• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Maryland Appleseed has had a rough Spring due to the range closures and social distancing requirements imposed by the State. We went from having a bunch of sold-out shoots and a whole year of events to a lot of cancellations, uncertainties, transfers to future events, etc. I know it was frustrating to attendees and I can assure you, it was just as frustrating to our instructors and state/national leadership. We have a mission, that mission is more important than ever, and we can’t perform it. But we are starting to get opportunities to do so.

Last weekend (June 27-28) we had our first area event since early March at Leetown Gun Club (IWLA) in Kearneysville, West Virginia. It is a great club – we had one of the range bays all to ourselves and the clubhouse had real bathrooms.

It was hot and sunny all weekend – high 80s to low 90s. When a breeze blew or we were under cover, it was downright pleasant. When we were in the sun, it was pretty damn hot and I was sweating buckets. There were threats of thunderstorms but we none rolled through. West Virginia was beautiful to drive through on the way there and back and it was my first time away from Maryland since March.

We had a bunch of our former and current Maryland cadre there – Cold Warrior, Aninha, BeSwift, Brickhouse, Double A Ron – along with 4 other students, many of which had been to a prior Appleseed. With that much instructor firepower, so to speak, I asked if I could shoot at the event. Instructors get to shoot for free but we don’t always get the chance to shoot due to class sizes. This one worked out just right.

My original plan was to try for a perfect 250 AQT score. Those are pretty hard to get – Maryland has 5 or 6 people who have done it (some more than once) but some states don’t have any. I have been in the high 230s to mid-240s at past events and in practice. However, those last few points are hard to come by– one 3 in an otherwise perfect bottom row and you lose 4 points. A malfunction or a mental lapse anywhere and you are done.

I packed my Appleseed-edition Tippmann M4-22 ( review here) and figured if I achieved my goal (or got too frustrated trying) I could switch to my CZ Scout, which is a fun little rifle to shoot. I almost brought an extra scoped 10/22 but it seemed like overkill to have 3 rifles for 2 days. The Tippmann is typically in the 240s for me (high score of 246), so I was pretty confident that it could do the job if I would do mine.

It didn’t work out the way I envisioned.

I cleared the Saturday morning Red Coat with the Tippmann and we got through Squares and Green Coat practice targets as well as 2 of the 3 Strikes of history. The Tippmann was grouping well - as long as you don't look at that horrible standing stage...

uc

The student next to me was having issues with her 10/22 – it was reliable but wasn’t grouping well. Still don’t know what the issue was but we did have several scope mounts come loose during the event (Blue Locktite is your friend).

She was getting pretty frustrated so I offered my Tippman right before the first practice AQT – the mission and students are more important than a patch. She ran it for the rest of the weekend and ended up topping out at an excruciating 209 score on her best AQT (oh did we scrutinize that target for one more point). It was her first time running an AR platform and she seemed interested in getting one. I call that a win!

So, out came the CZ Scout for the first practice AQT. It is a looker of a rifle, if I do say so myself.

uc

I did a review of my “adultified” CZ455 Scout last year. A quick overview of the mods:

1. Removed the rear sight and added a Tech Sights rear aperture sight (TSM120CZ) to the rear dovetail that works with the existing front sight

2. Replaced the compact youth stock with an adult-sized CZ Training Rifle stock

3. MCarbo spring kit to (slightly) lighten the trigger

Now, while I had not been warming up with it all morning, I know how to run the rifle and trusted the zero. I had practiced quite a bit for the 200-yard rimfire with my CZ455 Training Rifle (AAR here) and had done an untimed practice AQT at Berwyn a couple weeks ago, achieving my highest score with it of a 228).

The rifle validated that – I scored a Rifleman qualifying 213 on the first AQT of the weekend.

uc

We then finished off Saturday with a Red Coat – and those have proven to be a challenge for this rifle. On the Saturday afternoon Red Coat, I missed 1 in the 300 and 1 in the shingle. On the Sunday morning Red Coat, I missed a lot more than that.

uc

While I have cleared all of the silhouette targets at various times, the Shingle is my nemesis with my iron sighted CZs. I believe there are several reasons for that.

First, the CZ front sight is relatively wide at .08 inches wide, which is about 11 MOA (if my math is correct). As a point of reference, standard AR A2 front sights are .07 inches and national match sights are .05 to .06 inches. That makes the CZ front sight great for rapid sight acquisition and focus, but a bit harder for holding on the 3 MOA wide shingle (the smallest of all Appleseed targets).

Second, the top of the front sight is not completely horizontal – when the rifle is not canted, there is a shallow angle from right to left on the sight blade.

I know that both of these issues could be fixed with careful filing, but I am a coward :)

Whatever the cause, I have found it more difficult to hit the shingle with this rifle than even other iron sighted rifles (not easy in any event). I am going to do some focused practice on that, see if I can nail down a sight picture that consistently works.

After the Sunday morning Red Coat, we did one more sighter square to confirm zero (if you haven't done an Appleseed, that is a 1-inch black square and a 1/4 inch grid shot at 25 meters - I felt good about that) before jumping into AQTs.

uc

My first two AQTs of Sunday were a bit disappointing – 200 and 201.

I find that iron sights are unforgiving – they can certainly deliver me a Rifleman score and more (I witnessed someone score a near perfect 248 with them) but the wheels can come off. This is partly because you do not get any immediate feedback beyond your sight picture during the follow-through phase (the shot broke, you are holding back the trigger, and you take a mental snapshot of where you think the shot landed).

With a scope that can resolve 22LR holes at 25 meters (3-4X will do that), I can see that things are working...or that they are not and make adjustments. With irons, you just have to trust your sight picture and NPOA.

We took a break for some Dangerous Old Men, lunch, and plenty of water. I came back feeling fresh and the next two AQTs felt smooth and strong.

One of the concerns about running a bolt action at an Appleseed are the rapid-fire stages (55 seconds for stage 2 and 65 seconds for stage 3). You not only have to cycle the action each time but quickly re-establish your sight picture. With practice, you can be just as fast as any semi-auto rifle – I was getting off my first shots on the transition phases faster than the semi-auto rifles, the best being 9 seconds (and, yes, we were all doing the transition). I also typically finished the course of fire with 5-10 seconds left.

Cadence is critical – you still need to do the follow-through phase described above, but then immediately cycle the action, front sight focus, fire – rinse, repeat. This is where dry-fire practice can be extremely valuable. Learn the indexing point for your magazine while in position, maintain cheekweld, minimize movement while manipulating the bolt, run the bolt with authority, and reestablish front sight focus as soon as possible.

Both were qualifiers at 216. I guess that was my capacity with the CZ for the weekend. I was hoping for higher scores but this is a game of millimeters.

uc

To maximize the number of AQTs we could do for the weekend, we switched over to doing Rapid AQTs – that is doing all 4 stages (with 4 magazines of 10 rounds each) in 4 minutes. Problem being, I only brought magazines for 30 rounds (2 10s and 2 5s) for the CZ. Another bonehead packing error like not bringing an extra 10/22.

Luckily former instructor Double A Ron (who had already racked up a 234 on Saturday and was consistently qualifying as a Rifleman) had brought a second 10/22 that day with a customer trigger, nice stock, aftermarket barrel, scope, and 4 extra 10-round magazines. Did I want to borrow it? Yes please!

The first rapid AQT with the new rifle was not great – a 208. I switched ammo from standard velocity to high velocity (which it was zeroed for) and scored a 236 on the next rapid.

The next target was another rapid and things fell apart in stage 3. I had a unfired round that did not eject from the tight chamber (there is a warning right on the barrel) and so I had a succession of bent rounds as I tried tap, rack, bang drills and finally ran out of time. This happened at another event using a match barrel but in that case, I dropped a couple rounds in a stage. On a rapid, it is a killer.

We ran a boresnake through the chamber and barrel to get out any crud and added a little lube ahead of one last rapid fire AQT. This time I scored another 236. Like I said on the back-to-back 216s with the CZ Scout, I guess that was my capacity for the weekend.

uc

I decided to switch back to the CZ for the last Red Coat, hoping to solve the Shingle. Missed again and dropped a shot in the 400. Well, maybe next time.

Apart from the shooting, it was a wonderful weekend. It was great to catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, renew appreciation for our history, and get back into making Riflemen.

Some of you may be interested in our COVID precautions. We were outside (which helps), practiced social distancing as much as possible (spacing mats and equipment areas). I admit that masks were used sometimes but not all the time – hoping the distancing and fresh air helps. The Shoot Boss did have extra masks for anyone who needed one. We washed hands, disinfected, and did “chicken wing” style handshakes. Definitely felt weird coming from a state with a ton of restrictions and weirder since Appleseed requires a lot of close quarters coaching and loaner equipment.

I hope to see you guys on the Appleseed trail as we start back up in Maryland. Special thanks to my fellow instructors and students for a wonderful weekend.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    We have events at AGC in Marriottsville, AAFG in Annapolis, Sanners in Lexington Park, Sudlersville (Eastern Shore), and Berwyn in Bowie (where I am a member). I have worked or shot at all of them since Accokeek is about an hour from every one of them, it doesn’t really matter :)

Our summer shoots are sold out due to (mainly) rescheduling folks from COVID cancelled events in the Spring. But our fall events have plenty of spots and the weather is better for shooters as well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I still want to do one also.

But I have NO idea what my schedule might be like in the fall.

Project Appleseed Marksmanship Clinic in WV 27-28 June

Jim - great story on your use of the several rifles.
    It was great having you on the line buddy!

(Edit) - And I can confirm, I was watching and you did have the only 9-second first shot during a timed stage.

Actual AAR for the above referenced event in WV here and here.

Next event in WV (Kearneystown) scheduled for 10-11 October, 2020.
    Come shoot with us!

Attachments

• IMG_5016.jpg
      IMG_5016.jpg
      114.1 KB · Views: 312
    Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Dave, I knew you would be posting an official AAR with all the good stuff included. It was a wonderful event to see old friends and make new ones. Double A Ron and I are already talking about a future trip to Ramseur for a KD (which he hasn't done before). And thanks for the extra pictures on the AARs.

@Pinecone - totally understand. We are confident our July and August events will happen and are hoping that we don't have a second shutdown or retraction of phases like other states are going through. But we would love to have you out and if you ever want some targets or whatever, PM me and we can figure something out. Or just drop by an event to observe for a little bit and I will hook you up.

@MacMoov - great question. Let me check with Brian and Mike. National established a new KD Rimfire format for the year as well, so they may be processing that.

Really appreciate everyone's patience!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    @Pinecone - totally understand. We are confident our July and August events will happen and are hoping that we don't have a second shutdown or retraction of phases like other states are going through. But we would love to have you out and if you ever want some targets or whatever, PM me and we can figure something out. Or just drop by an event to observe for a little bit and I will hook you up.

Maybe I will try to stop by one this summer. Check it out.

I will try to make a fall event (cooler weather), but subject to forces out of my control.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Do you think there will be a KD event this year?

Ok, looks like we will be do only one KD event this year, most likely rimfire only, on Sunday, September 27. It is not on the official calendar for sign-up yet, but will eventually land here. There are still some things to work through with the club, so no guarantees.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Maybe I will try to stop by one this summer. Check it out.

I will try to make a fall event (cooler weather), but subject to forces out of my control.

We have (sold out) events at AAFG in Annapolis on July 18 and August 15 if you want to check it out. While it is a private club, the gate will be open for the event. Ask for Jim - I will be in the green hat.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Ok, looks like we will be do only one KD event this year, most likely rimfire only, on Sunday, September 27. It is not on the official calendar for sign-up yet, but will eventually land here. There are still some things to work through with the club, so no guarantees.

I have a match on the 27th, so I will not be able to attend that day. I will keep my eyes on the calendar to see if the date changes. If it doesn't work out this year I will give it another try next year. I have a KD rocker from my first try (with my CZ455.) I would love to get a second one.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Is the barrel glued in? Do you play with grub screw and action screw torque? Did you bed the action and barrel? DJ on rfc has some pretty good info on bedding and tuning 455.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Is the barrel glued in? Do you play with grub screw and action screw torque? Did you bed the action and barrel? DJ on rfc has some pretty good info on bedding and tuning 455.

No, this one is pretty stock and isn't a long range precision trainer or anything. My CZs are all iron sighted and so I haven't gone that route, even though my Military Trainer has qualified out to 200 yards. But I should read up because I never leave good enough alone :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    We have (sold out) events at AAFG in Annapolis on July 18 and August 15 if you want to check it out. While it is a private club, the gate will be open for the event. Ask for Jim - I will be in the green hat.

I am at the track teaching on the 18th.

May try to make the August one.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    If you are looking for the advanced courses, the known distance (KD) shoots are awesome (positional shooting at 100-400 meters) as are the unknown distance course, where you are doing target location and ranging even further than that. We don’t have ranges for either in Maryland. But there are some in PA, OH, and NC - I made the drive down to NC last year and it was worth it. There is an AAR on it linked in the 2019 year-end post for Appleseed. We do have the 200 yd rimfire events that are also heavy on scope adjustment and holdovers while being lighter on history (really only 20 minutes of history at those).

We also have Rifleman’s Boot Camps (RBCs) that are a week long shooting extravaganza. You do tons of KD and 25 meter stuff and hang out with some great folks. I hope to do one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom