• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I can't find the post or letter now (I am on a medical mission). But there is a thread where I posted a letter I got from MSP specifically stating this configuration is legal.

Will search for your posting, if you come across the link or letter, please repost.

Stay out of harms way

Thanks

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Pretty much every M4 style carbine sold in MD by any manufacturer has the M203 cut and are perfectly legal. All of mine do but one. I even have a pencil barrel CAR15-A2 but I purchased it back in the 1980s so it's grandfathered in...I just can't sell or otherwise transfer it within MD.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    says on the MD search web page LE6920 is banned: http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

is LE6920HBPW same as the one MDSP reviewed? who knows.

The web page is only guidance anyway. I would discuss with the FFL that wil do the transfer before buying it.

jlowe23 in the post above you (Post #7), stated they are legal per his conversations with MSP.

For sure confusing, as you stated who knows. Ahhhhhhhhh The Shadow Knows!

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    What happens if the MSP decides that this model is later banned after multiple have been sold legally in state? Do those that purchased the HBPW get grandfathered in since they were legally acquired prior to the MSP deciding such?

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    Probably not a good idea to submit any rifles in question to MSP for them to decide if it should be banned or not. Do not put your remaining freedom in the hands of authorities. You will lose whatever you have left. This specific model is labeled by the manufacturer as a heavy barrel AR with a pinned and welded flash hider to reach the legal minimum length. It's allowed!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    That's legal. It's the pencil barrel that's not allowed.

That rifle is legal because it is advertised by the manufacturer as an HBAR or Heavy Barrel. Pencil barrel or not has nothing to do with it. Grenade launcher cut or not has nothing to do with it.

The law says that HBAR ARs are legal for sale, and at the current time the MSP has said that what determines HBAR or not is how the manufacturer advertises or marks it.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    If you go on Colts website in the rifle section and hit state compliance, Maryland, the 6920 hbpw is the only rifle that pops up. I like mine

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I think the Colt LE6920 SOCOM (heavy barrel per COLT) was allowed when it was briefly sold but now is on the MSP list as copycat...odd right?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Probably not a good idea to submit any rifles in question to MSP for them to decide if it should be banned or not. Do not put your remaining freedom in the hands of authorities. You will lose whatever you have left. This specific model is labeled by the manufacturer as a heavy barrel AR with a pinned and welded flash hider to reach the legal minimum length. It's allowed!

I deal with this all the time in government contracting. Some moron always asks for clarification about something minor. Next thing you know you're dealing with a new requirement.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That rifle is legal because it is advertised by the manufacturer as an HBAR or Heavy Barrel. Pencil barrel or not has nothing to do with it. Grenade launcher cut or not has nothing to do with it.

The law says that HBAR ARs are legal for sale, and at the current time the MSP has said that what determines HBAR or not is how the manufacturer advertises or marks it.
    The barrel on the Colt LE6920HBPW is also stamped HBAR, iirc. I don't know the history 100%, but I'm guessing that Colt came up with the terminology of HBAR and was the first use such barrels in their AR-15/M16 platform. So in a sense, they are the authority in defining what is an HBAR as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I think the Colt LE6920 SOCOM (heavy barrel per COLT) was allowed when it was briefly sold but now is on the MSP list as copycat...odd right?

Not odd at all. That list is full of errors, and the MSP themselves have said that it is provided only as "advice" and is not legally binding. The only thing that's legally binding is what is written in the law. MSP's current interpretation of that law (which could, of course, change at any time) is that something is exempt as an HBAR if it is marked or advertised by the manufacturer as being an HBAR or heavy barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom