• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I think they're cool for the same reason I like a lot of other tactical stuff. It appeals to the lizard brain part of me. It LOOKS cool. The young part of my soul grew up in the 80s watching robot cartoons and GI Joe. This is awesome. The adult who owns my debit card won't spend good money for it though.

Have tried a few, the KS7 is awesome, 6lbs, 26", 13" LOP, non NFA, really low bore axis, it's tiny for a 12ga pump, only downside is that reloading sucks, and it really needs a rail and sights/optic, the carry handle monstrosity is flimsy and sucks. The KSG and in turn the M&P12 gives a lot of that up, it's really heavy and wide, and the dual tube feed complicated loading and you have to manually switch feeding. Mag feeding to solve the reload issue kinda makes it unwieldy as anything over a 5rd 12ga mag is pretty big. The bullpup design lends itself to a compact semi-auto, the reduced recoil and speed you can fire is pretty nice for tactical use, but the near impossibility to use it with a bead sight on top of the barrel makes it suck for aerial targets. There was a prototype 12ga bullpup design where the mag and barrel were flipped, the barrel on the bottom lowered the bore axis even more, and a nice wide loading port in front of the cheek rest should be really fast to weak hand dual and quad load, but had to single load from the ejection port on the bottom. Main issue it's a dying platform for tactical use, no matter how good a 12ga can be, a defensive carbine holds a ton more ammo, loads and fires faster, dramatically less recoil, and is far easier to handle.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I wonder where it is manufactured. I didn't see in either articles I read, whether it's actually made here, or a rebadged shotgun, like their previous shotguns.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I definitely agree that these are a very niche market and for the most part they are just range toys and/or a capable HD gun. But sometimes people just like to buy stuff because it looks cool. And thats ok. I mean, many of us, myself included, just buy C&R guns because they are cool and have history only to end up having them sit in the safe and maybe take out to shoot every now and then. To me, it's kind of the same thing. The Keltec fanboys are a perfect example of guys that like to buy stuff because it looks cool and is different from anything else. They love their range toys and are very passionate about spending money upgrading them. I have designed several aftermarket parts for Keltec guns and those guys eat it up. They also are very responsive about giving feedback, which is good and bad. Sometimes they just ask for things that aren't possible, but they give way more feedback than say HK purists. As an aftermarket parts designer, it makes things a lot easier to know what people want. Personally I'm always looking for a new opportunity to make something cool for a gun that doesnt have much aftermarket support. I guess my view is a little different than the average collector
    Good explanation. I’m a fan of letting people do what makes them happy. It’s jut not my thing.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    is it just me or does it look like some at S&W had a box of spare parts and was told to make a KSG shotgun with them. It looks very similar to a the KSG, but most pullpup designs are close, But it seems so disjointed and haphazard.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Very limited range toy, possible HD tool IMO, not seeing the fascination.

I don't understand these guns. I worked a gun show a couple of months ago, and the cheap Turkish bullpups were flying off the shelves. WTF do you even do with these?

I dont get it either.

Also has a 14.5 inch LOP, which means unless you're 6'5 it will beat the crap out of you. My shotguns have 12 in LOP and I wish I had a stock that made it more like 11 inches.

Maybe enough people will buy them that the price of Beretta 1301Ts will come down a bit.

I first thought Smith & Wesson had jumped the shark with the Governor a few years ago. This new offering is dumb. I guess being gimmicky and such is the new normal for gun companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh.

Am I the only one that gets absolutely zero excitement from these bullpup/ tactical/ double whatever shotguns?

It’s jut not my thing.

I'm right there with yous. I love SBRs. I hate bullpups. They're like holding a shoe box to your shoulder.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Bullpup shotguns are fine, LOP concerns aside. The decision you've got to make is whether you're cool giving up potentially speedy reloads in favor of a tube that holds 14, so to speak. Given that not a lot of people really practice off a side saddle or belt (or practice speed reloads at all), I don't think it's necessarily a bad compromise.

Really, the model to emulate in my mind is the High Standard Model 10B, which had a SUPER short LOP and was semi-auto to boot. A helical feed tube could probably work, but I've never seen anyone try to implement one on a shotgun.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    WTF do you even do with these?

'Choot zombies!

choot-em.jpeg

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    I don't understand these guns. I worked a gun show a couple of months ago, and the cheap Turkish bullpups were flying off the shelves. WTF do you even do with these?

I was interested in one of the Turkish AR 12ga until I found every single one would only work on high powered shells. If I get a 12ga toy, it'll have to like cheap target loads.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I was interested in one of the Turkish AR 12ga until I found every single one would only work on high powered shells. If I get a 12ga toy, it'll have to like cheap target loads.

All the ones I saw recommended high brass loads for break in about 50 if I recall.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Looks like they straight up took the KSG and added the DP12'S grip... and several hundred dollars MSRP.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Cross posted (also created a stand alone thread specific to this safety recall)

https://www.shootingwire.com/releases/8cc288bc-eeeb-4711-81bf-fb8348871cb4

S&W Issues Safety Recall Notice for M&P 12 Shotguns Made Before October 15, 2021

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE: M&P ®12
    Smith & Wesson® Issues Important Safety Recall Notice for M&P12 Shotguns Manufactured Prior to October 15, 2021

SPRINGFIELD, MS – Smith & Wesson Inc. has received two field reports of cracked barrels involving the M&P12 Shotgun. To ensure that all of our Shotguns meet Smith & Wesson’s high standards for quality, we are implementing this Safety Recall of all M&P12 Shotguns manufactured prior to October 15, 2021, to ensure there are no barrel anomalies or conditions that might adversely affect the safety, function or performance of the firearm.

We are asking all M&P12 Shotgun owners to stop using the product immediately. To begin facilitating the repair process, contact Smith & Wesson at 833-957-3476, or via email at MPshotgunrecall@smith-wesson.com, to receive instructions, as well as a prepaid shipping label for the return of your M&P12 Shotgun to Smith & Wesson.

For further information please click MPshotgunrecall.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom