• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I need an electrician to replace my circuit panel and upgrade the house from 100amps to 200amps.

It should be a pretty straitforward job.

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It probally does.

Really what I need is to get a new circuit breaker. I can wait on the upgrade, but I need more breakers so I can lay down the wires for new circuits so I can finally put the ceiling back on my bedroom.

If I had rubber boots and gloves I would do it myself but I don't.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Turn off all the breakers in your current panel, pull the glass from the meter (this will disconnect the street power from your house) and switch it out :D . Just kidding, you will need an experienced electrician for that. A friend of mine is a licensed journeyman, been in the trade 20 years. Where are you located? I could give him a call if you want?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Turn off all the breakers in your current panel, pull the glass from the meter (this will disconnect the street power from your house) and switch it out

If I had the propper safety attire, I probally would; but I don't have the gloves, boots, mats or the glass cover to put in place while the meter is off.

That would be great, I'm in Towson MD. I'm looking to get this done as soon as possible. My room sort of is missing a ceiling due to this. (So I can lay wire for future upgrades)

gigawatt

Mar 6, 2009
    If you are just needing one or two circuits for your bedroom and your existing service can handle the load, you maybe able to use tandem circuit breakers. Who is the manufacturer of the panel?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I could add anouther tandum breaker, but in time I will be adding onto the house, and I'd like to do a few more 1 outlet circuits so I figured I'd just get a new breaker.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    i know a good electrician in essex, he does a lot of work up there. if interested let me know.

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium
    First off, I am an electrician, certified journeyman, and have done this work. :)

If you are swapping out the panel, you can just have an electrician swap it. If you are doing a service upgrade, which you are doing, you will need a permit and it will have to be coordinated with BGE, since you will need a new service cable rated for the 200A load run to the meter location, and in to the new panel. They will have to cut in the new service and, more than likely, install a new meter as well. The electrician will be able to run the new cable and temporarily connect the run going to your new panel to the old service cable still attached to the old meter so that you will have power until BGE makes it out to cut the new service in.

In other words, you will have one run of the new cable up the side of your house, next to the old cable, running to the meter location. You will have a seperate run from there into the house to the new panel. The electrician will connect the run going to the new panel to the old 100A cable coming from the meter that used to go to the panel, and then reinstall the meter, and you will have power till BGE comes to cut in the new service and remove the old cable.

I know a good company that takes pride in their work, based in Timonium, who would do the job nicely. I used to work for them, and know them all personally. If you want their info, let me know.

Hope that helped somehow, good luck with it!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I would love to have contact information for both.

The electric meter and panel are both located in the basement about a foot or so apart from each other.

If I could get the new panel put in and connected to the old 100amp service, then I could work with BGE to get the permit and service upgrade. The service upgrade isn't very important and can wait until spring time, but I'd like to get the new panel in asap.

Can this be done this way? I don't see why not.

Would you be interested in doing it? I figure I could buy the supplies and everything, I just need someone to unplug the meter and check the work if I did it.

And yes I do have experience with circuit breakers and electric.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Just paid $750 for a new meter box and a 200 amp panel.

If you need to upgrade a service (from the transformer or pole), its usually ~$1250 in MD, plus several dollars per foot. That would be done by your power company. With service to a new home, the first $100 ft is usually free.

As far as what order to do the work, contact an electrician and have him pull the permit and connect the panel. The county will inspect it.

After the county inspects the new panel they will send the power company a cut-in card, giving the power company the go ahead to run the new service when you schedule it.

sskijr

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2008
    Master electrician here... What county are you located? I am state licensed and licensed in Baltimore, Anne Arundel, and Howard Counties. PM me if you are interested in me taking a look at what you have. I have a baby coming in April so any work is greatly appreciated....

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Here's some pictures of the job:

IMG_0134.jpg

This is the whole set up. The power meter, the box, the mystery outlet, and the original Square D fusebox.

IMG_0135.jpg

The meter, the wire goes up through the patio and up to the insulaters on the house

IMG_0137.jpg

This is the breaker. It's physically overloaded in my opinion, to many tandum's. (Power wise it's fine, I captain planet my house)

IMG_0138.jpg

I believe this to be the orignal fuse box for the house. During the home inspection, we opened it and discovered it has 4 sockets for fuses, none of them are filled, but it is very much a live box, powering something. (Probally the heater). I would like to convert it into a simple junction box.

IMG_0139.jpg

I believe the ground is insufficient. I also don't like that the panel is grounded to the gas main in addition to the outside ground. Maybe gas mains have to be grounded, I'm not sure, but I'd much rather drop a second grounding rod.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The third "box" is just a disconnect. It has spaces for breakers, so that you could say put a 60 amp in the main, and 2 30 amp breakers in the disconnect, and use the disconnect for multiple large appliances, (typically your furnace or heat pump, or a outdoor spa or jacuzzi, in most homes). If its empty, then the breaker in the main panel is handling the protection, and its just there for the disconnect purposes. In your case i can almost guarantee its installed on the circuit coming off the breaker with the sticker that says "air conditioning".

The ground wire looks fine. Its not needed or required to be anywhere near the same gauge as the secondary distribution wires coming in. The gas line needs to be grounded because its a metallic path. I believe 2 ground rods are now in the code, but i always see them connected with just one wire.The gas line needs to be grounded because its a metallic path. Also natural gas moving through a pipe causes its own static electricity. When it leaks out, it causes a discharge, and when it combines with the atmosphere it becomes flamable.

Your wiring out of the panel however looks very Harry Homeowner. No offense to you if you installed it. The visable staples are crooked and bent, the wires are kinked and twisted, and it just looks sloppy. The piece of loose steel joist bridging in the photo is a hazard, its realativly sharp, and vibration/rubbing can cause it to cut through the loose romex insulation after time.

sskijr

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2008
    Actually, you don't bond the gas line unless the jurisdiction requires it. You generally do not bond it.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I inherited this when I bought the house.

Well, i would be on the look out for problems elsewhere. kinks, bends, potential shorts, concealed junctions ect. That and Harry likes to buy 14/2 wire and 15 amp breakers and recepticals for everything, "cause they're the cheapest". You need to make sure everything he touched is up to par. You have to sleep there.

Who has a link to the scariest electrical thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom