• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It's not illegal. It's been the law for 40 years, along with "Good and Substantial".

At the state level, it was not illegal when the law was passed. But I believe that portion of the law was removed in the 80's, and it is definitely illegal at the federal level.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I sure hope MSI is taking some notes on this. :innocent0

I don't think anyone has remembered this, because this was all 40 years ago; and everyone involved is pretty much dead by now or in the nursing home, so the "corporate memory" of this phase of gun control was lost to the mists of time.

So uh...about that Stop and Frisk that DOJ talking about circa 2016 in regards to how BPD is racist...it's a crucial part of the "Good & Substantial" bill from 1972. :innocent0

Working on it, since I was three years old and growing up in Ohio when all of this went down.

How would you like an appointment as MSI historian?? :innocent0

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It is time to repeal MDs unconstitutional carry laws!!

See below for my favorite 4th circuit appellate court opinion, and quote!

The only question remains, whether people in MD will try more of the same failed policies. I predict yes.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    To echo what others are stating about the illegal stop and Frisk, from the text of the bill you posted:

36D. Limited Search.

(a) Any law enforcement officer who, in the light of his observa-
    tions, information, and experience, may have HAS a reasonable belief
    that (i) a person may be wearing, carrying, or transporting a hand-
    gun in violation of Section 36B of this article, (ii) by virtue of his
    possession of a handgun, such person is or may be presently danger-
    ous to the officer or to others, (iii) it is impracticable, under the cir-
    cumstances, to obtain a search warrant; and (iv) it is necessary for
    the officer's protection or the protection of others to take swift
    measures to discover whether such person is, in fact, wearing, car-
    rying, or transporting a handgun, such officer may

The key here is that the office must have reasonable belief that the person is carrying a firearm.

Red5

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2016
    Maryland
    To echo what others are stating about the illegal stop and Frisk, from the text of the bill you posted:

36D. Limited Search.

The key here is that the office must have reasonable belief that the person is carrying a firearm.

Sounds like they are going after guns... this seams to be a 2ndA violation.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

36D. Limited Search.

This is still effectively in MD law, recodified as MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-206, Attached is the entire section.

Attachments

• MD_CRIM_LAW_S_4-206_5-6-12_1234SEARCH.pdf
      18.5 KB · Views: 104

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok, I know the primary theme of this thread is the parallels between 1972 and 2016 about the practice and authority for stop and frisk. But I did take away some other interesting facts.

During debate, the MSP was expecting 50K applications for Carry Permits in first year. This would have been expected in light of recent experiences of various states that initiated a CCW process, or substantially ovehauled previous system. Instead, in six months MSP recieved 4800, of which few were from the 10,000 security related personnel with a different timeline. So to me, this sugguest a chilling effect discouraging applications from the start.

Adjust for the difference in overall population, and small representation from the security industry, that's a lot rate of issuence than in subsequent years up to present day. The catagories of persons seem similar to current, and the system of restrictions was vigorously applied from the start. But there would seem at least an indirect inference that within the privileged catagries there was more acceptance at face value.

In the beginning the HPRB did semi-regularly overturn MSP, but that didn't last very long. Would be interesting to see year by year data from the '70s to see when that changed.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    This is still effectively in MD law, recodified as MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-206, Attached is the entire section.

I was about to post that.

I found this at like 10 PM last night, but had to go to work :mad54:

Basically in COMAR 2016 (http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mdcode/), it says:

Md. Ann. Code art. 27, § 36D (2016)
    § 36D. Limited search

Repealed by Acts 2002, ch. 26, § 1, effective October 1, 2002.

I went and searched and found the 2002 Act repealing it:

Main Header

(House Bill 11)

AN ACT concerning Criminal Law FOR the purpose of adding a new article to the Annotated Code of Maryland, to be designated and known as the "Criminal Law Article", to revise, restate, and recodify the laws of the State relating to criminal law...

BY repealing Article 27 - Crimes and Punishments Section 2.....

36D

Reimplemented Here

§ 4-201 4-206. LIMITED SEARCH, SEIZURE, AND ARREST. (A) LIMITED SEARCH. (1) A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER MAY MAKE AN INQUIRY AND CONDUCT A LIMITED SEARCH OF A PERSON UNDER PARAGRAPH (2) OF THIS SUBSECTION IF THE OFFICER, IN LIGHT OF THE OFFICER'S OBSERVATIONS, INFORMATION, AND EXPERIENCE, REASONABLY BELIEVES THAT:

(I) THE PERSON MAY BE WEARING, CARRYING, OR TRANSPORTING A HANDGUN IN VIOLATION OF § 4-203 OF THIS SUBTITLE;

(II) BECAUSE THE PERSON POSSESSES A HANDGUN, THE PERSON IS OR PRESENTLY MAY BE DANGEROUS TO THE OFFICER OR TO OTHERS;

(III) UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES, IT IS IMPRACTICABLE TO OBTAIN A SEARCH WARRANT; AND

(IV) TO PROTECT THE OFFICER OR OTHERS, SWIFT MEASURES ARE NECESSARY TO DISCOVER WHETHER THE PERSON IS WEARING, CARRYING, OR TRANSPORTING A HANDGUN.

(2) IF THE CIRCUMSTANCES SPECIFIED UNDER PARAGRAPH (1) OF THIS SUBSECTION EXIST, A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER: (I) MAY APPROACH THE PERSON AND ANNOUNCE THE OFFICER'S STATUS AS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER; (II) MAY REQUEST THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE PERSON; (III) IF THE PERSON IS IN A VEHICLE, MAY REQUEST THE PERSON'S LICENSE TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE AND THE REGISTRATION OF THE VEHICLE; (IV) MAY ASK ANY QUESTION AND REQUEST ANY EXPLANATION THAT MAY BE REASONABLY CALCULATED TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE PERSON IS UNLAWFULLY WEARING, CARRYING, OR TRANSPORTING A HANDGUN IN VIOLATION OF § 4-203 OF THIS SUBTITLE; AND (V) IF THE PERSON DOES NOT OFFER AN EXPLANATION THAT DISPELS THE OFFICER'S REASONABLE BELIEFS DESCRIBED IN PARAGRAPH (1) OF THIS SUBSECTION, MAY CONDUCT A SEARCH OF THE PERSON LIMITED TO A PATTING OR FRISKING OF THE PERSON'S CLOTHING IN SEARCH OF A HANDGUN. (3) A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER ACTING UNDER THIS SUBSECTION SHALL TAKE INTO ACCOUNT ALL CIRCUMSTANCES OF THE OCCASION, INCLUDING THE AGE, APPEARANCE, PHYSICAL CONDITION, MANNER, AND GENDER OF THE PERSON APPROACHED.

(B) SEIZURE OF HANDGUN AND ARREST.

(1) IF THE OFFICER DISCOVERS THAT THE PERSON IS WEARING,CARRYING, OR TRANSPORTING A HANDGUN, THE OFFICER MAY DEMAND EVIDENCE FROM THE PERSON OF THE PERSON'S AUTHORITY TO WEAR, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT THE HANDGUN IN ACCORDANCE WITH § 4-20 (B) OF THIS ARTICLE. (2) IF THE PERSON DOES NOT PRODUCE THE EVIDENCE SPECIFIED IN PARAGRAPH (1) OF THIS SUBSECTION, THE OFFICER MAY SEIZE THE HANDGUN AND ARREST THE PERSON.

(C) WRITTEN REPORT.

(1) A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER WHO CONDUCTS A SEARCH OR SEIZURE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS SECTION SHALL FILE A WRITTEN REPORT WITH THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER'S EMPLOYER UNIT WITHIN 24 HOURS AFTER THE SEARCH OR SEIZURE. (2) THE REPORT SHALL BE ON A FORM THAT THE SECRETARY OF PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONAL SERVICES PRESCRIBES, SHALL INCLUDE THE NAME OF THE PERSON SEARCHED, AND SHALL DESCRIBE THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING AND THE REASONS FOR THE SEARCH OR SEIZURE. (3) A COPY OF THE REPORT SHALL BE SENT TO THE SECRETARY OF THE STATE POLICE.

(D) CIVIL ACTIONS. ON REQUEST OF A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL SHALL DEFEND THE OFFICER IN A CIVIL ACTION, INCLUDING ANY APPEAL, IN WHICH THE OFFICER IS SUED FOR CONDUCTING A SEARCH OR SEIZURE UNDER THIS
    SECTION THAT IS ALLEGED TO BE UNREASONABLE AND UNLAWFUL.

(E) CONSTRUCTION OF SECTION.

(1) THIS SECTION MAY NOT BE CONSTRUED TO LIMIT THE RIGHT OF A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER TO CONDUCT ANY OTHER TYPE OF SEARCH OR SEIZURE OR MAKE AN ARREST THAT IS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED BY LAW.

(2) THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION ARE IN ADDITION TO AND NOT LIMITED BY THE PROVISIONS OF TITLE 2 OF THE CRIMINAL PROCEDURE ARTICLE.

REVISOR'S NOTE: This section is new language derived without substantive change from former Art. 27, § 36D.

In subsection (a)(1) of this section, the reference to the authority of a law enforcement officer to "make an inquiry and conduct a limited search of a person" is added for clarity. In subsection (a)(1)(i) and (2)(iv) of this section, the references to a violation of "§ 4-203 of this subtitle" are substituted for the former references to a violation of "§ 36B" of this subtitle for clarity. Although former Art. 27, § 36B is technically broader than revised § 4-203, it seems that the legislature meant, when referring to § 36B, only the crime of illegal wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun specified in § 36B(b), revised in § 4-203, and not the crime of using a handgun or antique firearm in the commission of a felony or crime of violence specified in § 36B(d), revised in § 4-204. In subsection (a)(1)(iv) and (2)(iv) of this section, the former references to a person "in fact" wearing a handgun are deleted as unnecessary.

In subsection (a)(2) of this section, the introductory language "f the circumstances specified under paragraph (1) of this subsection exist" is added for clarity.

In subsection (a)(2)(i) of this section, the reference to a law enforcement officer "announc[ing] the officer's status" as a law enforcement officer is substituted for the former reference to the officer "identify[ing] himself" as a law enforcement officer for clarity. In subsection (a)(3) of this section, the reference to a law enforcement officer being required to act under this "subsection" with regard to certain characteristics of the person approached is substituted for the former reference to the officer acting under this "section" since only the provisions of former Art. 27, § 36D(a), revised in subsection (a) of this section, refer to an officer's actions when approaching a person.

Also in subsection (a)(3) of this section, the requirement that a law enforcement officer acting under this subsection "take into account" all circumstances of the occasion is substituted for the former reference that the officer "do so with due regard" for clarity. In subsection (b)(1) of this section, the reference to a "person's authority" to wear, carry, or transport a handgun is substituted for the former reference to a person being "entitled" to wear, carry, or transport a handgun for clarity.

In subsection (b)(2) of this section, the reference to a person "not producing]" evidence is substituted for the former reference to a person being "unable to produce" evidence for clarity.

In subsection (d) of this section, the reference to an action "including any appeal" is substituted for the former reference to an action "and any appeals therefrom" for clarity because an appeal from a civil case would still be part of the same "action". See, e.g., Md. Rule 1-202(a) - "'Action' means collectively all the steps by which a party seeks to enforce any right in a court or all the steps of a criminal prosecution.".

In subsection (e)(2) of this section, the former declaration that the provisions of this section are "not in substitution" of the provisions of Title 2 of the Criminal Procedure Article is deleted as included in the declaration that the provisions of this section are "in addition to" the provisions of that title. Defined terms: "Handgun" § 4-201

This was also recent enough to show up in the Maryland Legislative System Online:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?tab=subject3&ys=2002rs/billfile/hb0011.htm

Sponsored by the Speaker of The House (Administration)

and:

Roll Call Votes (Legislative dates are shown):

House
    February 15, 2002: Third Reading Passed (133-3)

Senate
    March 31, 2002: Third Reading Passed (47-0)

Frosh voted for it, as did Mike Miller. :D:innocent0

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    It certainly isn't illegal when done properly.

It's been legal since 1972; and was reauthorized by 133-3 (House) and 47-0 (Senate) votes in 2002.

If you aren't understanding these basic principles the conversation has hit a brick wall because you don't have a basic understanding of the legal precedents being discussed.

To be honest, I don't really care about Stop N Frisk.

The only reason I'm going on about it is because it was specifically sold as an anti-gun crime measure in 1972 (and then again in 2002 when it was cleaned up legislatively), thus I'm more than happy enough to point out just WHO passed it and that all these frisks are legal under MD law thanks to Mike Miller and Brian Frosh.

On a more serious note; I'm tired of being on the defensive all the time. It's why I haven't sent any money to the NRA other than member dues, but gave $25 to MSI for the HQL lawsuit.

It's time, more than time enough that we started pushing back, and I'm more than happy enough to use their own playbook against them.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm more than happy enough to point out just WHO passed it and that all these frisks are legal under MD law thanks to Mike Miller and Brian Frosh.

That is my point they weren't done legally. That also the DOJ's point.

The officer needs to have and show a reasonable suspicion based on more then a hunch that someone is armed and thus a danger.

Absent that the "stop and frisk" would be a bad search. Thats what the DOJ said the BPD is stopping and frisking on a whim and without articulating the person is or could be armed.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It's been legal since 1972; and was reauthorized by 133-3 (House) and 47-0 (Senate) votes in 2002.

To be honest, I don't really care about Stop N Frisk.

The only reason I'm going on about it is because it was specifically sold as an anti-gun crime measure in 1972 (and then again in 2002 when it was cleaned up legislatively), thus I'm more than happy enough to point out just WHO passed it and that all these frisks are legal under MD law thanks to Mike Miller and Brian Frosh.

On a more serious note; I'm tired of being on the defensive all the time. It's why I haven't sent any money to the NRA other than member dues, but gave $25 to MSI for the HQL lawsuit.

It's time, more than time enough that we started pushing back, and I'm more than happy enough to use their own playbook against them.

Welcome to the fight, brother!

As far as S&F, it's legal by MD law and if not done properly it's been under the leadership of Democrats for the last 50 years, either way, the Dems own this problem.....

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    That is my point they weren't done legally. That also the DOJ's point.

The officer needs to have and show a reasonable suspicion based on more then a hunch that someone is armed and thus a danger.

Absent that the "stop and frisk" would be a bad search. Thats what the DOJ said the BPD is stopping and frisking on a whim and without articulating the person is or could be armed.

That could be interpreted in the same way as "Good and Substantial" is. It depends entirely on which axe you have to grind.

Just sayin'... :innocent0

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    That could be interpreted in the same way as "Good and Substantial" is. It depends entirely on which axe you have to grind.

Just sayin'... :innocent0

True thats why there is case law on it. It shouldn't be a surprised to any officer who has MPTC certification.

It certainly isn't as open ended as it reads.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    "violation of the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments and Section 14141"

just because "its been on the books for 40+ years doesn't mean anything, it a violation of the Constitution and/or federal law. The laws of this country TRUMPS state laws, period. Want to see how many local/state laws that have been on the books since the 1800s but yet, a violation of the constitution? I'll give you the short answer, a lot and you don't have to be a lawyer to figure this out...just takes one to argue in court and thats the key. Local and states violates your rights and the only way to fight it, is to spend money, on a lawyer...thats willing to take the case. Swear THAT should be a violation of the constitution....

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    Hey "2A in MD" on facebook!

Here's a goodie for you:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/10/us/baltimore-justice-department-report-examples/

A strip search on the street

In the department's Eastern District, police publicly strip-searched a woman after a traffic stop for a missing headlight.

Officers ordered the woman to step out of her car, remove her clothes and stand on the sidewalk.

"I really gotta take all my clothes off?" she asked.

A female officer put on purple latex gloves, pulled up the woman's shirt and searched around her bra. No weapons or contraband were found. "The officer then pulled down the woman's underwear and searched her anal cavity. This search again found no evidence of wrongdoing and the officers released the woman without charges."

She was searched in full view of the street. The supervising male officer claimed he "turned away" at the time of the search.

In the end, the woman was given a repair order for the headlight.

After she filed a complaint, investigators corroborated her account with testimony from witnesses. The latex gloves were recovered on the street.

Why do I mention this?

The Washington Post
    Feb 10, 1972
    Page E3

Gun Control Debate Opens In Md. Senate
    By Richard M. Cohen
    Washington Post Staff Writer

ANNAPOLIS, Feb. 9—The Maryland Senate opened formal debate today on Gov. Marvin Mandel's controversial sun control bill and immediately became embroiled over the question of whether the measure's stop and frisk provision should apply to women.

"Is it really a fact that a policeman could search a woman, pat her down?" asked Sen. Verda F. Welcome (D-Bal-timore). "Can you imagine having a woman standing up against a wall and being patted down?"

The question brought hearty applause from Sen. William L. Hodges (D-Baltimore) and provoked more than an hour of debate on the subject.

Under the Mandel bill, a policeman would have the authority to stop and frisk a person in search of a handgun if the officer has a reasonable belief, that the person is illegally carrying or transporting a gun.

But Mrs. Welcome, backed by Sen. Rosalie Abrams (D-Baltimore) made clear their feeling that the bill's provisions were humiliating to women. Mrs. Abrams proposed that guidelines be issued on the frisking of female suspects.

To a background of snickering and giggling among the Senators, Sen. James Mc-Auliffe (D-Montgomery), a member of the committee that held hearings on the bill, explained that the courts would not tolerate "one standard for men and another for women."

McAuliffe was supported by Sen. Newton I. Steers (R-Montgomery) who said it would be a step backward to make a distinction between men and women. He said that searches of women might be conducted by female police officers and observed that "with certain exceptions, I would resent being palled down by some female officers."

A spokesman for the Baltimore police department, however, said in a telephone interview that female suspects who are to be searched are treated differently from men. The women, the spokesman said, are not patted down on the street but are taken to the stationhouse where they arc searched by policewomen. Exceptions are made, the spokesman said, in emergencies when the policeman suspects his life is in danger.

Despite the general levity accompanying the debate—a mood not shared by the female senators—the question was just one of several raised about the bill on its first day of actual floor debate. There are indications that a vote may he some time off as the Senate still has to dispose of the 17 amendments that were tacked on to the bill in committee.

:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom