What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I was thinking that exact same thing! :lol2:

The next thing I do at my reloading bench will probably be to clean and organize it - I think that would be a prudent next step before I embark upon rolling some more rounds.

And this is the reloading area OCD LLC

Attachments

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 169

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Got the autodrum powder measure set up for 29gr CFE BLK last night, and cranked out 20 or so rounds of 7.62x39 SSTs as a test. Looks good! Originally wanted to use an auto disk, but found out that the cavities didn't go high enough (and I didn't have a double disk kit lying around).

Speaking of which, I also only recently discovered that you don't need to guess to figure out which cavity size you need to use on an Auto Disk:
    https://support.leeprecision.net/en/knowledgebase/article/vmd-explanation

30 seconds with the chart and a calculator will get you great results with anything that meters consistently. Yes, it is definitely shameful I did not realize this much earlier, but it makes me love the Auto Disk even more.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Speaking of which, I also only recently discovered that you don't need to guess to figure out which cavity size you need to use on an Auto Disk:
    https://support.leeprecision.net/en/knowledgebase/article/vmd-explanation

30 seconds with the chart and a calculator will get you great results with anything that meters consistently. Yes, it is definitely shameful I did not realize this much earlier, but it makes me love the Auto Disk even more.

Find for pistol/revolver plinking ammo the attached table works just great with the auto disc. Not as precise as the auto drum but works fine for punching holes in paper.

Attachments

• AutoDisc Chart.pdf
      1.8 MB · Views: 87

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    My 350 gr accurate cast mold for the 45/70 came in earlier last week. Yesterday I casted 20 rounds and loaded the shells with 38gr of H4198 and went to a buds for some range time. The 45/70 was setup at 100 yards for Hornady 325 gr FTX factory rounds. The first group of 5 was low so I moved the fine adjustment on the buckhorn site up about 1/64 of an inch and 1 click up on the site slide. The next group hit the red in the target. I moved out the target to approximately 100 yards and cranked off 5 rounds which were low as expected. I raised the buckhorn site up one click and the next 5 rounds in the red. I did not use any gas checks and will make a few with gas checks to see if there is any difference.

Attachments

• 45-70.jpg
      45-70.jpg
      87.7 KB · Views: 122

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Find for pistol/revolver plinking ammo the attached table works just great with the auto disc. Not as precise as the auto drum but works fine for punching holes in paper.
    Yeah, where I was running into trouble was that the chart didn't have some of the rifle powders I was using. I just like the certainty that the auto drum provides... once you calibrate it, you're set, it's not coming out of adjustment because there's literally no adjustment to make.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Yeah, where I was running into trouble was that the chart didn't have some of the rifle powders I was using. I just like the certainty that the auto drum provides... once you calibrate it, you're set, it's not coming out of adjustment because there's literally no adjustment to make.

Agree. Have been looking for an Auto Drum but either out of stock or priced at 100 - 150% over MSRP. Grafs has in stock now so will most likely order from them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Started my mass production of the 7.62x39 SSTs, and loaded ~100 more of them. Burning my two boxes of SST bullets, and then I'll determine how much more I want to buy. There is a certain part of me that wants to use cheaper bullets, but that 7.62x39 brass is so expensive that it's kind of a "in for a penny, in for a pound" deal... recovering them in any kind of real action shooting environment is a lost cause, my AK blows them to G-d only knows where due to the crazy strong ejection. I may as well have an option for those distance stages that can really outperform my usual trashy combloc steel case.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    My AK has an optic on it, which makes a lot of these solutions a lot less than optimal. Still trying to figure out what my best solution is.
    My mini 30 spits brass 25-30 ft up and right from the ejection. I remedied this by using a strap on mesh brass catcher as a brass deflector that directs the shells downwards, making them alot easier to track and pickup. Perhaps you can fashion a brass deflector for your AK?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Follow up!

Good thought, I just finished doing that!

I discovered, I don't have a large primer press for my single Lee press. Darn the luck! And... AND the powder I purchased isn't included in the
    Hornady chart for Garand 150 gr bullet,
    Lyman book lists it for 150gr but not specific to Garand, says drop one to two gr's 46 on chart so 44 or 45.
    Hodgdon chart lists
    150 "NOS BT" start charge 49.0
    150 "NOS E-TIP" start charge at 47.0

Put it in, shake it all about and I'm going with
    45 gr
    :party29:
    Damn this is fun!

I loaded 8 rounds a day after this post... Shot those rounds yesterday. They fired perfectly, great action on my Garand, no miss fires, 8 rounds and the PING.. first time I have heard that from my gun!

Set up to begin loading more, didnt actually load any but I'm ready to roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom