to set up for one type of work...machining, barrel threading, pad grinding, etc...he will try to knock out a number of similar jobs all at once...so you might get your gun back much more quickly than that. For example, a year or so back he had several shotguns needing to be padded in his backlog. I spoke to him about padding a shotty for me just before he was going to do them. He told me to get it in there soon because in a couple weeks or so and he would get to it since he liked to knock out all shotgun pads jobs at once. I brought it in, he ordered the pad and I had my gun back in just about 2 weeks (it took about a week just for the ordered pad to arrive!).

One thing many guys don't realize or think about, is that every time someone needs to speak to him directly (either status of work being done or about work they are considering having done), he has to stop to answer questions or offer suggestions (and quite a few guys ADD work when they think he is about to start on their gun which can lead to delays if parts/accessories need to be ordered). We who work there try to run interference by checking on job status for him when he is in the middle of something still have to stop him periodically to ask as to when he has something on the schedule. Then, of course, there are those guys who bring their gun to him a few days before they 'need it' (and yes, we do understand some don't know their firearm has a problem until they get it out to go to a competition, on a hunt, etc - but it's not always possible to accommodate a short time frame). Even if a short time frame can be accommodated, as that means someone else's work will be delayed for the duration of that work. Multiply that by several guys wanting quick turnaround, and someone else may be delayed additional days or weeks.

Before working there, I knew Scott to be meticulous about his work quality, but being actually present to see him working on something, I have learned how meticulous he can actually be. He does not just work on the obvious problems do a short quick test and call it fixed. He loathes having a gun he just worked on brought back for more repair as he greatly values his reputation. I can also tell you, like any other work, a simple job can become much more involved once work starts and unknown or unexpected problems crop up. Scott worked on a 308 AR-type rifle recently and spent most of a day on 2 different days trying to figure the problem out. Every time he fixed one issue, another cropped up. He actually had to test fire several boxes of ammo...one supplied by the customer and others he pulled from the shelf. In the end, the total (parts and labor) charged was less than 1 day labor (8 hours normally) even though he probably had 12 or more hours into the gun and well over 100 in parts. Furthermore, that didn't include the time spent having employees running down parts (the rifle was proprietary) and ordering them. Another issue, we have had a few guys get upset because their guns have taken longer than the normal backlog. I am aware that there have been guns (especially older or perhaps discontinued guns) for which a considerable amount of time is spent searching for parts. In some of these cases, a part can't be found but he may be able to take time to make the part or perhaps modify a similar part to work with the firearm being repaired. He doesn't just randomly put people's work off. But estimates of the expected turnaround times are just that...estimates (although it's very rare he misses meeting an estimated turnaround time since he will prioritize a job that is approaching his stated estimate).

Scott not only works long days most days (at least an hour before the store opens to set up and maybe get a start on 'smithing some guns before customers begin arriving, then staying after pretty often to check out the register and take care of other business issues, etc), but when his backlog is growing, he will often go in on days when the store is closed to 'catch up'. I know at least a few times he went in specifically to knock out 'small jobs' since no one expects their 'small job' to tie their gun up for 6 weeks or more and he can work uninterrupted on those days. Then, usually once or twice a year, he will take a few days off...or rarely a week off... to have a vacation and the backlog will grow a bit.

I can't tell you how many customers call or even come in to ask Scotty questions. Sometimes, that's what it takes to determine what actually needs to be done. However, it does pull him off his gunsmith jobs and is not included in the hours of labor.

There haven't been that many 'do it all' (or at least those who do nearly all ) gunsmiths around ever....but with recent closing of some LGS and retirement of some gunsmiths there are fewer than ever and Scott is basically a one man operation at this time. He has said he would like to have add a smith, but he would want someone as meticulous as he is (like when he had Chad) and those people, especially those who are truly experienced, meticulous and
    trustworthy are few and far between.

The best advice I can give is if you have a gun that needs repaired, the time to bring it in is a few weeks or even a couple months or more before you need it. You may well get it much faster than you need it, but, barring unusual circumstance or unexpected problems, you will at least get it back by the time you need it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Scott, thanks for my 300 BLK upper build. :thumbsup: Examined it more carefully at home last night, and was really impressed at how well put together it is. Inspired me to quickly throw together a lower (sans trigger group - should be arriving in a day or two). Picture below. You'll note that it's a Scott's/Engage collaborative piece. ;)

SXS, don't know if it was you that I spoke with at the counter (the gentleman that I did talk with was new - and we discussed how the shop had been reorganized since a recent inventorying process). In my few interactions with Scott, I've found him very helpful. The turnaround on my upper was pretty reasonable. The shop needed to get a specific Midwest Industries rail and other parts that I requested, so I think the total time from when I stopped in to put in the build request (bringing a barrel and upper) to getting the phone call that it was done was a month and a half. I'm in Frederick, so it took a few more weeks until I stopped by. As you mentioned, Scott's clearly meticulous, so I'm very happy with the outcome.

Attachments

• 300 BLK Build.jpg
      300 BLK Build.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 735

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Scott, thanks for my 300 BLK upper build. :thumbsup: Examined it more carefully at home last night, and was really impressed at how well put together it is. Inspired me to quickly throw together a lower (sans trigger group - should be arriving in a day or two). Picture below. You'll note that it's a Scott's/Engage collaborative piece. ;)

SXS, don't know if it was you that I spoke with at the counter (the gentleman that I did talk with was new - and we discussed how the shop had been reorganized since a recent inventorying process). In my few interactions with Scott, I've found him very helpful. The turnaround on my upper was pretty reasonable. The shop needed to get a specific Midwest Industries rail and other parts that I requested, so I think the total time from when I stopped in to put in the build request (bringing a barrel and upper) to getting the phone call that it was done was a month and a half. I'm in Frederick, so it took a few more weeks until I stopped by. As you mentioned, Scott's clearly meticulous, so I'm very happy with the outcome.

Thanks for all your kind words. Scott's aim is to please his customers. And he is VERY meticulous.

The two new guys are myself and Tattoo...and Tattoo has previously worked for Scotty so I don't know you could call him 'new'. Turnaround time we generally quote is 6 weeks to 2 months. Although it fairly often takes that long to get to some jobs, that's generally the worst case scenario except in cases where parts are not easy to find.

Come see us again!
    Beau Wenger aka 'sxs'

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for all your kind words. Scott's aim is to please his customers. And he is VERY meticulous.

Come see us again!
    Beau Wenger aka 'sxs'

Had the afternoon off, so I took her out today. She ran like a champ. Too much fun. :thumbsup:

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    I stopped by Scott's today. Had a cross threaded screw that I could not get out. Scott was able to fix it on the spot. Great service.

baltech

Feb 23, 2013
    Great shop. Stopped in for first time to have a repair on my H&R 922. Good guys and good service. Quick turn around on a small repair.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Stopped by the shop on the 17th to pick up my k98 it's always been a customer friendly place. Had I not had my other half with me I may have come home with that SKS they had on the floor. Even Colt came out to say hello

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom