• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I have a 3rd grader who wants to play the violin. The teacher recommended rental.

Please “virtual school” me on this topic. Any and all info will be appreciated . thanks!

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I still have the violin my son "rented" when he was in elementary school. Probably ended up costing me about $800. Cheaper to buy one unless he gives it up in a year or two.

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    20 years ago or so I was convinced I was going to start a band, my folks were convinced otherwise. Instead of buying me a guitar, they rented one from a music shop. It got returned like 4 months later when I'd moved on to some other teenaged interest.
    I don't know if this is the same store, but it's about the same location that we rented from back in the day. Couldn't tell you prices, but worth a call!

https://www.musicarts.com/rentals/locations/md/severna-park#!/locations-by-city

Dec 31, 2012
    Rent for the first year and then look for used instruments if the kid wants to keep going. If the kid is truly committed after a year then consider new but not high end, maybe $500-1000. Avoid the cheap junk from Amazon. I've been through this with my kid years ago and the music teacher found us a good deal. It still gets used and sounds fine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are you asking about violin rentals , or about virtual band reversals ( and sectionals ) ?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I'd just buy a used decent student violin. Probably under $250. Let your kid fart around on it and play it in the school orchestra. They might lose interest and they might regain that interest, so I wouldn't sell it as soon as they drop it for a bit.

My sister picked up a used Franz Hoffman to fart around on and I picked it up this weekend. Seemed like a decent instrument. I'm not a fiddle player, but do know my way around instruments (horns and guitars mostly). If they get serious, meet their seriousness with some investment in private lessons. Honestly, they aren't going to learn squat in the orchestra or band other than how to play whatever the orchestra or band is playing.

All that said, most 'band' instruments are horrible for developing a life-long love of music and hobby. The fiddle and drums are a bit of an exception. Most of those instruments don't translate to self enjoyment outside of band or school. Ask me how I know - I studied trumpet very seriously through high school and played jazz ensemble and marching band through undergraduate school. By grad school, I saw the sunset to my playing coming and started to learn guitar.

And don't let anyone tell you piano is the best instrument to learn. Guitar is hands down. Coming from a horn background it's an absolutely fascinating instrument the way it works and ties so much together. Easy to start and by far the most complex instrument at the same time.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I'd just buy a used decent student violin. Probably under $250. Let your kid fart around on it and play it in the school orchestra. They might lose interest and they might regain that interest, so I wouldn't sell it as soon as they drop it for a bit.

My sister picked up a used Franz Hoffman to fart around on and I picked it up this weekend. Seemed like a decent instrument. I'm not a fiddle player, but do know my way around instruments (horns and guitars mostly). If they get serious, meet their seriousness with some investment in private lessons. Honestly, they aren't going to learn squat in the orchestra or band other than how to play whatever the orchestra or band is playing.

All that said, most 'band' instruments are horrible for developing a life-long love of music and hobby. The fiddle and drums are a bit of an exception. Most of those instruments don't translate to self enjoyment outside of band or school. Ask me how I know - I studied trumpet very seriously through high school and played jazz ensemble and marching band through undergraduate school. By grad school, I saw the sunset to my playing coming and started to learn guitar.

And don't let anyone tell you piano is the best instrument to learn. Guitar is hands down. Coming from a horn background it's an absolutely fascinating instrument the way it works and ties so much together. Easy to start and by far the most complex instrument at the same time.

Sorry but I gotta disagree. This is what I do my friend, starting my 24th year as a instrumental music teacher and have taught just about every level. Im doing elem band and orchestra now.

First of all rent a violin, your third grader probably isn't big enough to play a full size instrument, they should measure them at the store, and once they outgrow the smaller instrument you can trade it in on a larger one and the rental money should transfer. You don't want to get stuck buying an instrument your kid will outgrow. Also DONT buy an Internet instrument, go to the music store that has violins. I know the price of an amazon "violin looking thing" is tempting but be strong grasshopper. The quality of those VLTs is questionable at best.

Secondly, Band and Orchestra instrument can definitely be a life long thing. I have a Bachelors and Masters, have traveled the world, and still make an income as a Trumpet player. I didn't pay nearly anything for my degrees and got to travel with some great bands. No matter the instrument if the student gets hooked the sky is the limit. Guitar is cool, Trumpet is cool, heck Oboe is even cool. Get a good instrument that can be enjoyed instead of an obstacle.

Sorry you had such a bad experience Antarctica, but any quality program will teach the students more than just the music you are playing.

Let me know if you need help navigating this strange musical world.

TD

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My son wanted to play the f*cking harp. In order to learn the harp, you need a f*cking harp. He has been taking lessons for 8 years and is pretty good. It might be good for a scholarship, so his harp teacher says. We spent $10,000 on a f*cking harp.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless they are about to become music majors , or they were inherently prodigy level , doing paid gigs with grown up symphonies while in HS , 90% plus of HS players never touch ( that) instrument again after graduating .

Mind you , I'm not saying anything was wasted or pointless . They learned things that will stay with them , that helped develop reasoning skills in other subjects , enjoyed themselves , and great teamwork . But ( Unless you became a music major ) it was a step , and then you moved on .

Teenagers and twenty - somthings getting to jam out on Friday night with french horn ,oboe, and tuba isn't really a thing .

And , somewhat arguably , if your ultimate life goal IS getting down with your buddies to play ( fill in blank genre ) in solo up to bar band size groupings , playing in school orchestra first works against you , instead of helping .

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    If you decide to check out purchase...check out Appalachian Bluegrass on Frederick Road in Catonsville.....we're three for three on very nice used violins from there. Wife, Son, and Daughter all have fiddles from there. Don't know what COVID has done to them, but they have (had) a very good private lessons program. It was $25/half hour, payable a month at a time. Kids had been at Music and Arts for lessons, but was more expensive and don't think the instructors were as good. BTW - don't let Bluegrass bother you....my son was doing Irish, European Folk, American Country, Folk, and Bluegrass.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    You don't have to be a music major to get real good at music. I know many people in non music professions who are pro level musicians. One of the coolest things about music is it can be enjoyed on so many different levels.

It is a fact though that kids in music groups who play an instrument are better problem solvers, usually have good grades, and have good work ethics.

Now if your goal is to just beat on a guitar on Fridays with friends as stated, well then have fun. However being in a school orchestra would NOT hurt anyone. Music reading, ensemble playing, and learning how a group works are all things any musician needs.

Much like firearms, talk to people with experience and make a good decision. I never had any former student tell me they were happy they stopped playing, but countless have regretted it.

TD

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Thank you all! Great advice. Music is a great skill to learn and just glad our 3rd grader is interested in playing an instrument. Hope he sticks with it.

Thanks guys!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ask any pro, or pro level, or nearly so, rock,country, blues , or bluegrass player , and 90% can't read music .

Most common advice from above , is to the general effect of " get rid of that written music stuff , it's just holding you back " .

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I went through this with 3 kids. There is a store/rental called Menchy's. You can rent to own and any repairs will be covered. You can end at any time and trade in.
    My son started with the trombone and now excels at the guitar. He plays for hours every day.
    Give them a shout.

The instrument rental industry is a scam I rented a trumpet for two years in elementary school before my parents finally realized it was going to be far cheaper just to buy one. I realized that most parents decide on the rental because they don't think their child will stick with it so it's kind of a Gamble but if you rent one for two years to try to determine whether or not your kid is going to stick with it you've basically spent the cost of a new instrument. What I would not do is buy an expensive one. Try to buy secondhand if you can...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I was playing my trumpet working on brass quintet music tonight for a gig coming up Saturday. I was also playing drums tonight working on tunes for church on Sunday morning, and a rehearsal tonight. (Thursday) I’m 50.

I’m classically trained on trumpet, but picked up drums in my 30s. I read music for trumpet, and although I “can” read drum charts, typically I don’t. Each has its place.

In your case I’d rent first, buy one later if they maintain an interest. That’s my advice.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I went through this with 3 kids. There is a store/rental called Menchy's. You can rent to own and any repairs will be covered. You can end at any time and trade in.
    My son started with the trombone and now excels at the guitar. He plays for hours every day.
    Give them a shout.

I rented a trumpet from them for my grandson. They delivered it to his music teacher, and when he decided to quit torturing us he returned to the teacher and they picked it up.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Ask any pro, or pro level, or nearly so, rock,country, blues , or bluegrass player , and 90% can't read music .

Most common advice from above , is to the general effect of " get rid of that written music stuff , it's just holding you back " .

That.
    Is.
    Simply.
    Not.
    True.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04