• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjump

Feb 24, 2013
    Smithsburg
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced semi-automatic shotgun...Although I have heard mixed reviews on Mossbergs 900 series, I do prefer American made. Any suggestions?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    remington and mossbergs are good shotguns...

got luck on my beretta extrema2 (yes..i know.. not american made..lol).. was on sale at bps long time ago.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Are you looking for a sporting gun or a tactical gun?
    Personally I like Benelli. I know they're not American, but they are nice.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    remington and mossbergs are good shotguns...

got luck on my beretta extrema2 (yes..i know.. not american made..lol).. was on sale at bps long time ago.

Love mine. Bought with a rifled barrel and I picked up a 28" smooth barrel for a great price. Took it to the Turkey shoot this past weekend and walked away winning 2 rounds and coming in 2nd for 2 (both were shoot offs too). Pretty happy with it.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    You could throw a VEPR 12 in the candidate pool. I'm not sure what you consider reasonably priced though. It's what I'm considering but the price has definitely increased (from about $1000 to $1400) and it's not American.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    It's not American but I like my Weatherby SA459TR. However, I'm reluctant to rely on a semi auto shotty for home defense. Prefer my Glock and Moss 500.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Love mine. Bought with a rifled barrel and I picked up a 28" smooth barrel for a great price. Took it to the Turkey shoot this past weekend and walked away winning 2 rounds and coming in 2nd for 2 (both were shoot offs too). Pretty happy with it.

Got the same.. Bought 24" barrel separately. Actually sept of last year after having the sg for few years (5+) and put in ext mag tube just this past dec. :)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced semi-automatic shotgun...Although I have heard mixed reviews on Mossbergs 900 series, I do prefer American made. Any suggestions?

You need to provide more info on what your price range and desired use is. As far as Made in USA is concerned, there isn't very much of that out there and it will limit your selection, but it can be done.

For hunting, I use a Benelli Super Black Eagle.
    For clays shooting, I use Beretta 3901 Teknyses.
    For home defense, I am going to get a Benelli M4.
    If I had it to do over again, I would probably have gone with the Benelli Sport II instead of the Berettas. Then again, I shoot the Berettas pretty well. They are just a pain to clean compared to the Benelli inertia system.

So, there are different autos for different things. Let us know what your budget and intended use is and then we can go from there.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I grew up with my dad's A-5 and that is what made me move from an auto to an o/u. Would pick up the BPS before I picked up that A-5. Then, I shot a buddy's Benelli SBE and the autos just kept coming for me.

I like them, before this one I had a Browning B-80...... Pretty much a Benneli I think. I loved it and it was a fast shooter that bled off recoil much better than the recoil operated A-5.

On_Target

Feb 7, 2013
    I vote Benelli also, That's kinda like supporting Beretta. Anyway, nova tactical or m series are pretty hard to beat. Their bird guns are super lightweight and hard to compete with, the Vinci is awesome.

I purchased a new 930 SPX last year and had to toss some money at it to make it reliable and function better. I could have sent it back to Mossberg but they would have changed out the same crap that was on the gun to begin with. My honest opinion, the shotgun was a POS right out of the box. Do your research, there seems to be a 50/50 shot that you'll get a nice gun right out of the box or a lemon.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I purchased a new 930 SPX last year and had to toss some money at it to make it reliable and function better. I could have sent it back to Mossberg but they would have changed out the same crap that was on the gun to begin with. My honest opinion, the shotgun was a POS right out of the box. Do your research, there seems to be a 50/50 shot that you'll get a nice gun right out of the box or a lemon.

Mine worked right out of the box. A lot of forums rave about it. 50/50 seems a bit of a stretch.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Does anyone know what this gun will be used for? Kind of pointless to offer suggestions without that information, IMO.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Mine worked right out of the box. A lot of forums rave about it. 50/50 seems a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, more like 49/51. lol

Seriously though, there is no way any manufacturer would be able to survive by putting out 50% lemons. The thing I do look for in firearms is their longevity with a lot of use. I want to buy a shotgun that has a history of working for 30+ years under some pretty heavy use. I am in it for the long haul. Would rather pay three times more for a gun that lasts me 30 years than 1/3 as much for a gun that lasts 10 years with a bunch of problems toward the end of its useful life.

Functionality is also important for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom