• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Anyone have or want to share any experiences or provide thoughts/pointers on deer hunting at the Fredrick City watershed?
    I have been there and hiked a few times, carried my crossbow twice, Winchester M94 30-30 once, so technically hunting. I spent a few hours doing some recon hiking this summer, but haven't seen many signs of deer on any of my trips.

Only deer I have spotted, ran in front of my truck as I was driving out on Mountaindale road!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone have or want to share any experiences or provide thoughts/pointers on deer hunting at the Fredrick City watershed?
    I have been there and hiked a few times, carried my crossbow twice, Winchester M94 30-30 once, so technically hunting. I spent a few hours doing some recon hiking this summer, but haven't seen many signs of deer on any of my trips.

Only deer I have spotted, ran in front of my truck as I was driving out on Mountaindale road!

There are about 3x more hunters than deer there. I’ve seen sign a few times. I’ve hunted there a handful of times the last 4 or 5 years. Never seen a deer. Decent squirrel hunting.

Also a heck of a lot of non-hunters even deep in to the season. Have to try to get off the beaten path or you’ll likely have hikers, bikers or trail runners come across you at some point.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    You have to go in deep and be in the right place at the right time. There is plenty of deer but they cover a large geographic area. If you show up on opening day and go in a few hundred yards it will look like a pumpkin patch and is anything but safe in my opinion.

If I hunt the watershed it is mid week and/or late season. A good snowfall also helps.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Thanks for the follow ups. I was concerned that would be others experience as well.
    Will probably not go opening day for reasons stated.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I really shouldnt tell you to go to Cunningham Falls. It too gets crowded on opening day of firearms and all Saturday's. Go in deeper than a couple hundred yards from the road or parking lot.
    South Mountain also doesn't have as many members of the orange army.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Generic answer is all such places will be crowded within 15 minute hike of vehicle accessbility . Either hike further , or climb steeper terrain that most people skip over .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom