• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I liked ‘Common Sense Gun Reform’. Common to whom??

Every time I hear " common sense gun control:" I hear "I can't prove it but it must be true because I say so"

Would be interesting to go back and trace the rate of violence with firearms before and after major regulations changes in given jurisdictions and see if the trajectory changed from that previously or vs the national average. Would be hilarious if the trajectory could be shown to have risen.

New slogan: gun control increases crime by making better victims.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Every time I hear " common sense gun control:" I hear "I can't prove it but it must be true because I say so"

Would be interesting to go back and trace the rate of violence with firearms before and after major regulations changes in given jurisdictions and see if the trajectory changed from that previously or vs the national average. Would be hilarious if the trajectory could be shown to have risen.

You need look no further than Baltimore: murders skyrocketed after Firearms Act 2013.

(Yes, I deliberately left out one word; I'm not fluent in Newspeak.)

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Speaking of Newspeak, there's a decoding trick that I use with announcements of new ideas in civil rights infringing bills. Here it is:
    Common sense = I may have read this, but it got me a hefty "contribution" and I don't care how it affects you. I'm exempt.
    Comonsense = I have no idea what this bullsh1t is; I was just handed some papers to submit and an envelope. Looks like cash. And they said I'm exempt.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    True. Partially because even the proponents of this "right" cannot agree on when the right stops.

For instance, convicted felons (not on parole) can speak their minds, choose their religion, be free from illegal searches....but they cant own a gun, legally. And most gun owners would agree with this...

BUT

If it is a RIGHT, then why don't we, and by proxy our legislation, treat it as such and restrict the RIGHT only for very specific cases?

It would seem to me that to us, and to others in this country, we will curtail rights at the drop of a hat, which means that we don't actually know what a right is.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Here in the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland, very little can be done outright. However, here are several ideas I have brought up before and that I am doing. 1) Register as a Democrat and vote against the incumbent in the primary. Many times these grabbers get renominated by a slight margin. When they lose write and tell them it was their stance on guns Also, when you write them they will find out if you are Democrat or not and will respond if you are and ignore if you are not. 2) Support MSI and all legal challenges to MD laws in the courts, that is the only way we will win anything here right now. 3) Take someone shooting, your kids or a friend. You don't have to be a hunter to enjoy the sport of shooting. Education and experience and memories will help. My son and I stop for lunch on the way out and a treat on our way back.

Anything and everything people can do to protect our 2nd Amendment right should be supported.

My politically savvy father taught me all about this when I was registering to vote for the first time. While our family was conservative we lived in a very Blue Dog Democrat part of SW PA. My father ran for office as a Republican the first and only time to defeat. We learned that as a Republican in a heavily Democrat district you were an outsider with no voice or power. So I've been a DINO all my adult life. Has served me well for the 30 plus years I've lived in MD. Gives me some semblance of political power during primaries by being able to choose the lesser of two evils. And you get a little more juice when writing to a Democrat politician.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I am cross-posting this from the "Revolution" thread:

I may have already posted this before elsewhere, but it can't be posted enough: There are simply not enough Leftists and their Jack-Booted Thug Door Kickers to accomplish what they want to accomplish.

Here is the quick math table taken from the EXCELLENT article posted by SurvivalBlog author and firearms expert James Wesley Rawles on the Left's "Impossible Dream":

As evidenced by the 1990s wars in the Balkans, when times get inimical, contraband guns get pulled out of walls and put into use. We can expect to see the same, here.

Now, to get back to the simple mathematics, here are some ratios to ponder:

NRA members (5.2 million) to Door Kickers (82,863) = 63-to-1 ratio
    Military veterans (20.4 million) to Door Kickers (82,863) = 249-to-1 ratio
    Unregistered machineguns (1.5 million) to Door Kickers (82,863) = 18-to-1 ratio
    Privately owned semi-auto rifles (40 million) to Door Kickers (82,863) = 485-to-1 ratio

Read the full article here and you will cheer and do a little dance...

https://survivalblog.com/mathematics-countering-tyranny/

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I am cross-posting this from the "Revolution" thread:

I may have already posted this before elsewhere, but it can't be posted enough: There are simply not enough Leftists and their Jack-Booted Thug Door Kickers to accomplish what they want to accomplish.

Here is the quick math table taken from the EXCELLENT article posted by SurvivalBlog author and firearms expert James Wesley Rawles on the Left's "Impossible Dream":

Read the full article here and you will cheer and do a little dance...

https://survivalblog.com/mathematics-countering-tyranny/

This is a very valid and true statement. this is why they cannot all out ban and confiscate the firearms in this country... it takes decades of slow monotonous restrictions. and after a few generation nobody cares. that is the only way to get to their end goal it must be a little bit at any opportunity.

personally i believe that their patience has run out and they will overplay their hand (well already have been) and it will backfire on them. too many laws, not enough stacked courts.

if a democrat wins in 2020 it WILL be full court press. 2020 is too early for there to be no resistance.

one other addition to the above stats...

those ratios assume that the gun takers will be resolved in their mission and continue till the last man dies. i would wager half quit after the first few are killed stealing an otherwise harmless piece of steel from an otherwise harmless law abiding citizen.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    One would be surprised how many veterans are anti-2A. I used to work with one. He had been a paper pusher in the navy and was completely against private ownership of any weapons including firearms

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    True. Partially because even the proponents of this "right" cannot agree on when the right stops.

For instance, convicted felons (not on parole) can speak their minds, choose their religion, be free from illegal searches....but they cant own a gun, legally. And most gun owners would agree with this...

BUT

If it is a RIGHT, then why don't we, and by proxy our legislation, treat it as such and restrict the RIGHT only for very specific cases?

It would seem to me that to us, and to others in this country, we will curtail rights at the drop of a hat, which means that we don't actually know what a right is.

Until recently, it was unanimously held that felons forfeited both their rights to firearms and their voting rights. If you were truly reformed and wanted your rights back, you begged for a pardon, not universal amnesty - reeks of the same universal amnesty for illegal immigration - feel good CRAP

If you don't want these penalties for certain crimes the solution isn't restoration of rights to felons, the solution is changing the crime to misdemeanors

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    ...one other addition to the above stats...

those ratios assume that the gun takers will be resolved in their mission and continue till the last man dies. i would wager half quit after the first few are killed stealing an otherwise harmless piece of steel from an otherwise harmless law abiding citizen.

I agree, and I'll tell you why - it would be a PSYOP. The anti-grabbers are absolutely indistinguishable from the sheeple. That makes EVERYONE a potential assassin at assembly points, enroute, dismount and muster, home, church, baseball, etc. In short, EVERYWHERE. Note that many, many veterans are schooled to some degree in guerrilla warfare and know/have done the TTPs for door to door combat...

That thought would live in the grabbers heads and do untold damage. It would make the Baltimore street shootings look like a Sunday School picnic to the grabbers and door kickers. Just hypothesizing...

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    You need look no further than Baltimore: murders skyrocketed after Firearms Act 2013.

(Yes, I deliberately left out one word; I'm not fluent in Newspeak.)

We gotta be careful about how we tie that stuff together, otherwise we are no better than the opposition. They constantly tie together unrelated data to drive their agenda.

2013: 235 murders. (FSA in October)
    2014: 211 murders
    2015: 344 murders. (Freddie Gray riots in April)

The reality is that there is little if any impact of the 2013 legislation on the Baltimore murder rate.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The reality is that there is little if any impact of the 2013 legislation on the Baltimore murder rate.

Exactly why we push the fact that it's a dismal failure based on it's stated purpose as a "Firearms SAFETY Act" Exceeding 300 murders four out of the five years since it's passage really makes me think it's safer!!!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    The only "common sense" law I can see is the repeal of any gun laws and make the crime against the law as a weapon that fires 1 or 1 million rounds in a split second can only be used in a crime by a criminal. A shotgun in the hands of a criminal who puts a round in your chest is no less dangerous because of the lack of magazine in the shotgun. The gun commits no crime as it is simply a tool. Let's just punish criminal actions. Criminal actions are those that negatively effect someone else...like robbery, assault with a weapon. The mere possession of any weapon in and of itself has no victim so how can you criminalize that. The left wants to talk about common sense. I don't see a middle ground as anything they call common sense is merely another restriction on an inanimate object.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Until recently, it was unanimously held that felons forfeited both their rights to firearms and their voting rights. If you were truly reformed and wanted your rights back, you begged for a pardon, not universal amnesty - reeks of the same universal amnesty for illegal immigration - feel good CRAP

If you don't want these penalties for certain crimes the solution isn't restoration of rights to felons, the solution is changing the crime to misdemeanors

Except, in this state, misdemeanors with a maximum sentence of 3yrs = no guns. And God help you if you got a misdemeanor in a state that has no expungements for misdemeanors, before moving to MD, because then you are screwed.

My point was, if it is a RIGHT, and not a privilege, why is it and others so readily taken away? Mayhaps we should make it the bill of priveledge. Because that is how we view them anyway.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The only "common sense" law I can see is the repeal of any gun laws and make the crime against the law as a weapon that fires 1 or 1 million rounds in a split second can only be used in a crime by a criminal. A shotgun in the hands of a criminal who puts a round in your chest is no less dangerous because of the lack of magazine in the shotgun. The gun commits no crime as it is simply a tool. Let's just punish criminal actions. Criminal actions are those that negatively effect someone else...like robbery, assault with a weapon. The mere possession of any weapon in and of itself has no victim so how can you criminalize that. The left wants to talk about common sense. I don't see a middle ground as anything they call common sense is merely another restriction on an inanimate object.

Stop being logical and put some emotion in it, that's all liberals understand.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Every time I see the trigger word "commonsense" (Gun Grabber word, as opposed to the two word English form), I substitute "Bullsh1t" in it's place and it all becomes crystal clear. The Gun Grabber form can be traced back to an early Everytown press release and talking point that has been recycled verbatim ever since. It makes it absurdly simple to identify a script written by a lobbyist and recited by a brain dead politician.

Using the phrase "common sense" is actually a very passive aggressive thing to do. The speaker is implying that everybody already knows what he is talking about, and if he has to explain it to you, YOU must be stupid.

No, friend, I'm an neither stupid, nor do I make assumptions. Please explain your position to me and I'll decide if your explanation is commonly understood and if it makes sense.

Let me direct you to the Official Party Platform, written in 2016:

https://democrats.org/about/party-platform/

So there you are boys and girls, it's spelled out in their official Party Platform.

Now, who is on record as the enemy of freedom?

"Preventing gun violence" is a laudable goal. After all, who is in favor of gun violence? The devil is in the details of HOW they propose to prevent gun violence. Here are some details from the party platform:

PREVENTING GUN VIOLENCE
    With 33,000 Americans dying every year, Democrats believe that we must finally take sensible action to address gun violence. While responsible gun ownership is part of the fabric of many communities, too many families in America have suffered from gun violence. We can respect the rights of responsible gun owners while keeping our communities safe. To build on the success of the lifesaving Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, we will expand and strengthen background checks and close dangerous loopholes in our current laws; repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) to revoke the dangerous legal immunity protections gun makers and sellers now enjoy; and keep weapons of war—such as assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines (LCAM’s)—off our streets. We will fight back against attempts to make it harder for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to revoke federal licenses from law breaking gun dealers, and ensure guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists, intimate partner abusers, other violent criminals, and those with severe mental health issues. There is insufficient research on effective gun prevention policies, which is why the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must have the resources it needs to study gun violence as a public health issue.

https://democrats.org/about/party-platform/#gun-violence

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Why not just make more laws that the average citizen who isn't committing any crimes will have to follow. That way, we can feel like we are doing something to change things while not actually addressing the problem(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom