• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I've got a quart can of Eezox that was opened probably 5-7 years ago. It's been kept in the original metal container and in a cool, dry place since I bought it. I noticed recently that the oil is darker and thicker than it was originally.

I love this stuff for rust prevention but would like to avoid putting something on my firearms that has somehow become useless, or worse, might somehow invite rust.

Any experience or educated thoughts on the matter? Many thanks, folks.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I've had my can for nearly 8 years, it still seems to be performing fine if getting a little less-than-golden.

Eezox is cagey about what it actually contains, but lists itself as a "slight chlorinated solvent". I don't think it has any oils that would start to polymerize over time. If left not tightly capped it could definitely lose some of its solvent powers as a cleaner--but whatever magic it leaves as a non-greasy film on surfaces should remain.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I've got a quart can of Eezox that was opened probably 5-7 years ago. It's been kept in the original metal container and in a cool, dry place since I bought it. I noticed recently that the oil is darker and thicker than it was originally.

I love this stuff for rust prevention but would like to avoid putting something on my firearms that has somehow become useless, or worse, might somehow invite rust.

Any experience or educated thoughts on the matter? Many thanks, folks.

I'll be curious to see if anyone else chimes in on this as well. I just used some Eezox from a can that had been opened quite some time ago and noticed the same thing.

I chalked it up to is being on my work bench in my un-insulated attic.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The cap has been kept rather tight, having gone so far as to snug it up, gently, with a pair of pliers after refilling a smaller bottle.

Last edited:

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Did you give it a good shake? Any sludge at the bottom of the can?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I would contact the manufacturer, he has been very responsive to my emails in the past.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Having gone straight to the horse's mouth, it turns out the solvent evaporates over time. Here's their reply to my email:

Thank you for the email. Over time, the solvent in Eezox will evaporate. This will leave you with the darker, thicker liquid that you are explaining. This will still work fine for lubrication, but because the solvent is no longer present, it will no longer perform as a cleaner. As a rust preventative, it will still work, but because the solvent acts as a carrier, it will not be as effective at working its way into the pores of the metal. If you would like to order a replacement, you may order from www.guntap.com. There are smaller sizes available if you need.

Thank you,

Clint Talbot

EEZOX MANUFACTURING

Operations Manager
    P: 1-800-350-8999
    F: 1-805-688-4651

P.O. BOX 1068

SOLVANG, CA 93464

- eezoxmanufacturing@impulse.net

- www.eezox.info

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Me either. I use it as a rust preventative after the firearm is clean. Eezox on and back in the safe.

I never understood the whole CLP thing. How are you going to clean something by leaving the cleaning agent (presumably with what you were trying to remove in the first place) on the firearm being cleaned.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I never understood the whole CLP thing. How are you going to clean something by leaving the cleaning agent (presumably with what you were trying to remove in the first place) on the firearm being cleaned.
    The solvent in Eezox evaporates after a short time and what you have left is the synthetic lube/anti-rust agent imbedded into the metal of the parts. I started using Eezox after talking to a number of pro shooters at matches I was shooting then. The kind of matches where you have to shoot regardless of the weather conditions (USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, 3-Gun, etc.)

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The solvent in Eezox evaporates after a short time and what you have left is the synthetic lube/anti-rust agent imbedded into the metal of the parts. I started using Eezox after talking to a number of pro shooters at matches I was shooting then. The kind of matches where you have to shoot regardless of the weather conditions (USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, 3-Gun, etc.)

I've been using it for years to prevent rust, lubrication is a side benefit but I wouldn't rely on that alone unless it was sandy/dusty conditions, I'm not sure what that has to do with cleaning which was the topic of the post you quoted.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I use it for a rust preventative. It is EXCELLENT for that purpose. I seem to have toxic hands and anything I handle will flash rust, but a nice Eezox wipe-down has performed like nothing else has.

I did an experiment years ago, and Eezox was definitely the winner. The only reason I suspect WD-40 did so well by comparison was that it was still "wet" and displaced the salty water (hanging the plates vertically was probably a mistake): https://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=56033

I still use other solvents for cleaning, and automotive products for lube.

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Also, don't buy Eezox in the plastic containers because it breaks down the plastic (not very noticeable) and the Eezox changes (very noticeable). The Eezox gets thicker much more quickly.

7A38

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom