• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 16, 2012
    Woodbine
    I'm an averaged-sized woman, 5'5" tall, athletic build. Right now I shoot trap and sporting clays occasionally with my husband's Mossburg 500 12 ga pump. Of course, not ideal for doubles, and not sized for me, but on the plus side, the recoil really doesn't seem to bother me too much. I'd like to shoot more and for us to shoot together, so I would like to purchase my own shotgun. Any suggestions from the ladies out there or from their male companions on what models they like, or tips for buying my first shotgun for sport? I've read a few articles on shotgun for ladies/women, but most seem to focus on reducing recoil, which I don't think is a huge deal for me personally, or youth guns for short i.e. 5' women. Thanks!

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I'm a bigger guy so I don't have to many problems, but I have a Remington 870 with a 20some inch barrel. My rifle team coach shoots it some times and it's nice to here and she's around 5'5". If the recoil did become to much there are tons of stocks out there that will take care of that for you. Mine is a pump aswell so it might not be what your looking for.

I have a friend with a Remington 1187 semi auto and it is just as reliable as my 12 ga

gotguns

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    FIT is important for ladies! Have you figured out your "length of pull"?

Find an I.P. that has some shotguns in stock. Price range is gonna play a role.

Beretta and Browning have Lady friendly firearms. Semi-auto "gas operated" will help with recoil as well as stock fit.

Hope this helped? Good luck! Enjoy the sport!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If you could post a price range and whether you want a semi auto or O/U and what guage it would help to point us in the right direction. You may want to go to PG Trap and Skeet and rent a couple of guns to try out. The last time I was there, there was a young lady working who could help fit a gun to you. Ergonomics make a difference as far as recoil goes. Lots of the better guns today come with stock spacers and shims to semi customize a gun to you.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Ergonomics is everything. You just have to find what fits you best.

This. For a sporting shotgun I think you should really find a dealer who has experience with them to help you find one that will fit (both literally and figuratively) the best for what you intend to use it for.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    +1 on the FIT is everything. I use collapsable stocks on most of mine so they can fit anyone from 6'5" me to a 5yr old. I would recomend one of the 20ga "youth/ grow with me" packages. They have a youth stock and spacers to take it to the "adult" size. There are other variables such as comb and cast but once you find what hits where you point stick with that configuration.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What is your budget? When you start getting to the higher priced single barrel or O/U guns, stocks can be fitted. I do not know if a Beretta 391 stock can be shortened.

I would spend a day shooting here, http://www.pgparks.com/Page359.aspx and rent a few shotguns.

Jack Bart, out of Barts Sports World fits stocks to people.

http://bartssports.com/StockFitting.asp

You may want to visit Jack's shop and talk with him.

Welcome to the world of shooting and the forum.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Depends on Budget.

I would look for a Beretta AL391 Urika 2 RL (Reduced length) at about $1200.
    My GF who is 5'2" and has short arms uses a Mossberg Silver Reserve Youth size (about $500).The gun was only available as a 20 gauge with the youth size.
    I also purchased a youth stock (from EBay) for a Rem 870 I had around for only $30, but with the shorter stock, the gun is nose heavy and she has trouble supporting it properly.
    She shoots the Mossberg SR 20 gauge pretty well.

For me (I need a 14" LOP usually) I bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon and had an adjustable comb added, a mid bead, and a Kick-Eez pad, and had the stock shortened (fit by Jack Bart) at the same time. (about $2500 total).

It depends on Budget.

ps: You must try the gun. Although I need a 14" Lop on my Beretta 12, my Beretta 20 is fine at 14 1/4 due to the smaller frame on the 20 gauge. Yet, my Guerini trap 12 fits great at 14 1/2 due to the different pitch and drop at the heel.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Depends on the price range:

1) 1100 sporting LT 20 ga. This is the budget gun, soft shooter, shorter LOP, VERY reliable and easy to get used to.

2) Beretta A400 (as mentioned above). I wasn't aware they had come out with youth models yet, but with your height, you will probably be into a shorter LOP and likely shorter overall gun. Any of the "B" guns are going to cost more, but for the most part you get what you pay for.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    When I see people shooting 870's and Mossbergs for target sports I cringe. Sure, you CAN use them, but after a while you have to ask yourself WHY? Those pump guns beat the schit out of you. (and) I don't care what any of you say, getting back on target after having to manually eject and chamber a round simply can't be a good situation.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Depends on the price range:

1) 1100 sporting LT 20 ga. This is the budget gun, soft shooter, shorter LOP, VERY reliable and easy to get used to.

2) Beretta A400 (as mentioned above). I wasn't aware they had come out with youth models yet, but with your height, you will probably be into a shorter LOP and likely shorter overall gun. Any of the "B" guns are going to cost more, but for the most part you get what you pay for.

Hmmm. Maybe the youth models are 391s, but Vince showed me one of the new 400's (didn't actually see a RL 400)

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Come out to one of the Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club shotgun events or one of the AGC public shotgun sessions and ask for opinions and get to try a few out. Most of the folks who attend are more than willing to let you handle thier shotgun and even shoot a round of trap. Alternatiovely, attend a Women On Target shotgun clinic!

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    If you want to try a Remington 870 youth model in 20 gauge let me know. I am at the AGC most Sundays. This 870 has the short barrel and short stock.

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Lots of opinions, all over the place here. I may as well provide mine:

1) Pumps can and do get shot a lot at trap events. A couple of guys I shoot trap with regularly shoot 870's and both are very good trap shooters. If set up properly, with a proper length of pull, and a good recoil pad (or system like a Gracoil) shooting target loads, they will NOT beat you up. Not so great for doubles, but budget minded.

2) Remington 1100. Has probably won more trap and skeet tournaments than any other shotgun. Period. Soft shooting and short length of pull. Great for singles or doubles. Budget minded as well. Parts are readily available and simple to maintain.

3) O/U's are the preferred shotgun for trap / skeet. More expensive (sky's the limit really) but will last longer, fewer parts, and can be set up for any length of pull / shooting preferences. Other options here are combos with a single barrel for 16's and handicaps and a double barrel for doubles.

Go shoot some other guns. If you shoot trap and skeet now, you already know gun fit is key.

I see you are in Woodbine. If you would like to shoot an O/U or an 1100 trap model, come to the Mt. Airy IWLA any Thursday night and you are welcome to shoot my 1100 or Browning Citori XT. There will be others there that would also be glad to let you shoot their shotguns as well.

Good luck in your search.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Okay, since others have already mentioned some PROPER sporting guns, I'll go ahead and say it.

Buy once, cry once. It's very simple, I can shoot as well (rare as I may be) as guys with K-80's, and I, (with an A400 Excel) be shown up by a kid with an 870.

That being said, you can skip a few painful and expense steps by just getting fitted with the RIGHT gun and being done with it.

I shot a 625 Golden Clays tonight just to feel it out, Im now on a mission to own one.

You can buy 4 guns over the next three years and cry 4 times, or you can pony up the cash ( the cry ONCE part) and have a fine crafted TOOL for the rest of your life, 100K+ rounds no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom