• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaiju

Mar 2, 2013
    Hello MD Shooters! I seem to recall last year or the year before that many semi-auto rifles were banned, along with large magazines, and some other legal changes. I see though that many such rifles are still being sold, so my understanding of the legal change must be totally wrong. Can someone give me a quick run down of whats legal to purchase and own in maryland? Also, is it illegal to buy a banned firearm out of state and bring it home? My first thought is yes, obviously, but i have seen in a couple threads that it isn't illegal to buy banned magazines out of state and bring them home so i figured i would ask that also.

Thanks in advance and if this has been covered in another thread or should be in another sub forum, feel free to point me that way. I wasn't sure which sub forum would be the place for this.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Can someone give me a quick run down of whats legal to purchase and own in maryland?

A detailed response could go on for pages. What's legal and illegal makes no rational sense. It's easier to check with local gun stores if you know what you want. Check the forum's IP section and contact them.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Also, is it illegal to buy a banned firearm out of state and bring it home?

Illegal. Felony.

i have seen in a couple threads that it isn't illegal to buy banned magazines out of state and bring them home so i figured i would ask that also.

Possession is not banned. Just buying, selling, receiving, giving, or otherwise transferring possession within the state of Maryland. You can buy whatever magazines you want out of state and bring them home.

Kaiju

Mar 2, 2013
    Ah I see, so because possession of banned magazines is not illegal that's why is ok to go grab some out of state, got it.

I am thinking about picking up some flavor of AR15, so I will do some research on the specific kind and then see if thats available. One of the posts in the IP forum about colt LE901 is what made me think to ask since it went against my apparently flawed understanding of the law. Thanks!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes been covered, but not for a while, so I'll throw out a cpl high points.

Oct 1, 2013.

Basically everything that used to be a Regulated Rifle ( 7 day wait) is now banned. The new definition of "Copycat" also trips up some additional guns.
    The two most notable are AR-15 , other than HBAR ( remember that), and all variants of AK * as Rifle * . ( Certain flavors of AK pistol and SBR are ok).

Everything centerfire semiauto must be minimum 29in OAL, including SBR.

AR recievers can still be purchased, but must be built into HBAR, pistol, or SBR.

Yes HBAR profile is kinda vague, occasionally shifting definitions.

If you owned a now banned rifle before Oct '13, its grandfathered, even if you bought it while living out of state. An after Oct '13 purchase , you're outta luck, no can bring into state. No, there is NOT rxveption to temporarily bring in for huntimg or competitions.

For further specifics , search , or ask specific questions.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I am thinking about picking up some flavor of AR15, so I will do some research on the specific kind and then see if thats available. One of the posts in the IP forum about colt LE901 is what made me think to ask since it went against my apparently flawed understanding of the law. Thanks!

AR-15 just needs to be HBAR. Cash and carry. Federal 4473 and NICS. No MD paperwork.

scironic

Jul 27, 2016
    Jessup, MD
    Not to thread jack - I was looking for similar info. So, technically, as a MD resident, you could buy an HBAR AR15 with a 30 round mag in PA, bring it back into MD and be perfectly legal?

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    as a MD resident, you could buy an HBAR AR15 with a 30 round mag in PA, bring it back into MD and be perfectly legal?

Yes, provided you buy it from a PA FFL dealer, assuming the dealer will sell it to you. Many won't (CYA).

Kaiju

Mar 2, 2013
    You became a member the very same year the state dropped the EBR hammer on us.

Indeed, I was following the various threads about new laws coming in and found this to be a pretty helpful and knowledgeable group.

So the HBAR thing...I want familiar with the term so I googled it, so any heavy barrel or full length AR is going to be ok? More or less..

scironic

Jul 27, 2016
    Jessup, MD
    Yes, provided you buy it from a PA FFL dealer, assuming the dealer will sell it to you. Many won't (CYA).

All completely understandable. I've had better luck finding dealers with HBAR/30mags in PA than finding dealers with HBAR/10mags in MD. I've found one dealer so far with an HBAR/10mag, but it's a little more than I wanted to spend. PA seems to have better prices. Thanks for your reply!

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Go to your local gun store and see what they have on the shelves, that is what you can buy.

If you want standard capacity magazines you should go to the Nations Gun Show this weekend in Chantilly, VA and buy them and bring them back to your home in Maryland.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Indeed, I was following the various threads about new laws coming in and found this to be a pretty helpful and knowledgeable group.

So the HBAR thing...I want familiar with the term so I googled it, so any heavy barrel or full length AR is going to be ok? More or less..

Length is not the deciding factor, being advertized as having "heavy" profile is.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    You guys are going to do way better with some form of introduction to go along with your questions. Most here just see red flags with sprinkles on top. There is an introduction forum section where you can introduce yourself and be welcomed. The MDS vetting process differs based on information provided, current member sponsorship, or other verifiable circumstances or affiliations.

Count me in the red flags with sprinkles on top group.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You guys are going to do way better with some form of introduction to go along with your questions. Most here just see red flags with sprinkles on top. There is an introduction forum section where you can introduce yourself and be welcomed. The MDS vetting process differs based on information provided, current member sponsorship, or other verifiable circumstances or affiliations.

Count me in the red flags with sprinkles on top group.

Bingo....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom