• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Question for the brain trust. If you were going to set up a ruger for rimfire steel challenge (either irons or optics, or both), which model and which upgrades would you choose?

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I'm guessing you mean a 10-22? Put a BX trigger in it and rock it. Shoot a few matches then if you want you start with other stuff.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Depends. Anything except an original Mk I or Mk II. Mk III or IV are best. I use a heavily modified Mk III (non-22/45 although they work also) that only has one original Ruger part in it, the bolt. Every other part is from the specialized 3rd party suppliers. Easier for a non-Ruger owner to buy the MK IV as its much easier to disassemble for cleaning than the originals. I advise getting a lightweight model as lighter guns can be moved faster but you can build to that after owning it if you wish. I was already doing steel with a Browning when I built my Ruger (we call them Frankenrugers when they have little or no factory parts). You will need at least 5 magazines (5 + a spare is best).

My Mk III has a Tactical Solutions alloy upper receiver and barrel assembly, a Volquartsen alloy lower receiver with Volquartsen competition trigger pre-installed, Bear Cave 90 degree C-More mount and C-More red dot, Ruger bolt with Tandemkross titanium firing pin and parts and several more Tandemkross parts spread around also plus on the magazines. I made my own thumbrest (made ones are available now).
    For iron sights most of the parts would be the same except the red dot and mount would be replaced by a set of Williams Firesights fiber optic sights.
    Ruger has made a 22/45 Lite Mk III model which includes the alloy upper and lower so you don't need those parts aftermarket. I don't think they have a Mk IV LW model but they will likely bring one out.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Since you are asking I would make the assumption you are fairly new to the action type competition games and testing the waters. So I imagine you need to keep costs reasonable, as well. I would suggest a Mk III or IV simply because of the location of the mag release. Get the mags, practice, determine the most reliable ammunition, shoot the matches and have fun.

If you don't use iron sights well get the Ruger mount and a TRS 25 Red Dot. Typical course of fire is 5 strings of 5 targets. Hence the 5 mags plus a spare. If you find yourself liking it, get a Volquartzen hammer, sear, bushing and trigger. Prove safe and enjoy a nice trigger. Other format stocks may provide improved hold on the pistol so you may experiment there at any time.

I used something similar to this years back but now I use a 1911 22 Conversion on a dedicated frame.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Go to a rimfire match and watch. People will be more than happy to show you different options. I'm sure you could try a few also.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Since you are asking I would make the assumption you are fairly new to the action type competition games and testing the waters. So I imagine you need to keep costs reasonable, as well. I would suggest a Mk III or IV simply because of the location of the mag release. Get the mags, practice, determine the most reliable ammunition, shoot the matches and have fun.

If you don't use iron sights well get the Ruger mount and a TRS 25 Red Dot. Typical course of fire is 5 strings of 5 targets. Hence the 5 mags plus a spare. If you find yourself liking it, get a Volquartzen hammer, sear, bushing and trigger. Prove safe and enjoy a nice trigger. Other format stocks may provide improved hold on the pistol so you may experiment there at any time.

I used something similar to this years back but now I use a 1911 22 Conversion on a dedicated frame.

I'm not new to action pistol, but only shoot centerfire. My question was to get a discussion started on ideas for which frame (mark iv hunter, target, lite, 22/45 variants) and which upgrades people are happy with.

My instinct is to try a compensated 22/45 with a trigger, hammer and sear upgrade and a c-more, but I'm open to these other suggestions, thanks. I will likely do any trigger work myself, if that matters.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I started out shooting what I had, which at the time was an S&W 22S model, the pistol I was using to shoot Bullseye with my late wife. Other than cutting off the front 3 inches of the full length rail on top so I could put a Volquartsen compensator on the barrel that was all I did. Later when my wife physical issues prevented her from shooting any more I appropriated her Browning Buckmark out of the safe and built it into a Steel Challenge rimfire open pistol. Installed a Tactical Solutions alloy barrel and comp, Allchin rail and C-More red dot, did the Heggis flip on the sear spring, and drilled and tapped the slide for a slide racker. That was about it. At the first Ruger Rimfire state event east of the Mississippi in NC in 2010 I shot the second best overall score in the pistol stages. At the 2011 Ruger Rimfire World Championship in New Mexico I shot the 14th best overall score in the pistol stages (about 120 shooters). All with a pistol I modified myself. At 64 years of age, and I didn't start shooting until in my 60's. Good instruction helped a lot.

There are some good shooters down at Sanner's Lake the last time I shot there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom