• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Based on Youtube videos, I just ordered a Kershaw Oso Sweet.

I figured it was only $27.00 with shipping, so if it is found to be a loss, it is no big deal.

Anyone here have one or an opinion on them?

Rmocarsky

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I like the design and ergonomics of Kershaw knives but have never been able to resharpen them in a way that was completely satisfactory for me.

One day Ill probably come across one, it may have just been the examples that I had in front of me.

I still keep a Kershaw filet knife with the gate that allows you to switch to the scaler/serrated blades because it's so well made but just cant get a decent edge on it. A good working edge is attainable but could never get it razor sharp.

I would still try another just because I like them for some reason.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    I like the design and ergonomics of Kershaw knives but have never been able to resharpen them in a way that was completely satisfactory for me.

One day Ill probably come across one, it may have just been the examples that I had in front of me.

I still keep a Kershaw filet knife with the gate that allows you to switch to the scaler/serrated blades because it's so well made but just cant get a decent edge on it. A good working edge is attainable but could never get it razor sharp.

I would still try another just because I like them for some reason.

If you dont dull the knife very often I believe Kershaws lifetime free sharpening could be useful. They take mail-ins.

Edit: Just read starting 1 Jan they are charging a $7 return fee. Now the service isnt worth it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Liner lock, screw heads studding a grivory handle, and Assisted Opening, meh, just one of the dozens of their cheap folders, just a few bucks more can get a Natrix, probably the best EDC/utility folder south of their ZT line, especially with a steel uppgrade.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have the Oso but honestly haven't used it much. My EDC is a Kershaw Shuffle, small enough that I can carry it to business meetings in slacks and it'll meet the most stringent of government blade restrictions.

All Kershaws are no-frills Chinese knives using adequate but not outstanding steels. I seem to lose a knife every year or so... so I'm happy with a $20 knife that does what it needs to. You'll be happy with it, congrats, even if you eventually decide to sink more into another assisted-open one day.

I've had people comment on how sharp mine is, but I don't claim to be an expert. My sharpening job looks awful but maybe it's got nice microserrations. It's a cheap knife so I don't have to care... :D

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My Kershaw filet knife is made in Japan, it's probably 25 or more years old.
    I think the problem with it is it wasn't drawn back properly to pearlite from martensite when it was tempered. The whole blade was tempered too quickly leaving it hard all the way through.
    If the edge surface was able to cool slower it would be easier to put an edge back on it and be workable.
    Sucks because otherwise it would be a great knife.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    I have an Oso Sweet that I bought used for $5. It is worth every penny as a disposable knife or an extra one to stick in the car. For over $20, you can do better, though. A quick look on Amazon will show a dizzying number of Kershaws including the Clash, Shuffle, Cryo, Brawler, RJ Tactical, etc. Spend a little more and you can get a better Kershaw such as a Leek or Natrix.

The saving grace of a knife made of cheap steel is that it is usually easy to sharpen if you ever use it.

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    OP here.

Well the Kershaw Oso Sweet came in the mail yesterday.

It is a very handsome little guy, but man, I gotta say, it's edge is pathetic.

I am used to Bucks and Shrades and Camillus which come extremely sharp from the factory.

The blade on the Oso Sweet looks sharp, but it is no where close to the three I mentioned.

It will not shave hair off arm.

Does anyone know if the Buck or Shrade assisted openers come with an edge comparable to their hunting knives?

Rmocarsky

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Try and sharpen it, even if its new although you shouldn't have to. I have see a few buck knives that were razor sharp out of the box but were purchased years ago. I have an old Shrade that's hard to get an edge on but it keeps even after being in water/hard use.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I have not tried that model yet but just bought my first kershaw for Christmas as a stocking-stuffer and am most pleased with it...a 3.5 Nura-

Attachments

• nura1.jpg
      nura1.jpg
      22.3 KB · Views: 169

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    llkoolkeg,

Is it shaving sharp?

On the Oso Sweet the edge looks impressive.

But that is deceptive.

Rmocarsky

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    If you like cheap knives, you need to get a cheap sharpening stone or rod.

Even expensive knives may not be as good as advertised.
    I have a PM2 in S110V and it isn’t as sharp as expected. It will be worth it to mail it in for sharpening when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've had a few really good knives that came with a crappy, uneven, rough factory edge. Benchmade is probably the worst out of the major brands, have had to profile almost every single one out of the box, my nearly $300 BM51 Morpho looked like it was sharpened on concrete, really deep marks, almost 30 degrees on one side, less than 20 on the other with a bevel about twice as wide. my Taichung Spydercos are probably the best edges out of the box, all came shaving sharp. My Domino came at a perfect 32 degree inclusive, dead even, and appeared to be a relatively fine grit used, it was an absolute razor that held up for months before I had to touch it up.

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    OP again.

Did a google search of knife sharpening businesses in AA Co.

I have a Lansky system (somewhere!) but thought I'd search the net anyway.

Lo and behold there is one The Grinding Company less than a half hour from me that charges $2 per knife to sharpen, and they have 15 positive reviews.

I'll be seeing them when I have some spare time.

Rmocarsky

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have two oso's that alternate as my EDC. They will sharpen and hold a decent edge. I paid $14 for each of them an have been happy with them for my inded purpose. My only complaint is the pocket clip. I found it easy to hang up and bend. The clips were removed and the knife fits perfectly in the watch pocket of my jeans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom