12 gauge, 20 gauge, or .410 for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Best caliber for home defense shotgun - husband and wife.

• 12 gauge

Votes: 94 62.3%
    • 20 gauge

Votes: 46 30.5%
    • .410 gauge

Votes: 6 4.0%
    • Rifle or pistol are much better for home defense.

Votes: 13 8.6%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Here's the dilemma a friend of mine recently faced. Not long ago he moved from an extremely restrictive place; he wants a shotgun that both he and his wife can use for home defense in the worst case scenario. Just like they have a smoke detector and fire extinguisher in the unlikely event a fire ever happens.

He has modest experience with a few firearms. He is a military reservist and feels comfortable shooting nearly any home defense handgun, rifle or shotgun; however his wife has little to no experience.

His budget is a very good $500 up to $1000; for everything he might need (ammo, sling?, flashlight, laser?, any other accessories).

After getting info/advice from a few of us and looking at several shotguns in magazines; he decided he wanted an adjustable stock, pistol grip, and simple bead front sight.

There are many shotguns that meet this criteria, so his final decision came down to which caliber for both him and his wife. He's willing to take some training and he's a stout fella; his wife is average size and fitness, but much less likely to be willing to take any training or even practice.

Since her life depends on it; as does his and their two children (infant, and pre-preschool) - what caliber do you recommend under these circumstances?

Other advice (semi-pump), (Remington/Mossy/etc.), appreciated. :)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    They should be able to handle any of the three in semi.

Agreed. But if they only ever own one shotgun, which caliber would you recommend - all other attributes considered?

References:
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22_4.htm
    http://forums.officer.com/t129364/
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-3670.html
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/twenty_vs_twelve.htm
    http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=163611

There are many videos on this subject:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    For what it's worth, my 13 year old daughter (five-eight, average build, 130lbs) can handle a 12ga pump with little or no effort and keep it on target with both buckshot and turkey loads.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Will his wife actually point a loaded gun at another human being and pull the trigger, knowing that she may kill them?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I feel it really gets down to will the person shoot it a second time. When I was 14 yo, I shot a 10 gauge shotgun; I would never shoot one again. When I was 16 yo, I was shooting 12 gauge shotgun with impunity, but now I have trouble with them. If I was going to have only 1 chance at a shotgun, the question would be 'I've shot it, now will I be comfortable shooting it again (frequently, for training)? Also, 'will I be comfortable shooting it a few years down the road?
    For those reasons, I went to 20 ga. for my primary HD shotgun, although I have 12, 20, and 16 ga. guns and looking for a .410

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Got to try my S&W Governor this week and 000 buck and PDX1 are devastating at close range. Between that and whichever 12 gauge i grab I'm good to go.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I prefer 20 for all around use myself and feel fine with it loaded right for HD.

.410 is too light in my mind and I'm just not much of a 12ga guy since I don't like the added weight of the gun in most cases and with what I hunt I don't need a 12 often.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Go with the 20 gauge. His wife should be able to handle it easily enough, ammunition is readily available, and recoil for 2 3/4" loads is light. The gun should be a little lighter as well.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If one aims to give one "lead poisoning" make it large and lethal. For a novice a "coach gun" might not be a bad idea, short barrels and about as simple as it gets.

Small, light guns recoil like a mule kicking you in the face.

My recommendation would be a 12 gauge just for the sheer lethality, and then a mercury recoil reducer on the mag cap if they are going with a collapsible stock. The mercury recoil reducer in my Benelli SBE and Beretta 391 Teknys butt stocks seriously tame the recoil compared to my o/u shotguns.

I would also suggest a semi-auto. I know I shoot a semi-auto and o/u way better than the Browning BPS that I hunted with for a decade. The difference on the skeet field was extremely noticeable. No need for he or his wife to have to add an additional step to the mix (i.e., pumping the shotgun).

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    20 Gauge.

Hands down.

Not even a contest, given the criteria.

PLENTY of lethality. Easier handling for EVERYONE involved. Better weight. Lower recoil.

Did I say PLENTY of lethality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom