• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What's everyone using for a range finder? I'm looking to buy one this winter for bow and rifle hunting, and am asking for recommendations?

Accuracy needs to be good enough. Needs to pick up deer at up to a few hundred yards but also work at 20 yards from the stand. Budget is fairly tight, but I'll shop the holiday sales. Thanks!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'll be following this thread as well.

Range finders, even from recognized names, seem to be hit and miss in the quality department.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I have a Bushnell sport 550 I've used the past 3 years. It's certainly not fancy but has proven to be accurate and consistent. For $150 I was very pleased.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've got one of the original Bushnells. It's old and not fancy, but still works like a charm. I don't use it much for gun hunting unless I'm hunting over a big field. Bow hunting, I keep it on a zip reel attached toy harness and use it all the time.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    For rifle: I use Leupold RXB-IV laser range finding binoculars good for 1500 yards

For Bow: I use Simmons LRF600 (Tilt Intelligence), it works well from 10-50 yards

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    I have a Bushnell sport 550 I've used the past 3 years. It's certainly not fancy but has proven to be accurate and consistent. For $150 I was very pleased.

I have the same one, still works great after 4 years.
    I caught a Black Friday sale at Cabelas and got it for around $119.00.
    Check out Dvor.com , I've seen good prices from them too.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I use the my golfing range finder. Works to 500 yards depending on the reflectivity of the target. Too bad the built in club selection can't be reprogrammed to predict bullet drop ;-)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use the my golfing range finder. Works to 500 yards depending on the reflectivity of the target. Too bad the built in club selection can't be reprogrammed to predict bullet drop ;-)

Gives whole new meaning to the phrase "what did ya shoot today?".

;)

Here's a little tip; If you end up with one that doesn't adjust for angles(talking bow hunting), when you laser a spot on a trail when pre-ranging your shooting lanes, find a nearby tree. Laser it at the base, then come up the tree and laser it level with you. That will tell you the actual distance.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have the Bushnell Sport 1000 ARC. Not sure if it actually does 1000 yds, but it does 500+ yds just fine (across a field I hunt in PA) even against a backdrop of trees. It also adjusts the range based on the angle up or down and works well at short distances for bow hunting. Been pretty happy with it. And, oh yeah....it makes a pretty decent 5x monocular for scoping out an area.

Cool little gadget came with it when I bought it. A personal GPS. You nail a location on it (like where your car is parked) and it will point you to the direction it is in as well as giving you a straight line distance. Helps keep me from gettin' lost in the 20,000 acre public land I've hunted the last couple of years. Even after returning home from my hunting/scouting trip on Saturday, it showed me the distance (106 miles straight line distance) and direction. Not perfect, but will get me back to within 50 or 60 yds or so.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Sig Kilo 2000 here. Works reliably out to 800, a little iffy after that. I did get a hit on something at 2,240 yards once just playing with it.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I went cheap for now. Amazon has the Simmons volt 600 on sale, with a 30 dollar rebate. Hopefully it'll work for archery, and range deer to at least 200 yards. I'll report back after some testing.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    What's everyone using for a range finder? I'm looking to buy one this winter for bow and rifle hunting, and am asking for recommendations?

Accuracy needs to be good enough. Needs to pick up deer at up to a few hundred yards but also work at 20 yards from the stand. Budget is fairly tight, but I'll shop the holiday sales. Thanks!
    I bought this for bow hunting, works good for straight shots. If you are in a climber you can use this, just be aware your distance will change due to angle and this range finder doesnt adjust for angle. It doesnt like picking up stuff at 400+yds...unless its reflective.

Bushnell_201916_Yardage_Pro_Sport_450_365925.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anyone have one of these?

Attachments

• FC996216-F98A-4632-8201-44AD2C576D1C.jpg
      FC996216-F98A-4632-8201-44AD2C576D1C.jpg
      108.5 KB · Views: 109

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads