• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD

Yup, for my Garand loads I clearly mark it in my chicken scratch "Garand OK" and I only use 4895 and 4064. :thumbsup: The 4350 goes into a bolt as well as the H335 which I just learned is M1 compliant but why take a chance when I have plenty of the other loads as well as HXP.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

Master Po's comments

These loads only duplicate military spec. velocities for the given bullet weight, using commercial cases and powders. If you are using military cases, drop all charges by 2 grains.

If you are looking for accuracy, drop all charges by 1 grain and work up .2 grains at a time.

Regarding H335- Anyone here ever loaded that in an M1 chambered in .30-06? It's listed in the Hornaday manual (10th edition) as suitable for M1 Service rifle reloads. I don't foresee a need to use it, but just wondering.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have known Charlie for decades. He tells people to not use handloads because there really are stupid people out there! He has repaired more M1's than anyone on here has even seen. The M1 is a battle rifle and as such is relatively strong but, it does have certain weaknesses, it is after all an old rifle. With more than 50 years of service and unknown thousands of rounds through them, rebuilds one or more times, etc. Parts, especially new old stock that were once common, are increasingly difficult to find. I am amazed by some of the comments from the "great unwashed key board commandos" in this thread. Any responsible smith will tell you not to use handloads. It is a way of looking out for your safety and helping avoid costly repairs as well as liability. I am probably the only guy Charlie has told that it is ok to handload, because he knows me that well and is confident in my ability. As long as you stay within the appropriate burn rate ( has to do with gas port pressure), and keep the load to within specs for the M1, keep the bullet weight within the M1's limitations and follow proper reloading procedure, you should not have any issues. Do not use powders outside the safe burn rate for the M1 because you can and probably will damage the op rod or worse. Look up Hornady's Service Rifle Load data or contact them for a copy of the handbook. They gave them out for free at Perry back in the day.

Crappy pic but, the M1 can be quite accurate. The flyer I own. When you go on Charlie's site, the third pic down is my M1A and the group I shot with it at 200 yds.

Attachments

• Garand.jpg
      Garand.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 196

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Regarding H335- Anyone here ever loaded that in an M1 chambered in .30-06? It's listed in the Hornaday manual (10th edition) as suitable for M1 Service rifle reloads. I don't foresee a need to use it, but just wondering.

I've not used H335 in the Garand, but, I've used W-748 and the Sierra 168 MatchKing.
    VERY accurate load in my 'issued' DCM M1 Garand from my sportsman's club.
    Serial #: 3547xxx. This rifle was 'set up' at Camp Perry, years ago.

The load used was straight from NRA Competition Division.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Again, it depends on which cartridge.

It is NOT true for all.

I'm not trying to be difficult and am only trying to pass expert information because an expert I am not BUT Mr. Lyman disagrees with you. I claim to be on the novice level even with the fact that I have probably been rolling my own longer than most here have been alive. I don't try and invent my own experiments but I do use the books.

Attachments

• IMG_4360.jpg
      IMG_4360.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 181
    • IMG_4359.jpg
      IMG_4359.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 182

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm not trying to be difficult and am only trying to pass expert information because an expert I am not BUT Mr. Lyman disagrees with you. I claim to be on the novice level even with the fact that I have probably been rolling my own longer than most here have been alive. I don't try and invent my own experiments but I do use the books.

If you read what I said, I said I was not sure about .30-06 cases.

But that not ALL military caliber cases are thicker than commercial cases.

But thank you for the reference on the .30-06.

And BTW, some commercial cases are thicker than others.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    PPU case volume average 71.23 grains of water, 185.93 grain average empty case weight
    Remington case volume average 69.06 grains of water, 199.63 grain average empty weight
    Federal case volume average 69.46 grains of water, 206.2 grain average empty weight

So it seems the "military" case is MORE capacity than the commercial cases.

the volume difference between GI .30-06 and common cases is less than conventional 'web wisdom' presumes and it varies with both so sometimes there is no difference at all.

I did find a couple of references that Winchester brass has the highest case capacity. So your left nut may be safe. :D

One interesting post was from someone who did a lot of measuring and found that with .30-06 brass, the case weight is not a good indicator. The mil cases had thinner case heads, but thicker sides. So the powder space was longer and thinner. And case weight has lighter, for the same volume.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    I am gathering products to begin reloading for my M1 Garand soon.

Thoughts on the following load setup

Hornady 30 Cal. (.308") 155 Gr. Boat Tail Hollow Point w/Cannelure Bullets

CCI Magnum Large Rifle Primers No. 250

Varget 48.5 gr

Once fired brass

Thoughts

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD

Varget 48.5 gr

Once fired brass

Thoughts

CORRECTION VARGET 47.5

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky

Varget 48.5 gr

Once fired brass

Thoughts

Just looking at the Hodgdon PDF linked above, 48.0gr is the max load.
    Why are you going with Magnum primers? If because of availability, I would reduce the charge even further to start.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Just looking at the Hodgdon PDF linked above, 48.0gr is the max load.
    Why are you going with Magnum primers? If because of availability, I would reduce the charge even further to start.

yep, you are correct on both counts, I have a 1,000 of the magnums and was just looking at the HODGDON chart. Going to 47 gr
    It notes starting charge at 48 and Max charge at 48, but with Magnum primer I'm thinking 1 gr lower.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Depends on what brass too, commercial or GI?

I'd check at least one more manual, starting 1 grain below listed max doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

For the bullets with cannelure, make sure the COAL is appropriate for .30-06, I have some that were made for .308 and seating to the cannelure would make them really short, so I ignore the cannelure and seat to appropriate depth

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Depends on what brass too, commercial or GI?

I'd check at least one more manual, starting 1 grain below listed max doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

For the bullets with cannelure, make sure the COAL is appropriate for .30-06, I have some that were made for .308 and seating to the cannelure would make them really short, so I ignore the cannelure and seat to appropriate depth

10-4, I will do a bit more research prior to assembly and verify the brass type.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom