What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    afe5abeb716f70bf11b806aebaa3c5ec.jpg

Is that a homemade case trimmer there on the right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBON6F1LlQ

I know you were half joking when you posted this a while ago but I've been thinking about how I could use it as a case trimmer for 300B/O.

So today I built a prototype.

96b8622cec4af9d45013ccdde13df35a.jpg

58b93270881155ec72b16471ed1cba31.jpg

This prototype machined out if acrylic. The idea is to have a sliding cam lock plate that holds the cases snug against the cutout in the bottom plate and a "V" grove in the top plate. The full scale model would be able to cut 50 cases in one pass. I figure I could prep hundreds of cases in about 10min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfaroCbKfFk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Acetone is the miracle cure for removing unwanted Liquid ALOX from bullets and brass.

Leaves everything nice and dry too.

I have been using mineral spirits on a paper towel cause Alox sure seems like Cosmoline to me. I will try the Acetone next time to compare.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Sized and tumbled 350 cases of 5.56.

da11fc65894857b4e4caf01eecdf75a0.jpg

Also tried using frankfort arsenal brass cleaner and it worked great. Way better than dish soap and citric acid.

a81e8508050495d3a1e5f5ac1d0e728a.jpg

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Just finished cleaning up the powder that I spilled all over the bloody place! Tell me I'm not the only one to ever do this....lol

Chargemaster dispensed into pan. Poured pan into funnel on top of powder die. Forgot to raise case to die. I was standing over it, so I did not immediately notice my error until about half went in. I stopped at halfway to tap the case before pouring in the rest. Saw the mess that I created.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Just finished cleaning up the powder that I spilled all over the bloody place! Tell me I'm not the only one to ever do this....lol

Chargemaster dispensed into pan. Poured pan into funnel on top of powder die. Forgot to raise case to die. I was standing over it, so I did not immediately notice my error until about half went in. I stopped at halfway to tap the case before pouring in the rest. Saw the mess that I created.

Does charging a rifle case with fine powder before inserting the primer count?.....:o

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Does charging a rifle case with fine powder before inserting the primer count?.....:o

I usually prime first for that very reason, but that's just me...:lol2:

Loaded up 235 rounds of .223- Hornady 55gn BTFMJ with 22.6 gns H335 WSR primers @ 2.200" COAL.

Plinking ammo.:thumbsup:

Petar

Nov 18, 2010

The other day I was measuring powder and as I was getting ready to put the measured charge back into the dispenser hopper, I accidentally hit the handle on the dispenser with the pan and had 44.3gr of RL-7 fly everywhere. Nothing like creating work for myself :cool:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    More organization. Picked up some extra bins at WalMart on Sunday, so I can separate stuff out and keep things better organized on the shelf and also the bench.

Cleaned up the reloading area a bit, since Little DA pulled some 556 brass out and was putting it in random places, he also moved some things around. After that came the organization of everything. I'm going to be organizing more tonight after things quiet down.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The other day I was measuring powder and as I was getting ready to put the measured charge back into the dispenser hopper, I accidentally hit the handle on the dispenser with the pan and had 44.3gr of RL-7 fly everywhere. Nothing like creating work for myself :cool:

Personally, I prefer the joy of dumping a tray of primers. Off the chart fun to be had if you do it on concrete.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Another fun thing to do at the bench: Pour a pound of powder into the hopper of your Chargemaster 1500 forgetting you left the dump hole open. I have done this more than twice. :banghead:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Another fun thing to do at the bench: Pour a pound of powder into the hopper of your Chargemaster 1500 forgetting you left the dump hole open. I have done this more than twice. :banghead:

Apologies for being bit off topic, but that particular example of life's little pleasures works really well with oil pans too. Works best when using the gallon jug, rather than the smaller quarts. The joy of suddenly seeing the oil running down the driveway can only be described as pure delight. Think kinda like a kid at Christmas, finding his first BB rifle under the tree. The cleanup, after intently studying the physics of oil seeking its downhill path of least resistance, will leave you absolutely ecststic!

I now return to decapping 45acp.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Made a side trip to the Short Pump Cabelas after a weekend of soccer for the kid. Got some Varget and a box of Berger 175 VLD bullets and made up 50 various rounds of 308WIN with Lake City Match brass and CCI BR2 primers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom