• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Recoil essentially comes from two sources : The momentum of the actual bullet exiting , and the gasses escaping .

A Suppressor slows down the exit velocity of the gasses , and spreads the force out over a longer time period , thus reducing the spike .

And heck, shoot a bolt gun in particular and pull the bolt after a shot or two. You can still see the gases swirling around in the barrel and can. It pretty significantly reduces the amount of hot gases exiting, not just spreading it out over a few extra milliseconds.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hanging a 1 pound weight off the end of your barrel will reduce felt recoil as well....:innocent0

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    idk. i consulted a few recoil calculators (science) https://robrobinette.com/Gun_Recoil_Calculator.html

for a 556 55 gr going 3000 fps, the "Recoil Energy Due to Jet Effect " and "Jet Effect Momentum " is about 39% of the energy / gun momentum. The jet effect is the rocket effect of the gas leaving the gun.

40% is way more substantial than I thought. Putting a 1lb weight on the gun lowers recoil, but putting a 1lb weight that also slows down the gas and reduces the rocket effect as the exits lowers it even more. I guess theoretically with some holes in the rear of the suppressor you could have a recoil-less rifle.

Kinda hard to believe but physics is not my sport.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually with IPSC " raceguns" it reached a point with efficient compensators on 9x25 ( not misprint ) guns , the muzzle would actually dive Down .

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Lol, when I shoot long range matches people thank me for shooting suppressed as I’m laying next to them, meanwhile they are all shooting with brakes and it kills me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes me think of pirates of the Caribbean.

“Take what you can, give nothing back!!”

Seems to be the motto of the world we live in today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom