• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hidaro

May 4, 2021
    I'm wondering if this Larue upper (https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper/) is MD legal (for a new build, not a pre-2013 build) - because their .260 Remington version is legal and uses the same profile barrel (stealth barrel) https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-18-inch-predatobr-260/

I've seen some maryland forum users posting that they have Larue barrels but I never got to see if they got them grandfathered in. I'm asking Larue if they consider the barrel to be "heavy" as having that in writing is all I need.

Anyone ever buy this, or their stealth barrels?

Thanks

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Profile only matters in ARs that are chambered in (5.56/.223). You should be gtg- no different than the slightly larger 6.5 Grendel

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Most of Maryland's AR laws only apply to 5.56/.223.
    .260 Rem. is good to go. No need to be HBAR.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Ok i clicked the second link. The pic looks like heavy barrel. You may need to call them. The link did not state as such. Sorry

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The rule of thumb is that the barrel needs to be marked HBAR or Heavy or the manufacturer needs to advertize it as HBAR or heavy to be safe. Can't tell much from the link, it's a little bit vague

hidaro

May 4, 2021
    The rule of thumb is that the barrel needs to be marked HBAR or Heavy or the manufacturer needs to advertize it as HBAR or heavy to be safe. Can't tell much from the link, it's a little bit vague

If the barrel doesn't taper below .750, is that GTG as well?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

The law doesn't specify what the state thinks HBAR actually is. That's why it's been said to look for HBAR written somewhere. .75 all the way certainly seems like it'd be good (but I'm not a lawyer or an idiot Maryland lawmaker!). I have never had anyone measure my barrel diameteror even look at it.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan

My understanding is that the dimensions do not matter as there are no official metrics for a "heavy barrel." The only thing that matters is that it is stamped,or advertised, as a HBAR or heavy barrel.

Welcome to the stupidity of MD.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I don't see the words hbar or heavy barrel in that link so I would say no, not MD legal. IANAL

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Unless something has changed, Larue was not Maryland friendly. I've tried to have that conversation about "aren't your barrels really actually a heavy profile?".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom