• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If this IS your first firearm, I would suggest a safety/use training class for you and your wife.
    BTW, I like and use bore snakes.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    In my "plastic box" I have a cleaning kit, extra patches, some q-tips, and a toothbrush.
    Get a NRA Membership and receive a free duffel bag (and magazines every month) You can fit your cased guns, binoculars, hearing protection inside, as well as targets, staple-gun, tools etc. in zippered pockets.
    All is stored in the duffel bag, and when I go to the Range, I need only to load the guns and ammo can.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Training was a good suggestion others made. Other things not mentioned, first aid. Get yourself a decent first aid kit and a trauma pak and stick them in your range bag. Always good to have whether it is for something small like cutting yourself on something or in case something terrible happens. Remember you never know who is going to be at a range at a given time, it could be people who know and practice safety or it could be an idiot like the guy who was a recorded pointing a gun at his friends head at a range trying to get a selfie.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    For safety glasses, I found a company called Elvex which makes inexpensive reader/cheater style. Go to pretty much any Walmart or drug store and find what magnification you need for arm's-length reading clarity, that will be pretty close to front sight distance. You want to clearly focus on the front sight, it doesn't matter if the target is a little fuzzy.

A duffel bag with extra zippered pockets on the outside serves me well for range trips. Two or three handguns in cases will fit in the big compartment, with mags/ammo, eye/ear protection, etc. in the outer compartments. Somewhere there is a letter from the MD Attorney General explaining that loaded magazines are OK for transport so long as they are NOT in the gun.

And, what everybody else said about training. A "Basic Pistol" class will be a good start. After that practice, practice, practice.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One tip, get your cleaning stuff, clean and lube the new gun, the forget you have the cleaning kit for quite a while.

Most people over clean their firearms, and do more damage from over cleaning than ever from use.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    One thing I have only seen mentioned once is to set up a area in your home for maintenance on your new firearm. Ideally it should be well lighted and well ventilated as some solvents and cleaning supplies have odors that your significant other may not like. Try to have room for upgrades as not many of us have purchased just one firearm. Try to keep it a secured area and off limits to any little ones. If you have to use the kitchen tables, get a lockable tool box that you can put all your tools, solvents and such into. And congrats on your first firearm!

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Makes sense I will wait for my patterns. bore snake I won't get those.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I actually love bore snakes for quick barrel cleaning. As long as you throw them in the washing machine after a few uses, you’ll be fine. When you want to do more detailed cleanings, you can use wire brushes and such.

I also recommend “Howard Leight” hearing protection. They are electronic and let you hear people talking, like range officer’s instructions, but block out the gunfire. I’ve been using them for over 10 years and love them.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...t+earmuffs&dpPl=1&dpID=41JgBJo7qgL&ref=plSrch

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    for handgun range bags, I like to use tool bags. Husky makes several models under $15 that are strong, inconspicuous, and have a lot of extra pockets to carry extra mags, eyes & ears, bottles of oil or Hoppes #9, ammo, etc. Other brands are out there, too...Sears has good sales on theirs from time to time.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    for handgun range bags, I like to use tool bags. Husky makes several models under $15 that are strong, inconspicuous, and have a lot of extra pockets to carry extra mags, eyes & ears, bottles of oil or Hoppes #9, ammo, etc. Other brands are out there, too...Sears has good sales on theirs from time to time.
    Nice didn't think of those. I understand this would not be considered legal advice but I was under the impression that it had to be a bag made for the purpose pacifically transporting guns. They're made of some secure material and they lock up the firearm they have to meet a specification. I mean to me if someone were to break into my car they will just take the whole bag. The more and more I look into this stuff scares me, makes me responsible for the actions of criminals

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    I actually love bore snakes for quick barrel cleaning. As long as you throw them in the washing machine after a few uses, you’ll be fine. When you want to do more detailed cleanings, you can use wire brushes and such.

I also recommend “Howard Leight” hearing protection. They are electronic and let you hear people talking, like range officer’s instructions, but block out the gunfire. I’ve been using them for over 10 years and love them.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...t+earmuffs&dpPl=1&dpID=41JgBJo7qgL&ref=plSrch
    These are interesting pieces of equipment I did not know existed. But do they work 100% of the time? The indoor ranges are Superbad at least the one I've been to Maryland Small Arms. What's the likelihood of a gun going off and the electronics not catching it? My wife is definitely super sensitive with ear plugs and muffs she was having a tough time in there. Is it bad etiquette to listen to music while shooting?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    These are interesting pieces of equipment I did not know existed. But do they work 100% of the time? The indoor ranges are Superbad at least the one I've been to Maryland Small Arms. What's the likelihood of a gun going off and the electronics not catching it? My wife is definitely super sensitive with ear plugs and muffs she was having a tough time in there. Is it bad etiquette to listen to music while shooting?

Might make sense going to the range with an experienced shooter before taking others. When I take a new shooter to the range for the first time only the very last part of our time there is shooting, the majority is focused on rules and safety that needs to be second nature.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    One thing I have only seen mentioned once is to set up a area in your home for maintenance on your new firearm. Ideally it should be well lighted and well ventilated as some solvents and cleaning supplies have odors that your significant other may not like. Try to have room for upgrades as not many of us have purchased just one firearm. Try to keep it a secured area and off limits to any little ones. If you have to use the kitchen tables, get a lockable tool box that you can put all your tools, solvents and such into. And congrats on your first firearm!

Thanks I just bought it online $469 for a range kit ( don't have it yet). I hope it was a good deal took me a long time I was afraid of overpaying. I think I did pretty good but what do I know I'm new here I will be using the kitchen table I may get one of those mats that have the gun breakdown on them. I've also seen some that are just plain Gray but have sectioned areas for the various pieces.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

If your wife is currently wearing GOOD quality muffs AND earplugs, and is still super sensitive to the sounds of gunfire, Howard Leight electronic muffs aren’t the answer. Their sound attenuation is actually lower than a good pair of non-electronic muffs.

That’s not to say to stay away from electronic muffs. They’re great for hearing range commands and normal conversation. But you’re seemingly describing another need with different requirements.

What can make a real difference for her is 2 things. One, get her acclimated through repetition to being at a range and hearing gunfire. Two, get her to an outside range if at all possible, and away from indoor ranges. The difference can be huge.

No, you don’t want to be listening to music while shooting. Your ears are an important part of keeping things safe.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Might make sense going to the range with an experienced shooter before taking others. When I take a new shooter to the range for the first time only the very last part of our time there is shooting, the majority is focused on rules and safety that needs to be second nature.
    This isn't the first time I've been to the range. I rented a few guns to find out which one I wanted. I took a training course in Virginia and Maryland. It's been at least 6 years since the Virginia course. Just got the HQL last month, since I've decided to finally get one I have to get my wife out to the range so she can get comfortable and understand the real life Bang.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    If your wife is currently wearing GOOD quality muffs AND earplugs, and is still super sensitive to the sounds of gunfire, Howard Leight electronic muffs aren’t the answer. Their sound attenuation is actually lower than a good pair of non-electronic muffs.

That’s not to say to stay away from electronic muffs. They’re great for hearing range commands and normal conversation. But you’re seemingly describing another need with different requirements.

What can make a real difference for her is 2 things. One, get her acclimated through repetition to being at a range and hearing gunfire. Two, get her to an outside range if at all possible, and away from indoor ranges. The difference can be huge.

No, you don’t want to be listening to music while shooting. Your ears are an important part of keeping things safe.
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to do with her. She needs to still be able to hear commands. I've only been to an outside range once and they are better. The downsides to that would be impossible to go frequently because of their distance. She is one of those people that are afraid of the gun itself. Together we've been one time so far and she's a lot more comfortable and not as afraid of them. Once I get one in the house we can at least practice on her safety. I didn't think it was cool to listen to music but it was a feature on the product page so I just thought I'd ask.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to do with her. She needs to still be able to hear commands. I've only been to an outside range once and they are better. The downsides to that would be impossible to go frequently because of their distance. She is one of those people that are afraid of the gun itself. Together we've been a long time so far and she's a lot more comfortable and not as afraid of them. Once I get one in the house we can at least practice on her safety. I didn't think it was cool to listen to music but it was a feature on the product page so I just thought I'd ask.

She’s one of a LOT of people who are afraid of a gun itself. She hears the loud bang, then awaits “the worst”, whatever “the worst” might be. And she likely isn’t sure just what that is, but whatever it is can only be different degrees of bad, and can’t possibly be good.

Good that you recognize the distinction, because additional and proper firearms exposure is the cure for the uninitiated. The smiles come when sufficient and proper exposure replaces fear with healthy respect, and she comes to find out that SHE controls what that gun will and won’t do.

Good Luck!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks I just bought it online $469 for a range kit ( don't have it yet). I hope it was a good deal took me a long time I was afraid of overpaying. I think I did pretty good but what do I know I'm new here I will be using the kitchen table I may get one of those mats that have the gun breakdown on them. I've also seen some that are just plain Gray but have sectioned areas for the various pieces.

You have a link to this thing?

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD

Yes, the Howard Leight ear muffs work great. Sometimes I double up by using foam ear plugs too. This is when I shoot an AR with a muzzle brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom