• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    He was always a few bricks shy of a full load.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    He resigned prior to the adjudication of administrative charges. Same thing.

He was 54 when he left, had he just 'retired' he would have been able to carry under LEOSA. The fact that he didn't have a permit further supports that he didn't leave on good terms.

Yeah, I know he resigned, I read the article. I was addressing the post I quoted and his question about the equipment. I have no sympathy for the guy if he did all that was reported.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Wow...after reading this account I am sooooo glad I'm not former Trooper John W. Proper of Leonard!

In this state, they're going to crucify this guy. I just can't get over it. Have they set the execution date yet?

The driver was identified by his Maryland driver’s license as John W. Proper, 64 of St. Leonard.

Proper displayed a badge to Tpr. Keyser and stated “does this help?”

NO! Actually, just show them your license and keep your mouth shut. Now, sadly, all that nice stuff, including his badges, are going to be melted down into a manhole cover for use in Baltimore. Then they're going to cut his head off, put it on a spear and stick it next to a "Welcome to Maryland" sign on a well traveled road from Virginia, as a warning!

Funny how the ads appearing next to a story seems spookily appropriate at times.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You can't have a loaded shotgun in your trunk. A shotgun by itself with the ammo separate is no problem (unless you commit another crime, then its a problem, but so would be a wooden stick with a nail in it).

Just don’t carry the new, unloaded 14” Barrel Mossy’s or Remmy’s around unless you are going to the the range and back because they are registered as handguns.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Just don’t carry the new, unloaded 14” Barrel Mossy’s or Remmy’s around unless you are going to the the range and back because they are registered as handguns.

Takes a law degree to own firearms in this state..

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm wondering if he was able to keep and/or steal all his old gear? His Berretta was also stamped "Maryland State Police" How does a person get fired and still have all the state issued gear?

Cops buy all kinds of police gear because they DON'T get issued all the cool stuff. I don't think MSP stamps their weapons MSP.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    You can't have a loaded shotgun in your trunk. A shotgun by itself with the ammo separate is no problem (unless you commit another crime, then its a problem, but so would be a wooden stick with a nail in it).

So is it not legal to open carry long guns in this state? If it's legal to open carry then why would it be illegal to have a loaded long gun in your car/trunk?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So is it not legal to open carry long guns in this state? If it's legal to open carry then why would it be illegal to have a loaded long gun in your car/trunk?

Because of natural resources law. They don’t want people poaching from vehicles. So if you are caught with a loaded long gun in a vehicle...bad news.

A lot of states where handgun open carry is legal or CCW is easy to come by still makes a loaded long gun in a vehicle illegal because poaching (but not a loaded handgun).

Not all certainly, but many.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Sounds like the troopers just misunderstood the mag law. I really doubt they charged him because they somehow ascertained he bought the mags illegally. That's a whole extra investigation and one nobody is going to do for a few misdemeanor charges when they had plenty on him already.

A citation is not mandatory for the stop to be valid and subsequent evidence to be admissable, as long as they can testify to their probable cause. BUT it does look better in court, as the defense will raise the issue as a question mark. I have seen cases lost in the end over that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Open carry of long guns , not withstanding grandfathered local ordances , is legal * on foot * . Seperate statute prohibits loaded firearms in vehicles , with exception of handguns for Permit holders and LE .

I've asked here various occasions about horseback carry , but always assumed to be a joke .( At the time , I had TWH and a saddle )

ScottB

Apr 22, 2009
    Pasadena
    I had a truck driver working at my HVAC branch years ago whose father was good friends with the Lt. Col./Chief of the Criminal Investigation Bureau MSP Pikesville. The guy got stopped for speeding on I-95 at I-195 and he pulled out a "Get out of Jail" business card from the Lt. Col. He then told the trooper he should call his dad's buddy and he would OK letting him off with a warning. The boss flipped out. He told the trooper to keep him there on the side of the road and he would be there ASAP. He showed up at the traffic stop 2 hours later, ripped up the business card and proceeded to conduct a mini roadside inspection on the little stake body truck. The guy got the $200 speeding ticket and we had to correct 2 minor inspection violations.

delaneyesq

Sep 1, 2011
    Sounds like the troopers just misunderstood the mag law. I really doubt they charged him because they somehow ascertained he bought the mags illegally. That's a whole extra investigation and one nobody is going to do for a few misdemeanor charges when they had plenty on him already.

A citation is not mandatory for the stop to be valid and subsequent evidence to be admissable, as long as they can testify to their probable cause. BUT it does look better in court, as the defense will raise the issue as a question mark. I have seen cases lost in the end over that.

Sound correct on all counts. But it is still disturbing that he was charged with possession of the magazines. No facts in the article support the speculation that he obtained them illegally.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Isn't there something in FSA2013 about use of or possession of standard capacity magazines in conjunction with a felony?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    DNR regulations. No, it doesn't make sense, but you can thank all those "hunters" shooting from their vehicles.

The hunting regulations run up against self-defense in this case.

EDIT: already answered - d*mn tapatalk...

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Trial Update.

Yesterdays trial was canceled on motion, and rescheduled.
    Trial 01/11/2018 13:00:00 Calvert District Court Courtroom 1 Canceled/Vacated
    Trial 02/28/2018 13:00:00 Calvert District Court Courtroom 1

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Open carry of long guns , not withstanding grandfathered local ordances , is legal * on foot * . Seperate statute prohibits loaded firearms in vehicles , with exception of handguns for Permit holders and LE .

I've asked here various occasions about horseback carry , but always assumed to be a joke .( At the time , I had TWH and a saddle )

My understanding of hunting law is the long gun cannot be loaded in, or leaning on, the vehicle, for the afore mentioned hunting restrictions against firing from a vehicle. I also thought you could not fire while standing on a road? Does that mean if you're open carrying and walking down a road (remove the vehicle from the equation) the long gun needs to be unloaded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom