• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Here's a pic of the one I shot this morning. Typical eight with a little extra spike.
    He came up at my 4 o'clock -which as a right-handed shooter is the worst approach while sitting in a tree stand. He busted me when I tried to s-l-o-w-l-y turn my head to verify it was a deer. We had a nice twenty minute stand off before he decided to angle away from his original track (and me). I had to wait a bit for him to get far enough away so I could rotate my body for a shot. I got turned just as he was picking up his pace to enter a gully and disappear on me.

I only had a split second to make a shot and the only thing I could aim at was his ass or neck. I figured the base of his neck was best - that way if I missed his neck, it was a clean miss. I've seen guys who do a, "Texas Heart Shot" and it's a mess. Plus, if it's not a clean hit-the deer will go a loooong way. So I threw up the rifle, got the quick sight picture, and just as he broke over the edge of the gully I squeezed off the shot at just under 60yds. When he went down like someone flipped a switch, I knew I'd hit dead on.

When I went over to him, I found out just how accurate that snap shot was :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      110.1 KB · Views: 405

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Sorry. Ipad isn't letting me post multiple pics. Here's the deer after getting him up into my yard to hose off before the trip to the butchers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      119.1 KB · Views: 403

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Glad to see ya'll get'in some deer.

Got a piece of one yesterday around 4:30. Gave her an hour to bleed out.

Found 8 good sized blood spots with about seven yards between each spot.

Then an odd man out spot as she kinda back tracked 20 yards. Then no more blood to be found after 4 hours of circular searching.

I think the deer aliens got her. They pick them straight up and the blood trail stops.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I once had a doe get the deer aliens thing. She came out of the thicket and dropped some more blood then nothing, and it was all wide open field at that point. I think maybe it just clots up if it's not a real good hit. However hearing a shot up the way where I know the deer herd travels onto the next 2 properties, I think she went there and someone else finished her.

Major Major

Feb 19, 2013
    Frederick Co
    Venison tonight

He is on ice. Got him in poolesville dickerson area saturday morn About 50 yds with a 12 ga slug. Went through both shoulders at heart level. He went about 40 yards had him on ice by lunchtime.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      159.8 KB · Views: 359

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    He is on ice. Got him in poolesville dickerson area saturday morn About 50 yds with a 12 ga slug. Went through both shoulders at heart level. He went about 40 yards had him on ice by lunchtime.

It was defunitely cold enough yesterday to make ice cubes.

Congrats :thumbsup:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Here are two from the camp. Neither were mine :sad20: I couldn't get a shot off at the 10 point, that I saw for a brief second.

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
      photo 3.jpg
      153.4 KB · Views: 339
    • photo 1.jpg
      photo 1.jpg
      123.9 KB · Views: 338
    • photo 2.jpg
      photo 2.jpg
      130.6 KB · Views: 338

DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    After many years of being a PA hunter, I'm proud to share my first Maryland white tail. Nothing beats a snowy opening day in Frederick County!

Attachments

• Deer.jpg
      Deer.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 266

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    This was a mercy kill from yesterday. I quit shooting bucks this small some time ago but decided to stray from my 100 gross inch minimum and put him out of his suffering (and burn a precious buck tag in the process). I can't imagine how the poor thing ate. I would estimate that he was 40 - 50 pounds under the weight he should have been. Not much meat there really compared others in the same age class in our area. Pretty bad EHD tongue deformity but somehow he still had enough gusto to chase two does past my stand, grunting as he went. Pretty gruesome! Poor little bugger!

I was looking up EHD and found this on DNR's website, hopefully they can hook you with a tag:
    Q. What do I do if I find a dead deer and suspect HD?

A. Deer deaths from HD occur in the late summer or early fall. If you find a deer you suspect has died from HD, contact the DNR Wildlife and Heritage Service Field Office closest to you: Bel Air (410) 836-4557, Annapolis (410) 260-8540, Cumberland (301) 777-2136, and Wye Mills 410-827-8612.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/hunt_trap/deer/disease/hdfacts.asp

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    First time getting the chance to deer hunt in 5 years on Sunday. Nothing special but it will fill the freezer for a while. 123yrd shot dropped in place. Weighed in at 133lbs dressed.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    From October DIY in Idaho. I never realized how big these guys can get. Taken almost 3 miles and 2000 ft elevation away from the truck. Shot around 9am and finished packing out around 7pm.

Attachments

• Mulie.JPG
      Mulie.JPG
      94.7 KB · Views: 179

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    From October DIY in Idaho. I never realized how big these guys can get. Taken almost 3 miles and 2000 ft elevation away from the truck. Shot around 9am and finished packing out around 7pm.

Nice! What part of Idaho? Ive never shot a mulie before. Supposedly we have some relatively close by but Ive never seen any here. I saw hundreds in S. Idaho when I was stationed there many years ago.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Shot him through one lung with a 20ga Remington Copper Solid at 18 yards and he still walked another 175 yards before collapsing. Makes me askeert to use my 300 Blackout on Bambi.

deer 002.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom