• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I am looking in to getting a Taurus Raging Bull 500 or SW 500. I want to know if anyone has shot both of these firearms and could give me their impressions?

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    The S&W is better IMO. The muzzle break of the full-size SW500 is superior. I like the hand grips more, as well as the trigger and oversized cylinder release. I believe the finish to be more durable as well. Shooting something like Magtech loads through either isn't terrible. Shooting full-spec loads like ones by DT or others is still pretty unpleasant in both. The Raging Bull in .454 Casull is more enjoyable to shoot IMHO than the .500.

I believe the Raging Bull is no longer made in .500

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    The S&W is better IMO. The muzzle break of the full-size SW500 is superior. I like the hand grips more, as well as the trigger and oversized cylinder release. I believe the finish to be more durable as well. Shooting something like Magtech loads through either isn't terrible. Shooting full-spec loads like ones by DT or others is still pretty unpleasant in both. The Raging Bull in .454 Casull is more enjoyable to shoot IMHO than the .500.

I believe the Raging Bull is no longer made in .500

This is true. I would have to get it used if I went Taurus. Do you know if the Taurus 500 is like the other large Taurus revolvers and can shoot multiple Calibers? If so can the SW? I think I read somewhere the Taurus can and the SW can't

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Weirdly if you reload I would consider the 480 ruger in that gun. Its a great and highly underrated cartridge that can be loaded from mild and controllable to a wild bucking beast.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Two different answers , depending on the question. Do you want the best , or the good deal for reasonable price. For that matter in similar price range any number of custom 'smiths offer 5 shot custom Ruger SA in various cals.

CorBon offers .500 Special ammo , wich is like .38Spl for .357 Mags.

Different " .50 Cal " handgun ctgs actually come in two different dia . The *real* .50 , which is .510 bore , and the DE/ S&W size of .500 .

Lots of wildcat and proprietary .50 ctgs. Other than CorBon's not so much togive multi cal in one gun , as slightly shorter case/ COL to be able to fit into more normal sized platforms.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Although I am not afraid to spend money. A reasonable price would be best. I was looking at a DE too. But i am looking for the most powerful handgun. I was under the impression that would be the Taurus or the SW 500

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I think the main problem with all this is going to be finding them at a reasonable price.

It depends about what your definition of reasonable is. You're dealing with a revolver that's expensive to buy, expensive to shoot, not terrible to reload (460 uses 45cal bullets which are plentiful but brass is more then other smaller magnums) and then if you want to scope it getting something that will handle the recoil between the scope, rings and base will set you back a good bit.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    It depends about what your definition of reasonable is. You're dealing with a revolver that's expensive to buy, expensive to shoot, not terrible to reload (460 uses 45cal bullets which are plentiful but brass is more then other smaller magnums) and then if you want to scope it getting something that will handle the recoil between the scope, rings and base will set you back a good bit.

I don't reload, I don't exactly know how and I would be afraid to do it wrong. But the price of the gun is all I am taking in to account. Yes, I know ammo is expensive. But I view that was par for the course with any guns. at least the guns I have it is. I think I am leaning towards the Taurus Raging Bull 500. But I want to find someone around maryland that has one so I can do I private transfer. Then i might actually get to shoot it shortly there after.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    What about the BFR? I dont like porting on any pistols so I choose the BFR and have been nothing but happy. The price is usually better too.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    So you have made a decision strictly on PRICE alone . HUM... I would re think it.

Not price alone. I do like the look of the Taurus and I have shot the Taurus raging judge. I do like that one. But I want a 50 caliber. Really, I would consider any 50 caliber handguns. I mean does anyone have a 50 caliber revolver for sale? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom