• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    A buddy of mine is asking me a question about ammo comptability. I do not have enough knowledge of older shotguns to give him a good answer.

He said he has an older Savage S40E single shot he bought back in 1969. It is chambered for 3" 12ga shells. He was looking for a box of shells for home defense and the only thing he can find is High Velocity Winchester Blind Side shells. The velocity on them is 1675 fps. He wanted to know if that is safe in his shotgun, being that its an older firearm. I told him that personally, I wouldnt take the chance but I will ask those more knowledgeble than myself. Either way, I think I'm just going to give him a box or two of standard shells. Thanks for any input.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1969 isn't old , it's downright modern .

12ga 3in Magnum was introduced and standardized in mid 1930's, and the pressure standards have been substantially similar ever since . So it is certainly*Safe * from a pressure standpoint .

The potential issue is depending upon his choke and bbl thickness , the Steel shot could damage his choke .

Since at the moment your friend's best option is a single shot with steel duck shells , he's probably not concerned about battering the choke if needed for defense .

( But be a buddy, and hook him up with a 5 pack of buckshot or Fosters )

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks man. I knew 3” shells have been out a good while. I just didn’t know if the extra velocity would be an issue with pressure. I didn’t even consider the steel shot being a problem. I’ll relay the info and let him make the choice.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    1969 isn't old , it's downright modern .

12ga 3in Magnum was introduced and standardized in mid 1930's, and the pressure standards have been substantially similar ever since . So it is certainly*Safe * from a pressure standpoint .

The potential issue is depending upon his choke and bbl thickness , the Steel shot could damage his choke .

Since at the moment your friend's best option is a single shot with steel duck shells , he's probably not concerned about battering the choke if needed for defense .

( But be a buddy, and hook him up with a 5 pack of buckshot or Fosters )

Yes Sir.

an older Savage S40E single shot he bought back in 1969

Might be a bad stamp, guessing it's a Stevens 940E, by Savage.

If so, that 940 would be the side-lever version of the model 94 (top lever). If it is original, I "think" they were all choked full.

But heed Bigfoot's advice and recommend lead buckshot or slugs. And if it's actually what I think it is (a 940E), it only weighs 6 pounds, so maybe make that 2 3/4" buckshot.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Yes Sir.

Might be a bad stamp, guessing it's a Stevens 940E, by Savage.

If so, that 940 would be the side-lever version of the model 94 (top lever). If it is original, I "think" they were all choked full.

But heed Bigfoot's advice and recommend lead buckshot or slugs. And if it's actually what I think it is (a 940E), it only weighs 6 pounds, so maybe make that 2 3/4" buckshot.

Thanks for the response! I didn’t see the shotgun in question so I’m not 100% sure. I let him know that people more knowledgeable than myself recommended against using steel shot in that particular gun. I have a few boxes of buckshot for him if he doesn’t find anything else. So he will be gtg. Thanks again! I knew I could count on you guys.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If that's all he has , and Atilla the Hun kicks in his front door , by all means use the Steel load ,it won't blow up , or hurt him ( other than recoil ) , and a dimpled choke on his $100 on a good day will be the least of his concern . And probably not after just one round .

But you would be a good friend to slip him a 5 pack of ( preferably 2.75in ) Buckshot

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom