• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I picked up this Savage 1914 at the HoCo show yesterday.
    The bore was dusty but cleaned up really nice.

I worked the action with snap caps and it seemed to be pretty solid.

The blue finish is in really good shape with just a few light scratches and some light freckling on the barrel. Stock is as you would expect for a 100 year rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_7538.jpg
      IMG_7538.jpg
      84.6 KB · Views: 296
    • IMG_7539.jpg
      IMG_7539.jpg
      32.7 KB · Views: 303
    • IMG_7537.jpg
      IMG_7537.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 300

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Very nice! I always liked those old pump 22s - easy to carry, proper proportion and scale, bespeaks of another time when boys could grab their fishing poles and rifles and just go to the woods and have fun.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Wow, I love 22 pumps and that one is very nice. That is the reason to go to Gun Shows ! Mind sharing what it went for ?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Nice looking rifle.

Unpopular opinion - am I the only one who believes pump actions should be limited to shotguns? No idea why I feel that way.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Nice looking rifle.

Unpopular opinion - am I the only one who believes pump actions should be limited to shotguns? No idea why I feel that way.

I like 22 pumps because they allow you to quickly cycle specialty rounds like a cb short or CCI quiets. Faster than a bolt action,but lighter and simpler than most autos. But now that you mention it, I never had any fondness for center fire rifle pump actions.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    He had it marked at $495. I asked for his best price and he offered it for $400 so I went with my gut (been with me all my life) and went for it. It was hard to judge the bore at the time but what the heck. And you never know about these old guns if something like a firing pin is worn out or something.

Shot it at indoor 75ft/25yds and it shot great. I’m still giddy about how well it shot.The cool thing about this savage is the rear site has screws for both windage and elevation so adjusting it was a breeze. The trigger is light and crisp.
    I had my Henry 22 lever and the accuracy was every bit as good even though the Henry sights were easier to see. I only had copper bullets but I think lead would have fed a little smoother. Out of 120 rounds only 2 misfires was me not pushing the pump all the way forward. When that happens, you feel the pump handle bump forward hen the firing pin pushes the case.

e7e66ab8b3eddfa719a83140f86c327c.jpg

0a52646578e6a11c7ffc3191362da8b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice price. Love the octagonal barrel, and your targets look great. Thanks for sharing.

Given that it functioned properly with 22LR is good news, but with the feeding maybe facing occasional resistance, might want to take a close look if there is a carbon ring build up in the breech area of the barrel as these rifles often had a heavy diet of 22 Short. Can of course be cleaned.

If I remember correctly, the advice with the earlier Savage pumps is also to stick with standard velocity 22LR, whereas the later Savage 29B is fine with higher velocity.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for posting this.

I have a very similar gun that was my grandfather's. It just says "Ranger" on the side and is a take down. I think he got it as a kid in the early 1930s. Every time I go to a show, I spend some time looking around for spare parts for it. My grandfather removed the entire bolt assembly in the early 1960s so that my dad could play with it. The bolt, firing pin and spring is now lost to time. I found the correct bolt at a show. So now I'm just looking for a firing pin and ejector spring...and then maybe it will shoot again. I did some research a few years ago and determined it was probably some sort of mail-order catalogue version of the Savage model 29X. But I lost the trail there. I'm really hoping to get the two missing parts some day so that I can give it back to my dad who is now in his mid-60s.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nice almost bought one of those at York, may even be the same one.

Savage made a neat gallery gun.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Took to indoor range today with some cheap Federal Automatch
    It did not disappoint. As I expected action was a tad smoother with the lead ammo. I love this old 22 Pump. This is 25 yards offhand.
    50 rounds
    2fbb6343ed87b0b6d57b7ecc9d4df416.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I like 22 pumps because they allow you to quickly cycle specialty rounds like a cb short or CCI quiets. Faster than a bolt action,but lighter and simpler than most autos. But now that you mention it, I never had any fondness for center fire rifle pump actions.

Growing up in SW PA pump action rifles were a popular alternative for deer hunting as semi-autos were (are still?) banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom