• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    hey, figured i'd throw it on here as it's kind've along the lines of building an ar...the finding the parts phase....is this site for real or some kind of scam? they've got some crazy prices on random things.
    http://weaponparts.storesecured.com/items/TIMNEY-TRIGGER/list.htm
    ..their home page has a timney trigger for 194 bucks but then in the cart it rings up for 169.....i mean....if it's a real deal site, thats a pretty great price....but..?? i dunno

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    hey, figured i'd throw it on here as it's kind've along the lines of building an ar...the finding the parts phase....is this site for real or some kind of scam? they've got some crazy prices on random things.
    http://weaponparts.storesecured.com/items/TIMNEY-TRIGGER/list.htm
    ..their home page has a timney trigger for 194 bucks but then in the cart it rings up for 169.....i mean....if it's a real deal site, thats a pretty great price....but..?? i dunno

never shopped there. When I don't buy used I usually go to coldwarshooters, JT distributing, or yankee hill.

All three have reasonable prices and don't do the "we're backordered until july of 2046" bs.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Why am I never happy.

A rebuild begins.

Rainier Arms is my crack dealer.

Daniel Defense & Troy are my drugs.

Project 11.5 is under way.

bronco94

Mar 27, 2009
    Bel Air/College Park
    Thanks for all the information in this thread. An AR is next on my list for guns to buy, so now I need to decide if I want to buy a complete (the Colt 6920 is nice...) or put it together how I want. This thread will definitely help either way though.

oilstain

Oilstain
    Sep 19, 2009
    When I was doing research I found this awesome thread, hope no one minds me linking to a different site, but IMO anyone reading this topic would be interested in the information there too. It basically covers one guy's opinion and experience with ar-15s and how he would build one. I learned a lot from there and it gave me good info to search for to find more info.

Now, this was way before I even knew this site existed, but I was impressed by his thorough research. (It's a looong thread)

Great Info

If you just want the long and short of what he would build:

Look Here

I wen't with his CMMG parts recommendations (though the prices of course had gone up a bit) and I've been very pleased. I currently don't have the cash for a decent red dot, so I just threw on a cheapo red-dot, and some backup iron sites that cowitness. Works for now.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Just out of curiosity, after the rifle parts section is done can we do a section on what should be in a "deep" parts kit (the kind you would take to keep your rifle running for a carbine course (two day) for instance.....)

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Alright, I'm bringing this thread back to solicit advice, ask stupid questions, annoy those who know better and "get schooled" by those who think they know better. :D

I'm interested in building/buying an AR. I've got time (because I have no money :D), and while I certainly have the tastes and desires for a rather expansive collection, I'm trying to build/buy equipment with a specific purpose in mind. For this, I'm thinking medium/long range zombie killing. I'd like something that's going to allow its user to be "minute of the undead" at up to at least 200 yards, assuming the shooter does his/her part. Does this requirement rule out a 16" barrel? A 1:7 or 1:8 twist still good here, correct?

Optics: How useful would an Aimpoint/EoTech be at 200 yards? With no magnification, it seems like they wouldn't be very useful at all, but I admittedly know very, very little about optics. When using irons, I'm lucky to get it on a 6" circle at 100' with my SKS, so I'm thinking I need magnification. A simple 3x scope seems like it could be a good choice here, but wouldn't be much use inside of 50 yards, correct? Is there a way to co-witness irons with a magnified scope? What happens if my glass breaks?

Now before you continue reading, please remember how little I know about ARs! I'm seeking an education and some advice, not the rantings of someone foaming at the mouth as they frantically beat on the keyboard. ;)

I've consulted "the chart" and it seems like Colt is just the best rifle, period. As I understand it, though, not all of the desired features in the chart are must haves, and in some instances could be as useful as putting a turbo charger in an Geo Metro. I want something that if properly maintained, will be dead nuts reliable. I really don't want to regret not spending some cash when a given part craps out on me as the undead approach! At the same time, I wouldn't mind pocketing the "prancing pony premium" and putting it toward ammo if it's just a name.

Help me join the ranks of EBR owners so that I might avoid joining the ranks of the undead. :thumbsup:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Boondock....Build it and it will come!!!

$$ is hard to come by these days. Buy it piece by piece like some of us are doing. I have an AR thats taking me several months to build b/c of $$ and finding the parts that I want for this build. its still in several parts with exception to finding the flat top upper I've wanted.

Buy the lower and the parts kit that you want while you research the type of upper and stock you want to build.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Alright, I'm bringing this thread back to solicit advice, ask stupid questions, annoy those who know better and "get schooled" by those who think they know better. :D

I'm interested in building/buying an AR. I've got time (because I have no money :D), and while I certainly have the tastes and desires for a rather expansive collection, I'm trying to build/buy equipment with a specific purpose in mind. For this, I'm thinking medium/long range zombie killing. I'd like something that's going to allow its user to be "minute of the undead" at up to at least 200 yards, assuming the shooter does his/her part. Does this requirement rule out a 16" barrel? A 1:7 or 1:8 twist still good here, correct?

Optics: How useful would an Aimpoint/EoTech be at 200 yards? With no magnification, it seems like they wouldn't be very useful at all, but I admittedly know very, very little about optics. When using irons, I'm lucky to get it on a 6" circle at 100' with my SKS, so I'm thinking I need magnification. A simple 3x scope seems like it could be a good choice here, but wouldn't be much use inside of 50 yards, correct? Is there a way to co-witness irons with a magnified scope? What happens if my glass breaks?

Now before you continue reading, please remember how little I know about ARs! I'm seeking an education and some advice, not the rantings of someone foaming at the mouth as they frantically beat on the keyboard. ;)

I've consulted "the chart" and it seems like Colt is just the best rifle, period. As I understand it, though, not all of the desired features in the chart are must haves, and in some instances could be as useful as putting a turbo charger in an Geo Metro. I want something that if properly maintained, will be dead nuts reliable. I really don't want to regret not spending some cash when a given part craps out on me as the undead approach! At the same time, I wouldn't mind pocketing the "prancing pony premium" and putting it toward ammo if it's just a name.

Help me join the ranks of EBR owners so that I might avoid joining the ranks of the undead. :thumbsup:

Most of us need optics for 100+ yds. I've used a 4x32 ACOG on a 16" barrel and wished for more at 150yds. Just not quite close enough.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Going to Hap soon? I can bring a couple of my different set-ups, let you shoot them and decide which way you wanna go.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

You can definitely build something to do what you want at 16". 200 yards? Pshaw, that's child's play for an AR15. Barrel length isn't that critical for under 300 yards.

The "chart" is just a reference tool; if you aren't fast-roping into Kandahar you probably don't need to worry about anything other than making sure the bolt carrier is staked properly.

Like the last poster said: start piece by piece. Get an stripped lower and no-barrel upper to get started, then keep researching. The 16" barrel is 100% capable of what you described. In fact, there is a 16" "model" nicknamed the "recce carbine" that is supposed to bridge the CQB rifle and the long-range designated marksman rifle. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Recon_Rifle ; and the 18" version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_Mark_12_Mod_X_Special_Purpose_Rifle

Almost any 16" heavy barrel rifle will shoot almost as well as the "official" recce and fill the role you described.

Optics: some people make do with red dots at 200 yards, but if you are going to spend the $$ for an Eotech, you could research the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x variable and Millett DMS 1-4x variable (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=186660). Ar15.com's optics forum will provide you with HOURS of research materials.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I want in. I've got a 14.5" cmmg and want to do headshots at 250-300yds all day. as it's my zombiehunting gun. anyway, we'd be starting with a flattop, i worry that reddots obscure too much of the sight picture, but i've never actually used one lol. what kind of low power old school scope do we suggest?

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Time for my stoooopid question, as I proceed on my first build. How do I retouch dings on my lower? K-Romulus helped me build my lower at the fall shoot yesterday.

I tried to be careful, taped the vise grips, etc...., but I still got some dings that I would like to touch-up. Also a couple of the pins were a little tight and needed some extra encouragement, so they are shiny at the end and are very visible against the rest of the lower.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Time for my stoooopid question, as I proceed on my first build. How do I retouch dings on my lower? K-Romulus helped me build my lower at the fall shoot yesterday.

I tried to be careful, taped the vise grips, etc...., but I still got some dings that I would like to touch-up. Also a couple of the pins were a little tight and needed some extra encouragement, so they are shiny at the end and are very visible against the rest of the lower.

Black Sharpie...

Not to worry, once you play with it enough, it'll have plenty more dings!

Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom