Moved To Maryland from CA, not sure what I can bring. Done my homework, need advice

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apeter57

Jun 24, 2018
    I moved to Maryland for last year from CA for A 4-year graduate program. I plan to retain my California residency as I plan to move back after graduation. To my knowledge out of state students are not required change residency to Maryland within 90 days. (I will double check with the registrar to confirm this).

With this in mind, I have several firearms I would like to be able to take to the range:

Springfield 1911 (9mm-10 round mags)
    Ar-15 (Stag 15 lower, heavy barreled 18", 10 round mags, compensator)
    Remington 870
    Pump .22

I have done as much online research as possible, but most info discusses the cases when you change your residency and register the firearms within 90 days, which doesn't apply in my case. Here are my questions:
    (if possible put links of citations to the laws if you know them as I would like to have them for my record when moving them)

1) Can I bring these firearms over for the remainder of my program legally without having to register? Is it legal to have out of state purchased firearms?

2.) The AR-15 lower (stag-15) is on the banned copycat list of firearms, but it was built with a heavy barrel (18"), is this legal in MD? To my knowledge, the rifle is unregulated in Maryland due to having a heavy barrel, and shouldn't pose a problem. Is this correct, what code states this?

3.) Given that 1911 is considered a regulated firearm, can I bring this over given that it was purchased out of state? Do I need to/should I register it with MD even if I am not a resident? i.e. MSP-77R?

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ision/Firearms/RegulatedFirearmPurchases.aspx

According to the "as part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency." If I don't have the intent to become a resident does this circumvent the law, or do I just set myself up for a potential issue? Can I register it without changing residency?

4.) Who could I talk to make sure this is all above board...ATF, Maryland State Police? (I have called local gun shops, but I want some legit laws or legal code I can reference if I get hassled by the TSA when flying over.

If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated. Moreover, if you can cite the laws or post some links that I can print out while flying over, that would be awesome!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Remington and pump .22 are fine (I am assuming the pump 22 is a rifle).

The AR-15 Stag should be GTG. The heavy barreled versions are sold in MD. How do you know the Stag is "heavy barreled" tho? It should be marked or marketed as Heavy Barrel, so if you are the paranoid type keep the invoice or proof of sale where the firearm/upper is described as heavy barrel.

If the AR-15 is heavy barrel, it need not be registered. Nor do the pump 22 or 870.

The 1911 is a different problem. Not sure about the residency thing.

apeter57

Jun 24, 2018
    The Remington and pump .22 are fine (I am assuming the pump 22 is a rifle).

The AR-15 Stag should be GTG. The heavy barreled versions are sold in MD. How do you know the Stag is "heavy barreled" tho? It should be marked or marketed as Heavy Barrel, so if you are the paranoid type keep the invoice or proof of sale where the firearm/upper is described as heavy barrel.

If the AR-15 is heavy barrel, it need not be registered. Nor do the pump 22 or 870.

The 1911 is a different problem. Not sure about the residency thing.

I built the AR. Although the barrel does not have HBar enscribed on it. I have a purchase receipt with the description.

This is the one:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/arbarrel18stainlessfluted1in8fromheavybarrel

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Since when did owning a pistol require registration? I thought we voluntarily register when we buy them with our HQL.

Maybe I am wrong but owning and buying are two different steps.

PS , welcome to MD and hope your graduate program is successful.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I built the AR. Although the barrel does not have HBar enscribed on it. I have a purchase receipt with the description.

This is the one:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/arbarrel18stainlessfluted1in8fromheavybarrel

you are GTG on this barrel/upper. In fact I have that exact one. It doubles as a bat in case you run out of ammo cause when they say "heavy" here they mean it. So that's 3 of 4 no registration.

Also - there are no restrictions on possession of >10 rnd mags in MD. On your way through free America pick some up. You may or may not be able to take them back to CA, I have no opinion on that.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Since when did owning a pistol require registration? I thought we voluntarily register when we buy them with our HQL.

Maybe I am wrong but owning and buying are two different steps.

PS , welcome to MD and hope your graduate program is successful.

As of 2013, IIRC when you move to MD, you are supposed to involuntarily volunteer to register your pistols when you move to MD. IF you intend to be a resident. whether non-resident student status requires registration is the subject of intense debate.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Some people, in some states, would refer to that as legal counsel. ;)

As of 2013, IIRC when you move to MD, you are supposed to involuntarily volunteer to register your pistols when you move to MD. IF you intend to be a resident. whether non-resident student status requires registration is the subject of intense debate.

apeter57

Jun 24, 2018
    Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it! One of the MD codes I recently found is this:

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ision/Registration/VoluntaryRegistration.aspx

The registration of a regulated firearm that is not required by Maryland State statute to be registered in the Maryland Automated Firearms Services System (i.e., Firearm(s) that were legally purchased in another state by an individual who resided in that state who has now established residency in the State of Maryland and moved their estate belongings into the State of Maryland, an individual who possesses regulated firearms or other types of firearms not previously registered in the State of Maryland who desires to register it), or an individual who performed a secondary sale of a regulated firearm in Maryland prior to the Gun Violence Act of 1996 (effective October 1, 1996).

Seems a bit contradictory with the registration part as some sources seem to say all regulated firearms need to be declared within 90 days if there is intent to declare residency. For reference the gun shops I called said I wouldnt need to register it, but they dont exactly have a big stake in my situation. A grad student budget wouldn't afford me legal counsel, haha.

Even though I dont plan to declare residency, I wonder if I am able to voluntarily register the 1911 in the database. I am really trying to avoid all potential legal hassles with the technicalities associated with the residency.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    That section is confusing and was there before 2013, so I am not even sure its accurate.

You can always call licensing and ask Monday. Call 3 times, you might get three different answers. Be sure to record the one you want. :lol2:

If it were me, I would say its ok to bring the 1911, but the minute you start paying MD taxes, sign up to vote, or apply for a DL, the clock starts ticking on voluntary involuntary registration because the case for non-residency dwindles. As hard as it is to believe, I am pretty sure MD taxes are lower than CA taxes, so over 4 years there will be a lot of incentive to establish residency and pay lower MD taxes. Also as hard as it is to believe, MD is still more firearms friendly than CA. You may find a lot of guns on the MD handgun roster not on CA roster, so you may find some incentive to get your HQL to buy something... which also entails residency.

In any case, seems like you have a lot of time to sort out the residency.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All your firearms per se are fine .

IF you truely maintain Cali Residency, you shouldn't need to register your pistol.

But the usual situation is that students strive to establish resendency as quickly as possible, in persuit of in state tuition .

But meanwhile , for 99.9% of comparison, Cali sucks way worse than even Maryland. During your stay here give thought to this being an opportunity to escape California.

apeter57

Jun 24, 2018
    All your firearms per se are fine .

IF you truely maintain Cali Residency, you shouldn't need to register your pistol.

But the usual situation is that students strive to establish resendency as quickly as possible, in persuit of in state tuition .

But meanwhile, for 99.9% of comparison, Cali sucks way worse than even Maryland. During your stay here give thought to this being an opportunity to escape California.

Luckily in my case, the school pays my tuition as I am a Ph.D. student doing research, so it doesnt change tuition fees which are covered by the program. The only thing to consider is that because I paid a stipend I do pay Maryland taxes, which is where some of the ambiguity of residency comes in.

It sounds like the next steps are to verify residency with the registrar and call the Maryland PD for registration and see what they say given the circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom