• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    No, the regs say the bullets must be of expanding construction. FMJ is not. Toss up if match hollow point ammo would be legit.

Yeah, after reading the guide many times, I finally found it. Somehow I kept missing these couple of lines. It says:
    "Except in Dorchester County where #1 buckshot or larger may be used, firearms used for deer hunting may only shoot one all-lead, lead alloy, or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball. Sabots are permitted. Non-expanding full metal-jacketed, incendiary and tracer bullets are not permitted."
    So the argument has been settled.

I've got another question. Would the lead bullet tarnish the meat, since, as I understand, lead bullet would explode upon hitting a deer? How do people deal with that?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve decided generally where to setup, but now I am paralyzed with indecision. Standing and thinking it out a 6-pt walked by 75yds away. Took a shot and I think I missed! Only guess is it deflected off something. It was broadside, but not a completely clear shooting lane. I hopped a few and then stood around 15-20s and then took off slowly. Going to look for blood, but not hopeful :-(

Should I bother setting up near where I shot it? Early in the afternoon still and wondering if something else will use the same trail.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Appears to be a clean miss. Nothing where I am sure it was standing. Several things that could have caught the bullet and nudged it off course. Damnit. Probably should have waited even longer on the shot. Still debating if I go up the tree next to where I took the shot or setup elsewhere. I have to decide soon

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    In a tree near where I shot at the 6-pt. I just hope today has a happy ending. Feels like everything went right and that also everything went wrong.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Appears to be a clean miss. Nothing where I am sure it was standing. Several things that could have caught the bullet and nudged it off course. Damnit. Probably should have waited even longer on the shot. Still debating if I go up the tree next to where I took the shot or setup elsewhere. I have to decide soon

There'll be many more in your future grasshopper. Paying dues.:)

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ugh got home last night and had a sore throat.....looks like the weekend is shot for me (not that my ml is even ready to go).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There'll be many more in your future grasshopper. Paying dues.:)

Yeah, I feel like everyone has to have a really crappy day in the woods every once in awhile. It must be payback for getting that spike after 2hrs in a stand and 3hrs total afield opening archery weekend, early evening.

Still upset about the 6-pt. I have no clue how I could miss. It was a nice careful shot. Standing sure, but I was pretty sure I was dead center. Either I screwed up reloading and partly charged it from my stand loading (I poured at least a couple of grains over the side, but I didn’t think it was much), or didn’t have the round seated right or it hit a branch of vine on the way, or I just pulled or pushed the shot enough to be off target.

He was such a nice 6-pt. Maybe he’ll come back later this evening (if my wife doesn’t make me pack up and come home)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah, I feel like everyone has to have a really crappy day in the woods every once in awhile. It must be payback for getting that spike after 2hrs in a stand and 3hrs total afield opening archery weekend, early evening.

Still upset about the 6-pt. I have no clue how I could miss. It was a nice careful shot. Standing sure, but I was pretty sure I was dead center. Either I screwed up reloading and partly charged it from my stand loading (I poured at least a couple of grains over the side, but I didn’t think it was much), or didn’t have the round seated right or it hit a branch of vine on the way, or I just pulled or pushed the shot enough to be off target.

He was such a nice 6-pt. Maybe he’ll come back later this evening (if my wife doesn’t make me pack up and come home)
    Bigger rewards await.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nothin to see the rest of the day. Still lots of turkeys cutting. I swear I’ve never heard so many in the park and all over. Fingers crossed for the winter and spring turkey seasons!

I’ll be back out in the morning and Potapsco in the evening. My younger two’s much delayed birthday parties of course happen to be lunch time tomorrow. Oh well.

I believe I’ve gotten a kitchen pass to hunt all Saturday.

It also stupidly occurred to me I can hunt Potapsco during firearms and late ML seasons and take another buck since it counts against those seasons! Not sure why the heck that didn’t occur to me. Or, hey, a doe.

But early ML ain’t over yet. Back to Longcorner tomorrow near where I was this morning.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Was a quiet night for me...no real action. Heard one muzzleloader go off in the distance but other than that, there's been more activity at a nursing home.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    It got warm. Definitely a dearth of dead critter pics...

Better luck today!

This weather is crazy. I was in my stand last night in a T shirt looking at green leaves during early ML season. I think that was a first :tdown:

That said, I saw one last night and screwed up my shot at 25 yards :sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This weather is crazy. I was in my stand last night in a T shirt looking at green leaves during early ML season. I think that was a first :tdown:

That said, I saw one last night and screwed up my shot at 25 yards :sad20:

Lot of that going around...

:D

Better luck next time. :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My son is out right now bow hunting. I told him of everyone's observations but he wanted to go out this morning. I expect him to be in about 1pm covered in mosquito bites. Is ML season earlier this year than in years past? I thought it was towards the last weekend in October? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this was early.

I don't know how hunters are able to take much more than a 20 yard shot with the leaves and under brush being so green. The woods behind my house are still impenetrable. There is so much under brush, I can't imagine being out in that stuff.

I wish my son and all the other hunters luck today. Try and stay cool because I think it's supposed to get warm today.

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    Finally got my first deer yesterday around 1600. He came running by my left side about 60-70 yards away. I thought he was going to keep running further away then he turned and walked in front of me. I shot and thought I missed. I couldn't find any blood but walked out to the main trail and found him. This was my first time dragging a deer and I'm reconsidering going so far back in the woods. I think I need a cart or something.

Attachments

• 20171019_162902.jpg
      20171019_162902.jpg
      147.5 KB · Views: 168

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Congrats on first deer. Great job on follow up, never assume a miss until all sign is exhausted. I've killed a bunch that never left any sign at where they were standing.nice job

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom