• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    For me it was a Henry 22Mag i won at a Safari Club dinner. VERY pretty rifle, but no matter what brand or vintage of ammo I tried, I couldn't get it to group any better than a shotgun at 30 yards.. It went to gunbroker.. hopefully one of you guys didn't get it. :innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I MADE mine bad. Marlin XT22. I made the mistake of having it cut down and threaded to put a suppressor on it. Threading was not the problem, cutting it down I guess the rifling either got messed up by the gunsmith or more likely the microgroove rifling did not like getting cut down and the rifling maybe changed bore size or something. Shoots like crap now.

Only other thing was putting a CMMG bolt conversion into a 1:7 AR. Twist too high and the extra .001 of the bore made it shoot like crap unless you were offhand at 25 yards.

Pretty much all other 22 Rifles have shot reasonably well. Best so far was a Ruger 10/22 with bull target barrel or the Savage B22. Both are touching holes at 50 yards from the bench with good ammo.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Henry AR7. What a piece of junk. Front sight fell off on the third shot. Stovepiped multiple times per magazine.

Cool to look at though

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I had an S&W Model 34 that required a small rubber mallet to extract the fired cartridges from the cylinder. Beautiful gun in nickel but Smith never could resolve the problem.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Savage A22 and B22 that I got as a combo.
    The rifles werent bad, the B22 was actually quite accurate and comfortable..

The magazines on the other hand... a modified "copy" (not really a copy) of the 10/22 rotary with a plastic "spring" retention clip which eventually broke on all 10 magazines I had (got 5 to 20 or so uses out of each). Not to mention that they never sat flush to the bottom of the rifle.

Newer magazines I believe are metal on the retention spring/clip area, and should be better.
    I keep intending to pick some up to try for the B22 that I kept, using a single shot adapter that I bought on ebay for now on the rare times I take it out to the range..

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Savage A22 and B22 that I got as a combo.
    The rifles werent bad, the B22 was actually quite accurate and comfortable..

The magazines on the other hand... a modified "copy" (not really a copy) of the 10/22 rotary with a plastic "spring" retention clip which eventually broke on all 10 magazines I had (got 5 to 20 or so uses out of each). Not to mention that they never sat flush to the bottom of the rifle.

Newer magazines I believe are metal on the retention spring/clip area, and should be better.
    I keep intending to pick some up to try for the B22 that I kept, using a single shot adapter that I bought on ebay for now on the rare times I take it out to the range..

As an 8 year old kid I has an old Savage 410/22. It was a true POS, some times it would not fire either barrel and others it would work fine. It was a 15 dollar gun from the local dealer, my first fire arm purchase. I guess it saved me on ammo, but I missed lots of rabbits and squirrels.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    AR-7 Hands down.
    Poorly built, unreliable and inaccurate. Supposedly it would float cased up. I remember wanting to test that and hoping it would fail.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Savage Stevens model 15 that I butchered as a kid. I bought it from a neighbor kind for $1 without a bolt. Ordered the bolt and received one that was close but wouldn't quite fit so I ground off a little from the edge of the chamber and made it fit. It works but not reliably. Yes I still have it. Waiting for another gun buy back in Baltimore.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    The AR-7 was my equivalent of finding out about Santa; it turns out that not everything in James Bond (or other movies) was true...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For AR-7, which manufacturer? There were at least 3.

Currently made by Henry. Mine is OK. It will float for a while, but eventually will sink unless you run some tape around the buttstock cap joint. The original ones had foam filled stocks that would not fill with water.

You could probably shoot some Great Foam into the stock to make the newer ones immune for water filling them up.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    70’s vintage Remington tube-fed pump rifle. It was cheap, it looked cheap, it felt cheap, and it lasted … cheaply. It was the Ford Pinto of plinking rifles. Didn’t burst into flames, though, so there’s that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom