• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Anyone care to step up and announce that they will be among the first to turn in their offending magazines?

I began my magazine crime spree at an early age. I was caught red-handed with a MAD magazine in class in the fifth grade. Nuns really hated Mad magazine, and I paid for my crime, you may be sure.

But somehow I find I'm still a contrarian.

Just keep moving them from state to state. They'll probably end up in Wyoming..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    CT never had a ballistic fingerprinting database. That’s defunct now, but I don’t believe MSP just threw away all that info. At the very least I believe The Who, what and where still exists.

In MD, it was fired cases that had to be sent to MSP.

They did NOTHING with them over the life of the program. There was no funding provided to process them.

So there are barrels and barrels of fired cases. Yes, the info is still there (unless the MSP sold the lot as scrap), but there is no organization.

Yes, MD knows of any regulated firearms purchased in the state, once they were regulated. But NOTHING about magazines.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017

They did NOTHING with them over the life of the program. There was no funding provided to process them.

So there are barrels and barrels of fired cases. Yes, the info is still there (unless the MSP sold the lot as scrap), but there is no organization.

Yes, MD knows of any regulated firearms purchased in the state, once they were regulated. But NOTHING about magazines.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this post. But I can certainly see the day where a Maryland judge accepts as probable cause for a search warrant the mere fact that an individual possesses a Glock registered with the state that is capable of accepting a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds. I think that's the point several in this thread are making.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I don't think anyone disagrees with this post. But I can certainly see the day where a Maryland judge accepts as probable cause for a search warrant the mere fact that an individual possesses a Glock registered with the state that is capable of accepting a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds. I think that's the point several in this thread are making.

It would still need to be something more than the mere fact that an individual possesses a Glock registered with the state that is capable of accepting a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds. What is probable cause? The fact that the firearm in question is extremely popular, requires more than what you are suggesting.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    It would still need to be something more than the mere fact that an individual possesses a Glock registered with the state that is capable of accepting a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds. What is probable cause? The fact that the firearm in question is extremely popular, requires more than what you are suggesting.

I don't disagree. But I also never thought we'd see the day where agents of the state shot a man dead on his doorstep based on an ex parte order.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Was discussing this with a retired Howard County officer saturday. He had just that morning taken his requal, & said NJ was part of the class discussion. Said he'd have to stop at the border, replace his hollowpoints with ball ammo & lock them & his standard mags in the trunk. He also said NJ locked up a uniformed HoCo officer who went to pick up a prisoner cuz he was carrying, even though he was in uniform & on official business. I laughed at that but he swore it was true. I wouldn't put it past NJ or NY to do something like that.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Said he'd have to stop at the border, replace his hollowpoints with ball ammo & lock them & his standard mags in the trunk.

Respectfully, I read this as a mere possession charge. The fact that they're in his trunk wouldn't save him if the officer legally gets in the trunk of thr vehicle.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    This is a disgusting law. Not surprised to see it in a place like NJ though. Here's hoping it gets struck down before this cancerous law spreads to other gun grabbing states.

Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013

I understand what your are saying completely, the ballistics program was a mess that didn’t accomplish what it set out to do. The very heart of my argument does not dispute that fact. What I am saying is that sense 2000 Maryland attempted to put together a database that linked shell case, to a specific firearm and a specific owner. That failed, but i do not think it’s a stretch to say that any government official can scrap ONLY the spent casings. The other info there is extremely valuable. Without the casing it’s a list of regulated firearm sold legally in the state of Maryland from 2000 to 2015. MSP knows what regulates firearms I have. Do they know everything? I hope not. If Maryland did want to retroactively ban magazines with a capacity larger than 10 or 7 rounds they could. And, they could potentially have a list of possible perpetrators to issue search warrants for. If John Doe owns a glock 17 and we know where he lives. It’s safe to say he probably owns one or two magazines for his glock, it would be a little frustrating to shoot a glock 17 without a mag... so let’s go knock on John Doe’s door at 5am and make sure he’s compliant.

On a side note Maryland has been pretty ruthless enforcing these red flag laws... the same will probably be true with future legislation. With that bombshell I’m going to get my tinfoil hat now and ground it properly.

And I also have to say I like reading about the Patriots Pickets, all of you have done excellent work. Wish I could join you, UMD has me tied down with an overwhelming amount of school work.

Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013
    I would also like to add that some previously stated probable cause to issue a warrant is lacking. Your probably right. I’m not a lawyer. But we’re also here arguing the constitutionality of a retroactive mag ban, that is blatantly unconstitutional... and it’s still on the books. I think my fear I rightfully placed, and gun owners up and down the east and west coast have treated “differently”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    I would also like to add that some previously stated probable cause to issue a warrant is lacking. Your probably right. I’m not a lawyer. But we’re also here arguing the constitutionality of a retroactive mag ban, that is blatantly unconstitutional... and it’s still on the books. I think my fear I rightfully placed, and gun owners up and down the east and west coast have treated “differently”.

So is seizing one's property without due process but they are doing that anyway.

Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013
    So is seizing one's property without due process but they are doing that anyway.

Yes, if they are a totalitarian. Ask David Hog, there are many political leaders that agree with him. And, many more like minded useful idiots that feel its necessary. Red flag law have already seized private property with out due process.

Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013

Sorry I miss read. These situations are frustrating, it would be nice not to have to worry about being retroactively legislated a felon. I feel sorry for gun owners in NJ, I truly do.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

What semi auto with a detachable magazine will not accept a magazine of over 10 rounds???????

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I understand what your are saying completely, the ballistics program was a mess that didn’t accomplish what it set out to do. The very heart of my argument does not dispute that fact. What I am saying is that sense 2000 Maryland attempted to put together a database that linked shell case, to a specific firearm and a specific owner. That failed, but i do not think it’s a stretch to say that any government official can scrap ONLY the spent casings. The other info there is extremely valuable. Without the casing it’s a list of regulated firearm sold legally in the state of Maryland from 2000 to 2015. MSP knows what regulates firearms I have. Do they know everything? I hope not. If Maryland did want to retroactively ban magazines with a capacity larger than 10 or 7 rounds they could. And, they could potentially have a list of possible perpetrators to issue search warrants for. If John Doe owns a glock 17 and we know where he lives. It’s safe to say he probably owns one or two magazines for his glock, it would be a little frustrating to shoot a glock 17 without a mag... so let’s go knock on John Doe’s door at 5am and make sure he’s compliant.

On a side note Maryland has been pretty ruthless enforcing these red flag laws... the same will probably be true with future legislation. With that bombshell I’m going to get my tinfoil hat now and ground it properly.

And I also have to say I like reading about the Patriots Pickets, all of you have done excellent work. Wish I could join you, UMD has me tied down with an overwhelming amount of school work.

DUH, they have a list of every regulated firearm sold in the state since about 1966 (or so).

That is the time when the Form 77 was required for purchase of a handgun. Later expanded to other regulated firearms.

They don't need any "data" from the spent casing crap.

Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013
    DUH, they have a list of every regulated firearm sold in the state since about 1966 (or so).

That is the time when the Form 77 was required for purchase of a handgun. Later expanded to other regulated firearms.

They don't need any "data" from the spent casing crap.

Then it’s worse than I suspected, a database going back to 1966. Now only one question remains. How many here think they will get a knock on the door for an officer questioning or checking compliance??? I forgot where I heard this it was recent, but law enforcement officers cease to be law enforcement in such a case and become arbiters of the state. Law enforcement hasn’t gone door to do in CT to round up unregistered “assault rifles”. New Jersey is debating door to door checks for magazines. I feel Maryland will be tactful in the wording of additional laws and MSP won’t bat an eye over compliance checks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom