• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    Whats better - cardboard box or soft case?

I unfortunately don't have room for a safe right now. From a safety perspective I am okay - don't have any ammo in the house.

I have a Keltec KS7 stored in the cardboard box it came in with 2 large rechargable desiccant packs in there. But, I have noticed that the gun has a bunch of the cardboard flecks all over it.

From a longer term storage perspective, would putting it in my soft case (savior equipment double soft case) be better?

I am unsure as I feel like the cardboard box has more "air space" in it.

thanks!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Check out silicone treated gun socks. I think that in your box would be good. I have a few rifles in the socks, they seem to work.

71+y6pKvifL._AC_UL320_.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The problem with soft cases is that they often trap moisture in them, which can lead to rust on steel parts of your gun like the barrel. If you go that route, I would consider tossing a desiccant pack in with it.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    I will definitely use my two large rechargable dessicant packs in either the soft case or box. Just not sure if it makes a difference between the two

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Unless it is special acid free cardboard, it will cause issues if metal touches the cardboard.

I have yet to figure out how soft cases "trap moisture." If they are not porous at all, then they might.

Since they ARE porous, the only potential issue is if you put a cold gun into a soft case, then carry it into a warm moist location, the moisture will get in and condense on the metal. But it will eventually leave as the gun warms up.

I have kept MANY firearms in soft cases for decades with out issues. You do need to wipe them down after handling. I like BirchWood Casey Sheath or Barricade.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    thanks, this is very helpful! what kind of issues are caused by touching the cardboard? my gun has little "cardboard dust" all over it. its pretty new, have owned it a few months and havent been able to take it to a range yet

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    My father kept a rifle and a shotgun in soft cases in the front hallway closet for over 50 years and they suffered no ill effects. This was in a house that had no air conditioning so the humidity outside was the humidity inside, just tempered with fans. Once in a while he would wipe them down with oil.

You don't " need " a gun safe- a simple stack-on gun cabinet will cost maybe $150 and barely takes up as much space as a file cabinet. And it satisfies the legal requirements for 'safe gun storage'
    Btw I agree with Dr M. A gun without ammo is an expensive club.

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Unless it is special acid free cardboard, it will cause issues if metal touches the cardboard.

I have yet to figure out how soft cases "trap moisture." If they are not porous at all, then they might.

Since they ARE porous, the only potential issue is if you put a cold gun into a soft case, then carry it into a warm moist location, the moisture will get in and condense on the metal. But it will eventually leave as the gun warms up.

I have kept MANY firearms in soft cases for decades with out issues. You do need to wipe them down after handling. I like BirchWood Casey Sheath or Barricade.

I'm with you on this Pinecone...I kind of see the logic of people that worry about this but I've certainly never experienced it. Gun oil should protect it from the small amount of condensation.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My dad has a 60+ year old pistol from his dad. It gets oiled once every decade or so, then placed in a clean cotton sock and put back in the safe. No rust issues.

I think sometimes we over think things. I've got a Winchester M1 that was born April 1943. I doubt it was treated all that well for the first couple years of its life, but it's still in very good shape and works 77.5 years later...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    As long a you keep your gun clean and oiled soft cases are fine. Growing up we just racked them up on a wall gun rack and pistols were in the drawer at the bottom of the rack. You can put triggers guards in the long guns and lock the pistols in the bottom with ammo

Attachments

• wall rack.jpg
      wall rack.jpg
      30.6 KB · Views: 212

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    thanks everyone for all the input! I will probably switch to soft case with gun socks and some dessicant packs after a good cleaning/oiling

Mighty Joboo

Sep 15, 2020
    As long a you keep your gun clean and oiled soft cases are fine. Growing up we just racked them up on a wall gun rack and pistols were in the drawer at the bottom of the rack. You can put triggers guards in the long guns and lock the pistols in the bottom with ammo

My dad kept his long guns racked and high out of reach. Plus he taught me and my sisters about gun safety as kids so we didn't have any issues. His handguns though he kept locked away in a small little vault.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    thanks everyone for all the input! I will probably switch to soft case with gun socks and some dessicant packs after a good cleaning/oiling

Don't bother with desiccant packs in a soft case.

Soft cases are porous to air and moisture, so as the desiccant pulls the moisture out of the air in the case, more moisture will migrate in, until the pack stops working. In a few days.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I am a fan of impregnated gun socks for handguns and a couple special long guns. The pistol socks are one rifle sock cut just a little longer than the pistol. I have stitched the ends of some to prevent fraying. Once a well oiled gun is put in the sock there are no issues. Socks take up far less space in the safe and avoid bump marks as well as protect the metal from corrosion.

Two pistols are in boxes. The MkII Commerative in its original clam shell and the gun paper wrap. The second, a 10mm 1911 I just completed is in a box Caspian frames were shipped in and has become one of my build boxes. This is done mostly because of the annoyance of keeping the 10mm/40 mags separated from the 45 and 9mm/38 Super genre. And this shooter may go up on the for sale block so keeping the assemblage together. The oil incidentally left on parts at stages of the build keep it a noncosmetic issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom